June enrollee update: Evidence Njoku

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
CanesInSight will be checking in with a number of 2017 class signees prior to their arrivals in the coming months. I caught up with wide receiver signee Evidence Njoku last night.

***​

IMG_3947.jpg

Evidence Njoku has known for a while that his physical capabilities might be able to take him a long way in life. But watching his older brother, David, get drafted in the first round by the Cleveland Browns last week has elevated the younger Njoku’s desire to make the absolute most of his talent.

“It’s making me that much more excited to get to the next level and start competing,” Njoku said.

“I feel like going through the whole process with him, seeing how everything unfolded with college and the combine really opened my eyes and made me realize this is possible – it’s not just a dream. If you have the right size and attributes and truly work at it, there’s no limit to what you can achieve.”

Evidence says he began his current training regimen back in January and was weighing 202-pounds at 4.2% body fat at the start of the program. After a couple months in the gym, Njoku says his trainer recently measured him at 6-5, 212-pounds with a composition of 4.4% body fat, so he has added about 10 pounds of muscle in that short span.

Njoku also tested out his vertical jump a few weeks ago after a long workout and hit 35.5 inches. His wingspan measured at 85 inches.

[TWEET]851829006617812994[/TWEET]

Although he says he’s always been a hard worker, fuel has certainly been added to the fire for Njoku. It’s something that he discusses with his future teammates as well.

“I’m definitely taking every workout personal. I feel like I’m taking every rep, every route I run, everything with a higher meaning. I have a goal that I feel can be reaches, as well as my other teammates. I talk to Ahmmon Richards, Mike Harley, Jeff Thomas all the time and we have goals for ourselves. Dreams can become reality very quickly if you work hard.”

Njoku is slated to enroll at Miami for the second summer session on June 22nd.

[TWEET]859593229444014080[/TWEET]

Advertisement
4% body fat...

get the *** out of here

love your updates pete, but I hope you don't honestly believe that

4% body fat...

get the *** out of here

That is insane. There's no reason for him to have lied about it unless there was a misunderstanding between him and his trainer.

Also, check the wording... "Njoku says..."

I love the maturity and optimism of these guys as well as the dedication. It's inspiring me as well with what I'm pursuing currently as an adult. Sometimes we as adults lose that carefree, think anything is possible attitude and get caught in that box of work, home, relax and try to forget about work and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
4% body fat...

get the *** out of here

That is insane. There's no reason for him to have lied about it unless there was a misunderstanding between him and his trainer.

In bodybuilding competitions the competitors cut carbs for weeks and weeks in order to cut their fat down to almost nothing for the stage and most of them in that stage are somewhere between 6 to 8 percent body fat in doing so. Most importantly they're VERY weak at this stage from doing so.

Greg plitt used to talk about how weak he always was when he did photo shoots for magazine covers like mens fitness and how even though he was looking his best, he was feeling his worst and he wasn't even close to 4%

yet this kid just does this day in and day out?

edit: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126149493 It's actually closer to 5-7% on average it appears

Last edited:
4% body fat...

get the *** out of here

In bodybuilding competitions the competitors cut carbs for weeks and weeks in order to cut their fat down to almost nothing for the stage and most of them in that stage are somewhere between 6 to 8 percent body fat in doing so. Most importantly they're VERY weak at this stage from doing so.

Greg plitt used to talk about how weak he always was when he did photo shoots for magazine covers like mens fitness and how even though he was looking his best, he was feeling his worst and he wasn't even close to 4%

yet this kid just does this day in and day out?

I understand the science behind it and I'm not saying it's 100%. Check the wording.

7' wingspan is more important to me than height. That means his effective reach is enormous and he can not only body guys off the ball, but will snatch it in the air before it even gets close.

Advertisement
7' wingspan is more important to me than height. That means his effective reach is enormous and he can not only body guys off the ball, but will snatch it in the air before it even gets close.

Even better when the 7' wingspan is paired with great height (6'5) and vert. That results in a fantastic standing reach that will translate to him simply getting to higher balls than anyone else around him

Advertisement
This kid is also going from boney to adding muscle and fat. When his brother was drafted the scouts said that he had a body fat percentage of 6-7. And that's insane for someone weighing 245-250 pounds and not professionally and competitively eating and working out.
Let him be what he wants as long as he comes to the U and balls!
If he just takes it more serious than his brother did the first year then he'll definitely be something!

Might take him a year or two to develop and crack the rotation, but he could be a special talent down the road.

Peter, do you think he plays or redshirts this season?

Advertisement
85 inch wingspan and 35 inch vert? Get him, Cager and Richards in a package ASAP. Even Rosier can't overthrow those kids.

This kid is gonna be a good one. More i hear about him the more excited i get about watching him on the field and see what he can accomplish

The kid is a stringbean still for his height, kids composition's are different than adults for one, so it could be possible.

On another note the vert at 17-18 yrs old at that size is nuts.

Just think about the all time freaks though and not Cane related but Calvin Johnson was 6'5 and about 230 running 4.35 at the combine with 42.5 vert. That cat was on another level.

Hopefully Evidence can realize his potential and be the big body compliment to the well rounded Richards, speedster Harley, and electric Thomas!

Advertisement
Back