Just rewatched multiple Va Tech games and....

The only way I see us winning 34-17 is if the guys wearing the turnover chain were dancing in the endzone right before putting it on.

We need to score off turnovers this game. It has been long over due.

Advertisement
The OL and running game need to have the game of their lives. Their front 7 attacks just as much if not more than ours. Their LBs are average at best in pass coverage, so we gotta work the middle of the field. CH23 needs to get at least 5 catches. Their DBs were up at the LOS a vast majority of the time, so their will be chances for our WR to make big plays. Their safeties play pretty deep. #6 for them and #22 are all over the field

On Off they run a lot of misdirection, so our LBs better wake up. Our entire DL has a chance to win the game for us if they ball out.

Until next week.

bros....you better prepare yourselves for 2 straight losses. its about to get really real

somewhere, in a galaxy far far away, a vtech fan wrote the same post about the Canes on their board

Agreed!! BUT the fact of the matter is VT is a solid team, they will come out and play fast and they will get after our Canes!! In this game for Miami to WIN, we need our OFFENSE to get on track and put up points.. Our DEFENSE will have it's hands full BUT they will make plays and I know they will be ready for that Hokies offense.. This VT team will be the best team our Canes face up to this point, SO this is why we have to beat them, THIS is a statement game for our Canes...

Advertisement
Their QB and OL don't respond well to pressure? Do any teams' QB and OL? You mention that they don't have much of a vertical passing threat - yeah, we all know that. that's not their MO - their MO is running the ball and some RPO. They are not a vertical passing team. As for our offense having success against them with draws and vertical passing, that's a big question mark. Rosier will go for some key draws, no doubt, but that's not the basis of our offense. As for vertical passing, we'll see. We know how Bud will defend - he'll stack the box and apply pressure to Rosier. Running will be tough to do against this team.

I'm not really concerned about their offense but I am concerned about our ability to score. This is the same style Bud Foster defense we've been seeing for years, emphasizing pressure and playing tons of cover 1 and cover 0. Honestly, I'd prefer then to try to press because Malik and the receivers have shown the ability to go over the top in man coverage. If they play man with a cushion, then Malik is going to have to consistently throw accurate short passes to work their way down the field. That's not Miami's strong suit. When they've scored, it's usually from big chunk yardage plays.

somewhere, in a galaxy far far away, a vtech fan wrote the same post about the Canes on their board

Agreed!! BUT the fact of the matter is VT is a solid team, they will come out and play fast and they will get after our Canes!! In this game for Miami to WIN, we need our OFFENSE to get on track and put up points.. Our DEFENSE will have it's hands full BUT they will make plays and I know they will be ready for that Hokies offense.. This VT team will be the best team our Canes face up to this point, SO this is why we have to beat them, THIS is a statement game for our Canes...

Their offense sucks. Go look at the Duke game play by play

VT TD legit 9 plays 71 yards
Duke INT
VT punt
Duke fumble on Duke 23
VT FG
Duke FG
VT punt. Duke downs ball on its own 2
Duke punt to Duke 42
VT TD

Half

Duke downs punt on its own 5
Duke punt to Duke 43
VT TD (including a Duke 15 yard personal foul during drive on 2&8 at 30)

Duke got in FG range twice at end and went for it on 4th and failed

Advertisement
I'm not really concerned about their offense but I am concerned about our ability to score. This is the same style Bud Foster defense we've been seeing for years, emphasizing pressure and playing tons of cover 1 and cover 0. Honestly, I'd prefer then to try to press because Malik and the receivers have shown the ability to go over the top in man coverage. If they play man with a cushion, then Malik is going to have to consistently throw accurate short passes to work their way down the field. That's not Miami's strong suit. When they've scored, it's usually from big chunk yardage plays.

My point exactly, our athletes will be able to take advantage of press coverage on the edges.

This game will boil down to two things...Malik and Special Teams. Malik has a bad game, we lose. Malik has a good game, we probably win. The only thing that could counteract a good game from Malik is VT special teams having a few big plays that turn the tide. Simple as that in my opinion.

Our run game will perform as it has historically performed in big games...underwhelming. Our defense will perform as it has performed with Diaz...aside from a few big runs and plays, they'll wreak havoc on their OL and QB while causing a few turnovers. When those turnovers and special teams plays happen could be key.

I doubt that we crush them, since we don't seem to crush anyone, but that team does have weaknesses if you watch their games. But again, we have weaknesses ourselves so not sure what to make of it. Overall though, I think the night game atmosphere will carry us and I hope the same goes the following week.

Two Jive Turkey Va. Tech's beat writers, Roanoke rag, already predicted that their team de jure would handily defeat Miami by DOUBLE-DIGITS. OUCH!

Advertisement
06cfd6cb93b1b2177754224437adf01e--dumb-and-dumber-movie-quotes-jim-carey.jpg

Two Jive Turkey Va. Tech's beat writers, Roanoke rag, already predicted that their team de jure would handily defeat Miami by DOUBLE-DIGITS. OUCH!

I've yet to see anyone "national" pick Miami, maybe I've missed something, but the consensus is a VT win.

Crush? nah but I think we'll beat them. I re watched the condensed version of our game last year and I remember feeling like VT just dominated us all game but nah we were in it for 3 quarters we even left 5 points off the board because Njoku tackled himself on the way to the end zone and Badge hooked a kick.

The game easily should've been 23-21 at 1 point and in 4th quarter Lack of depth caught up to us on defense and couldn't get off the field enough.

Advertisement

Their offense sucks. Go look at the Duke game play by play

VT TD legit 9 plays 71 yards
Duke INT
VT punt
Duke fumble on Duke 23
VT FG
Duke FG
VT punt. Duke downs ball on its own 2
Duke punt to Duke 42
VT TD

Half

Duke downs punt on its own 5
Duke punt to Duke 43
VT TD (including a Duke 15 yard personal foul during drive on 2&8 at 30)

Duke got in FG range twice at end and went for it on 4th and failed

The same with the UNC game, they had 200yds passing and 180yds rushing, they didn't overwhelm UNC offensively.
They had five runs over 10yds that accounted for 80yds of their total, the remaining 100yds came on 41 carries for a 2.4yrd average.
Jackson was 10-20 for 130yds, one play accounted for 33 of those. So he ws 9-19 for 100yrds aside from that. Their offense is far from dominant.

I think we crush them on Saturday. This team is vulnerable in multiple areas that we have strengths.

Their defense is susceptible to QB runs/draws due to the aggressive nature of their front 7 and can definitely be beat by a vertical passing game. If we can give Malik decent protection look for JT4 and AR82 to have a field day in the 1st half. Once they get loose, BB and Herndon will punish them across the middle.

On Offense their QB and OL do not react well to pressure, and as much as everyone complains about them I saw multiple delayed blitzes get home because Jackson is too slow to recognize them. We do need to worry about the pre snap motion as they like to run Jet Sweeps with their wideouts near the goal line. They don't have much of a vertical passing game and while they will be able to move the ball between the 20's our D should be able to stiffen up in the red zone.

Our team speed combined with the crowd noise will be too much for the Hokies to overcome.

Canes roll 34 -17!

We Already played a much better passing offense in Syracuse ((21st to VTs 38th) similar SOS)) and dominated there pass defense. And I dont think anyone would disagree that Dungey is much more resilient, accurate and productive than Jackson.

Couple that with the fact VT struggles with the vertical passing game (30 yards or more) which is our sweet spot and the game could very well get out of hand quick.

My dream scenario is a combo of how Malik started vs Cuse (13-18 with 5 drops) and how we started the second half vs UNC with a big play, put them in a hole early, make a stop and keep them in catch up mode all game. If that happens I doubt they sniff more than 16 points which we should eclipse vs there susceptible defense.

Final 31-13 lets ride.

Advertisement
Back