Just got off the phone with Spectrum re: ACC Network

OK, so I called in to Spectrum (Orlando) to do the whole "I want my MTV" thing, and to tell them if they did NOT add the ACC Network, that I was going to cut the cord.

And I'm not sure if I spoke to a complete moron (I have other reasons for saying that), but I was told the following.

She said that I would have to upgrade to the "Spectrum Gold" package (apparently, in Orlando, most of us are on the legacy Brighthouse cable packages), but she said that I WOULD have ACC Network. Of course, the drawback is that I would have to take Big 10 Network and all the other ****ty sports networks, but hey, I guess I have to do what I have to do.

I would encourage everyone to make the call and see if they reach a similar outcome.

Go Canes!

I live in Windermere and I cut them off a month ago. Switched to Hulu live.... haven't missed a thing..

Advertisement
By the time the season starts, no I'm not sure. But sometime in the next year, yeah I'm pretty confident.

I've tried cutting the cord before, didn't like it. I like my DVR, and I like to punch a button and have the TV come up and punch in the number of the channel I want instead of having to surf, wait for loading, buffer, not be able to pause and rewind with the same functionality. End of the day, I'm now paying for cable about the same as I would for a decent cord cutting provider, and cable is still an upgrade over streaming, IMO, so the price would have to be substantially less for streaming to get me to switch.

I do miss Verizon FIOS, not available in my area, but those ******** were also super expensive and inflexible on discounts and pricing.

Wow you must have had all the premium options and a bunch of other add ons because I am no where close to what I paid for cable. To each it's own of course but if I have to scroll thru the guide instead of punching the channel number in. I am okay lol to save money

Tried a few streaming options and completely agree. All of their DVRs are terrible, also you can't watch locals out of the area. Plus, as you said, they know you need high speed internet and high/unlimited gigs to stream. I got a better deal bundling with Comcast, without the aforementioned issues.

Yeah, that's the other thing. I get unlimited internet as long as I have cable. If I cut the cord and went streaming, I'd still be paying at least $50/m for internet, plus would have to watch how much data we use.

I applaud the cord cutters, though, they've really made it easier for us cable holdouts to get the best of both worlds with the better service cable provides at a price point similar to that of streaming. So, hey, to each their own. Variety is the spice of life and choice/competition is the bedrock of America.

Advertisement
Wow you must have had all the premium options and a bunch of other add ons because I am no where close to what I paid for cable. To each it's own of course but if I have to scroll thru the guide instead of punching the channel number in. I am okay lol to save money

Nothing too spectacular. I have the sports package and probably the one tier down TV package from the top of the line. So I get most, but not all the channels. I'm paying a little over $100/m combined for cable and internet with a bundle.

If I cut the cord, I'd be paying at least $80, plus taxes, etc. Figure $50/m for internet, but almost certainly that would be more with taxes and factoring in that it would no longer be unlimited data, plus at least another $30-40 for a decent streaming option.

So, yeah, I'm paying about the same for cable as I would if I cut the cord, but I also get a better product.

OK, so I called in to Spectrum (Orlando) to do the whole "I want my MTV" thing, and to tell them if they did NOT add the ACC Network, that I was going to cut the cord.

And I'm not sure if I spoke to a complete moron (I have other reasons for saying that), but I was told the following.

She said that I would have to upgrade to the "Spectrum Gold" package (apparently, in Orlando, most of us are on the legacy Brighthouse cable packages), but she said that I WOULD have ACC Network. Of course, the drawback is that I would have to take Big 10 Network and all the other ****ty sports networks, but hey, I guess I have to do what I have to do.

I would encourage everyone to make the call and see if they reach a similar outcome.

Go Canes!

Gee! A cable company wanting more money for additional channels. Who would have thought?

Before everyone changes their service provider, wait until this whole thing shakes out. To add a channel on some of these systems, they will have to take another channel off. Its either that or charge you more money to upgrade your subscription. More channels, means more bandwidth, which means they may have to buy more equipment. A few of these companies may already have spare bandwidth, so it won't be a problem to add the ACC network. Whether its Spectrum or Comcast or some other provider expect them to try and charge you more for additional channels. They know by now, this is something a certain sector of people want because of the calls they are getting. Enough demand only puts $$$$ signs running through their brain and their first thought is how much more can I get away with charging these people. Where is the price point that they are willing to pay and still keep them as a customer?

Advertisement
I live near you. I am in Central FL, too. I am cancelling and going with HULU Live. Saving a TON of money bc I only watch football.

My only problem is that I have 3 Tivo Bolt boxes (with lifetime programming) that run off of a Cable Card.

I may still cut the cord, but I'm not against paying for cable either.

At the best, most of these guys are talking about paying $100 to $120 for a wide variety of cable-cutting options. If I go with the quote I just got from Spectrum, we're looking at $185 per month.

Not being judgmental at all, everyone has his/her price point, but I don't mind paying a bit more and having the TiVo Bolt. I can skip commercials with one button and I can watch shows 30% faster on the "QuickMode" setting. It's great for blowing through certain shows, especially when I'm catching up on a backlog of recorded stuff.

I'm wondering the same. I'm 99.9% confident that UVerse will eventually have ACCN, but just in case it doesn't happen by the time the season starts, it would be great to know if ESPN+ is a viable backup option.

I called Uverse earlier this week and the lady didn’t even know what it was. I hope they get it but didn’t sound promising

I live in Windermere and I cut them off a month ago. Switched to Hulu live.... haven't missed a thing..

You live in Windermere, you can afford cable! Just kidding, though, it just depends on what anyone wants to pay and wants to get.

I just think it's good news that a couple of cable companies that have NOT YET announced are likely to have ACCN.

Advertisement

Go Canes!

Tell them GOLDen is a nightmare for you!

Legit no need for cable/satellite. Drop it and cop 3 things: ESPN+, Netflix, Hulu. It’ll be cheaper than a cable bill and you get way more except for this mid day soap operas.

Any way you cut it, you are gonna pay for it. These Cable companies are stubborn, they know the end is near for them so they are scrounging for every dollar.....Once Disney+ comes out, we may opt for cutting the cable cord....problem is, paying for all the apps to get all the content you want is just as expensive. Streaming TV is the wave of the future, we are just not there yet.

Advertisement
Im going to a bar for away games. I can do AYCD for 15 and watch it, way better than the extra cost from comcast

I'm gonna end up using Hulu + LiveTV. $50 bucks a month + 70$ a month internet from Spectrum vs doing the 200$ bundle Spectrum makes you get otherwise.

Or get Hulu LiveTV

I have been trying to research to figure out what I would need if I ended up cutting. This seems to be the best option that I could find. Lots of different ESPN channels including the ACC network. I would imagine that would cover all the games for being out of the area.

Advertisement
Back