Just heard...

He just cost himself millions of dollars.

As a relatively raw, but talented player, let's presume he's a late second rounder (ala Randall Cobb #64).

He'll pick up a contract of something like 4 years for 3-3.5M with just under a 1M signing bonus.

Had he waited a year, worked on his routes, shown consistent production and played up the pre-season hype, let's presume he's a late first rounder (ala Jonathon Baldwin #26).

He'd pick up a contract of something like 4 years for 7.55M with just under a 4M signing bonus.

The Streeters (father & son) supposedly pride themselves on "making their own decisions" and taking an intellectual approach to things. This is not evidence of that. Awful decision, IMO.

/and I'm a guy who usually encourages the kids to go get paid

Advertisement
If I remember correctly he doesn't have to "buy is momma a house", and by that I mean they aren't poor.

Man! I hope the coaches can talk him outta it. He has so much upside and could be costing himself millions.

I agree dude is at best a 3rd round pick. I know some like to overrate our team and Streeter is talented, but this is a very deep year at WR, he would be best to come back and build up his profile. He would make a TON more money, but its the miami way to go at the scent of any type of money, kind of embarrassing.

His draft grade right now has to be 3-5 round, you dont leave early for that

Advertisement

As a relatively raw, but talented player, let's presume he's a late second rounder (ala Randall Cobb #64).

He'll pick up a contract of something like 4 years for 3-3.5M with just under a 1M signing bonus.

Had he waited a year, worked on his routes, shown consistent production and played up the pre-season hype, let's presume he's a late first rounder (ala Jonathon Baldwin #26).

He'd pick up a contract of something like 4 years for 7.55M with just under a 4M signing bonus.

The Streeters (father & son) supposedly pride themselves on "making their own decisions" and taking an intellectual approach to things. This is not evidence of that. Awful decision, IMO.

Tweet from the Herald says his pops wants him to stay.

I wasn't alluding to the fact that his father wants him to leave. I was referencing the fact that his father "went his own way" for his college decision and Streeter's approach has seemingly been the same even going back to the days of his recruitment.

In either case, I don't think it's a sound financial decision.

I wasn't alluding to the fact that his father wants him to leave. I was referencing the fact that his father "went his own way" for his college decision and Streeter's approach has seemingly been the same even going back to the days of his recruitment.

In either case, I don't think it's a sound financial decision.

Ok,I see what you are saying. Just wanted to point out that his pops doesn't think he's making a wise decision either. At any rate, maybe Streeter doesn't think our QB situation is as sound as others think. Who knows.

Advertisement
I don't see the coaches trying to either talk him into it or out of it. They have a tiny bit of experience with the 'ins and outs' of going into the NFL, how to maximize your personal benefit, and what you need to have to go high in the draft.

I'm betting they're laying out the options and the financial effects of each option.

Street has nothing to lose by coming back for another year and establishing some credibility.

But he does have a lot to lose by going early - or let's put it another way - PREMATURELY. As in MILLION$.

You have to include financial analysis in any decision to leave early.

And I know Golden and crew want what's both short-term and long-term best for the players - as it ensures they are able to maintain and even gain in personal credibility themselves - which will pay off with future players.

And let's not discount dad.

You know **** good and well that a good, intelligent father would never hold back giving his son good recommendations.

I know that every time I jumped into something too soon, it was usually for selfish reasons, and never quite turned out like I anticipated.

Honestly, Streeter has a lot to work on. Even when he was on fire this year, he didn't look comfortable catching the ball at times. I don't think he trusts his hands completely..

He has good measurables though, which NFL teams would drool over..

Life is never dull when you cover the University of Miami.

UM wide receiver Tommy Streeter had made his decision to forgo his senior year and enter the NFL Draft, his father and mother both told me today.

He had a long, long meeting with Coach Al Golden, and not sure if any other coaches were in there (don't think so, but not positive). Golden apparently swayed Streeter enough to make him wonder when he walked out of that meeting. UM coaches believe Streeter will be drafted fourth or fifth round, from what I've been told.

Streeter told me after that meeting that he still wants to turn pro -- yet on the other hand, he said he wants to be absolutely, positively sure of his decision. "I want to make sure I'm 100 percent,'' he said.

Sounds like he's confused, and understandably. Also sounded to me like he's leaning heavily toward going. If I had to guess, I'd say he's going to turn pro.

For UM's sake, hope he stays and gets that extra year in. He could cement his status as a first-rounder if he comes back. I think it could only help for him to show consistency in his success over more than one season.

Keep in mind, however, that Tommy is 6-5 and 217 pounds and runs a 4.4-second 40-yard dash. He is amazingly fast for a very tall man -- great attributes for a receiver. That won't get past NFL teams.

This won't get past them either: 811 receiving yards and eight touchdowns on 46 catches.

Yes, he's only had one great season, but he rarely played before this season. He was not a favorite of Randy Shannon's, and Streeter himself said he changed his attitude before this season.

"He believes he's ready,'' Tommy Streeter Sr. told me today. Mr. Streeter would like his son to stay in school, by the way.

Tommy Sr. told me TJ -- Tommy Jr -- "loves coaches Al Golden, Jedd Fisch and George McDonald, but he feels like it's time for him to move on.''

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...draft-golden-rumors-again-.html#ixzz1fbDEuXwQ

Advertisement
So we have 4 WR's going into spring practice. Thanks Randy

What position are we loaded at (by loaded, I mean a lot of kids not necessarily strong). It seems almost every position is short of players, but it's not like we had a ton of unused schollies. Saftey, WR, CB, DT, all positions that we are extremely thin at. Where are we hiding all of these players?

Advertisement
I agree with Lu. Strictly from a financial decision, he is costing himself millions.

Sucks If true. Streeter could have gone down as one of the greats I think had he come back next season.

Last edited:
Forston?

Because he wants to be on a practice squad? Join Jacory on the unemployment line?!?

Advertisement
Back