July 29, 2023 BBQ

Advertisement
BBQ thread is still about BBQ.
judge.gif

Indeed there is and it has a fascinating history. It was THE fine dining place for the black community in New Orleans going back decades. Leah Chase lived and cooked there every day into her 90s. Their lent season gumbo z’herbes is the stuff of legends.
That spot is legit! The fried chicken is no joke

Advertisement
Advertisement
Agreed on StL/KC/TX sauces. I can handle NC vinegar and AL white sauce (though it can be hit or miss), and NOT a fan of SC mustard sauce.

Sweet/tangy is my go to.

I also prefer the sauce on the side, as opposed to all over the meat during cooking. Sometimes I go to Franklin BBQ and get about halfway through the meal before I realize I haven't used any sauce.

I can make an exception for saucing during the cook...for pork ribs...that's a cut that can benefit from a glaze. There's a spot in St. Louis that my family loves, I've told @RVACane about it, it's called Bogart's (by the Soulard Market). I realize that Bogart's is a part of the Pappy's family of restaurants, but they have some little differences at the various locations, and that particular Bogart's does an apricot glaze on the ribs that just sets them apart.
This man knows how to order. Im a big fan of getting my bbq with the sauce on the side. Some places can put a little too much. I like to control the meat to sauce ratio. I also like to have a few bites without the sauce and really just enjoy the flavors of the meat on its own

@Confidence1000 about to have a stroke

At great risk of starting holy war to retake Jerusalem...

Where you cats at on sauces??

NC vinegars vs SC mustards vs everybody else sweet and tangy...

I had a white sauce in Alabama that was pretty good...

For me, I'm a St Louis/KC/Texas sauce man myself, although I'll eat vinegar based if I have to...

View attachment 247055
I love a dry rub 1st and foremost. But Im with you on STL/KC/TX sauce. I’ve actually come sround to NC vinegar based sauce. I was against it for years and then tried it again recently. To my surprise I enjoyed. Hard pass on the AL sauce.

This man knows how to order. Im a big fan of getting my bbq with the sauce on the side. Some places can put a little too much. I like to control the meat to sauce ratio. I also like to have a few bites without the sauce and really just enjoy the flavors of the meat on its own

Sauce on the side is a must

Advertisement
Its early but the names are slowly starting to come out about those attending the July 24 BBQ. Doubt local names will come out early or that will give Billy and the G5s time to bribe them not to attend.

Flo said Mario was taking steps this year to prevent UF from impacting attendance like they did last year.

RecruitYearPositionStarsUVs
Kamarion (Big Kam) Franklin24DE/DT5*5
Ryan "Hollywood" Williams25WR5*1
Mantrez Walker25LB4*1
Tayvion Galloway24TE4*2
Ryan Ghea25TE4*2
So only 5 people going? Lol
OP you gonna update or y’all gonna keep talkin bout BBQ joints?

Agreed on StL/KC/TX sauces. I can handle NC vinegar and AL white sauce (though it can be hit or miss), and NOT a fan of SC mustard sauce.

Sweet/tangy is my go to.

I also prefer the sauce on the side, as opposed to all over the meat during cooking. Sometimes I go to Franklin BBQ and get about halfway through the meal before I realize I haven't used any sauce.

I can make an exception for saucing during the cook...for pork ribs...that's a cut that can benefit from a glaze. There's a spot in St. Louis that my family loves, I've told @RVACane about it, it's called Bogart's (by the Soulard Market). I realize that Bogart's is a part of the Pappy's family of restaurants, but they have some little differences at the various locations, and that particular Bogart's does an apricot glaze on the ribs that just sets them apart.
I agree. People say if you use sauce then the bbq is no good. Its total bs. A nice wipe of sauce on ribs while they are cooking takes it to another level when it sets up a nice glaze.

Advertisement
Used to love Allen and Son BBQ in Chapel Hill, but sadly I think it closed in 2018.

In South Carolina, Smokin’ Pig was delicious. Only open Thursday through Saturday I think, went there for the first time back in 2010 when we beat Clemson 30-21. Went back a few times over the next couple of years, but now it’s been a good 7-8 years since I last dined there. No idea how it’s doing currently. Last time I went, they had to open an outside patio to accommodate more customers. It used to be tiny and full of Clemson faithful.
So I live in the upstate, and I go to Smokin Pig when I do BBQ. They've actually expanded to 2 more locations

@WaterburyCane ! What kind of talk is dis? Man listen!
Scott Hall Wrestling GIF by WWE

Hey yo! Hit the button

Advertisement
Back