Just a total indictment on the coaching and recruiting going on in coral gables.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what the "indictment" is.

the main point of the article is at the beginning where it states :
The conventional thinking is that in order to emerge from the pack of a bunch of mediocre ACC teams, UM needs more elite recruits.
But I’m not sure how realistic that is until UM starts winning big again, because the Canes have been unable, in most cases, to beat out Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson for the best of the best locally.

So we need to win to recruit better....this is not rocket science

I like the diminutive Barry. He tends to come out with some informative, fact-driven pieces. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I understand that most Cane fans can't stand Jackson. So what.
Agree Mack. Barry is one of the few S florida journalists who calls it how he sees it unlike most of them that just sugar coat everything going on down there in CG. The coaching and recruiting are at an all time low right now and this is supposed to be mannys bump class. If things keep going how they’ve been this will be mannys most talented team and we’re 3-3. That’s disconcerting.

Advertisement

The conventional thinking is that in order to emerge from the pack of a bunch of mediocre ACC teams, UM needs more elite recruits.
But I’m not sure how realistic that is until UM starts winning big again, because the Canes have been unable, in most cases, to beat out Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson for the best of the best locally.

Yes citizen your correct but the indictment is Diaz and this staff can’t recruit at an elite level or even an above average level. His defensive staff was the worst recruiting staff under CMR and now it’s continued with the whole team as he’s the head coach now. Say what you want about CMR but the guy could recruit at an elite level or atleast above average level. None of these things manny can do, so basically this is the most talented team manny will ever have here and he’s 3-3. Now he could correct this by **** canning his entire defensive/offensive staff and get some recruiters on board but the odds of that happening are about the same as winning the lottery.

Last edited:

Again, how is this an "indictment" on the current staff. Welcome to the state of the program for 15 years now and the sh1tshow the Canes will deal with as today's best players are front-runners who want to join immediate contenders, instead of wanting to be a part of some hometown rebuild. The game has changed and long gone are the Edgerrin James-type talents who are willing to sign-up for a few rough seasons, with the end goal of some 9-3 type seasons setting the stage for the program to come back AFTER that first wave of those 'rebuild' guys are gone.

You need great players to win—but you're not going to get those great players unless you're winning. That's an indictment on the type of kids playing today, opposed to a knock on the program or staff.

Diaz (or any coach at Miami) will have to find a way to start winning with that he / they have, while using the Transfer Portal to their advantage and getting the most out of the kids on the staff. The top-tier 5-star kids are going to keep going to Tuscaloosa, Athens, Baton Rouge and Clemson until Miami is a legit ACC threat. Period.

Recruiting is only a fraction of what's been plaguing us. Mediocre coaching staff's in terms of game planning and player development has been our down fall. Recruiting is merely a symptom, not the underlying disease. We could be recruiting at an elite level, but this staff would still keep the elite talent on the bench - case in point, look at Rousseau who finally is starting after watching Patchan flail around for the half the season. Patchan for as much as he's been through with knee injuries, is just not on Rousseau's level; yet the former was getting so many more snaps then the latter.

Advertisement
When was the last time anyone in the Coastal division out recruited us - based on national ranking? Let alone the fact that haven't we out recruited just about everyone in our division, on average, almost yearly? How many years have we been picked, by the experts, to win our division? It's not like we have no expectations as fans based upon what we've been shown. Unfortunately, we consistently under perform. Whether it's coaching, entitled players, who knows - only one thing is certain, this team rarely meets, let alone exceeds, expectations.

Bad coaching leads to poor recruiting classes which leads to poor records which leads to everyone blaming everyone. It's a 15 year cycle in Coral Gables.

Personally, I'm not expecting to compete with the Alabama's and Clemson's anymore. But is it asking too much to win a division you are supposed to more than once every 15 years?

go CANES!

Again, how is this an "indictment" on the current staff. Welcome to the state of the program for 15 years now and the sh1tshow the Canes will deal with as today's best players are front-runners who want to join immediate contenders, instead of wanting to be a part of some hometown rebuild. The game has changed and long gone are the Edgerrin James-type talents who are willing to sign-up for a few rough seasons, with the end goal of some 9-3 type seasons setting the stage for the program to come back AFTER that first wave of those 'rebuild' guys are gone.

You need great players to win—but you're not going to get those great players unless you're winning. That's an indictment on the type of kids playing today, opposed to a knock on the program or staff.

Diaz (or any coach at Miami) will have to find a way to start winning with that he / they have, while using the Transfer Portal to their advantage and getting the most out of the kids on the staff. The top-tier 5-star kids are going to keep going to Tuscaloosa, Athens, Baton Rouge and Clemson until Miami is a legit ACC threat. Period.

Ah... but you forgot about Columbus, Ohio. Nevertheless, I see your point and all that.

For all of you that think we need the players to win, would you say we are coaching our current players to play above or below their skill level? If the answer is below, then getting better players won't make us elite.

If you say above, you are on a meth binge and your brain is probably a bologna sandwich at this point.

Advertisement

I agree but the problem is the novice coaches he has on his whole staff are not the type of coaches you can count on to out coach more experienced qualified staffs. So Diaz has to make a decision or he will fail here. He can cut the dead weight or go the Golden rout which will be his demise. Will see how really savage he is or if he’s all talk just like when he sold us a bill of goods on the offense this past off-season. I have no confidence in Diaz to do any of those things. And maybe your right, I should have put the title on “a total Indictment on the UM athletetic dept/administration”

Last edited:
I find myself in the sad state of watching CanesFreak2001 YouTube Videos for the last few years to get my good Canes fix and wondering if we will ever get back. How could this have happened?

Ironic that Miami and USC are in the same boat as they are very similar institutions in a big event town.

Advertisement

I really don't think that was the gist of his opening statement. Yea we need to recruit at a high level, that's a given, but the crux of the article is what are we doing with the talent that we have? We need to coach those guys up. Once we do this and start winning ball games, then some of those players we keep missing out on might really give us a look.

I find myself in the sad state of watching CanesFreak2001 YouTube Videos for the last few years to get my good Canes fix and wondering if we will ever get back. How could this have happened?

Ironic that Miami and USC are in the same boat as they are very similar institutions in a big event town.

Both making the same mistakes.

The one time in the past 30 years USC went outside the 'We are SC' box they hired Pete Carroll. Worked well as I recall. Ever since they've tried to recapture that magic by hiring substitutes like Kiffin and Sarkisian but failed.

The same applies to The U hiring 'a Miami guy'.

Helton is all but gone IMO. I'll be closely watching how SC handles their rebuild from the top down. I suspect it will be a a complete 180 from what we've seen play out in Coral Gables the past 15 years.

Having garbage on the offensive line is what's plaguing us.

Why do people want to make it more complicated than that? Our starting left tackle is a parking cone. You're not gonna move the ball or do very much in that case.

So yeah... the issue IS recruiting. Recruiting and rooster management. The University of Miami should not be starting this kind of trash on our offensive line, EVER. That's the issue.

Advertisement
Back