July 29, 2023 BBQ

Man, I got boondoggled into a TDY that returns very close to the Temple game. I planned on bringing a brisket or some pork belly burnt ends but I'm not gonna have the time.

I may be able to grab some crabcakes from Pappas or Box Hill and broil them before I jump on 95 and head to Philly though.

View attachment 247047
As a Marylander/crab cake connoisseur, I approve of Pappas. Also G&M, right off 95 by BWI airport is solid too.

Advertisement
When it comes to a BBQ sammich, it’s all about the sauce for me. There’s a little joint here in NETN called Ridgewood BBQ. Been there for over 50 years now run by the son of the founder. They use brisket for beef and pork butt for pork. The meat melts in your mouth (pause), but it’s their sauce that makes the difference.

OK, I just texted with my brother, apparently there is going to be an EggFest in November at a place in Seminole County called "Wekiva Island". If you get a chance, you should come up for that.

I love love love Wekiva Island, I've been going there since I was young, and my brother's house is a mile or two down the river, so we may take his boat up to the Island for that one.

Hopefully, by that time, the "new" Pig Floyd's Urban Barbakoa will be open on Lee Road in the spot where the original Bubbalou's was. My guy @SWFLHurricane knows about Bubbalou's (definitely dropped off after the old man died), and he may know Pig Floyd's as well, the original brick-and-mortar location is still there on Mills just north of 50.

Speaking of which, @SWFLHurricane have you been to Piggza on Mills yet (opened a few months ago, I took my mom and sister on Mother's Day)? It was supposed to be a joint between Pig Floyd's and Stasio's, but I think Stasio's backed out. It was great, I'm going to have to go back next time I'm back in O-Town.
Stasios backed out.from what I was told. A buddy went to Pigzza 3 weeks ago and said it was horrendous. Left a scathing review.

Stasios backed out.from what I was told. A buddy went to Pigzza 3 weeks ago and said it was horrendous. Left a scathing review.

Wow, very surprising. Not sure if they are having some grand-opening pains. We had great food when we went, the artichoke & pepperoni dip (though they needed more bread points) and the Meat Me at Floyd's and the Casper pizzas.

Advertisement
You can add P-tizzle to the list. I’ll be there.
Best Friends Hello GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

Wow, very surprising. Not sure if they are having some grand-opening pains. We had great food when we went, the artichoke & pepperoni dip (though they needed more bread points) and the Meat Me at Floyd's and the Casper pizzas.
He said (and showed in review) Pizza was burnt, appetizers came while main course was being consumed, wait staff and hostess were lost.

At great risk of starting holy war to retake Jerusalem...

Where you cats at on sauces??

NC vinegars vs SC mustards vs everybody else sweet and tangy...

I had a white sauce in Alabama that was pretty good...

For me, I'm a St Louis/KC/Texas sauce man myself, although I'll eat vinegar based if I have to...

1675050488610.gif

Advertisement
As a Marylander/crab cake connoisseur, I approve of Pappas. Also G&M, right off 95 by BWI airport is solid too.
They just opened a Pappas in Bel Air, wife thinks they have a little heat to them compared to the Parkville location. She may be on to something but they were still top notch, I like them better than Box Hill. By The Docks in Middle River is also a low-key favorite. Very little filler and almost the size of a softball.

Screenshot from 2023-07-18 10-50-00.png

For me, I'm a St Louis/KC/Texas sauce man myself, although I'll eat vinegar based if I have to...

Agreed on StL/KC/TX sauces. I can handle NC vinegar and AL white sauce (though it can be hit or miss), and NOT a fan of SC mustard sauce.

Sweet/tangy is my go to.

I also prefer the sauce on the side, as opposed to all over the meat during cooking. Sometimes I go to Franklin BBQ and get about halfway through the meal before I realize I haven't used any sauce.

I can make an exception for saucing during the cook...for pork ribs...that's a cut that can benefit from a glaze. There's a spot in St. Louis that my family loves, I've told @RVACane about it, it's called Bogart's (by the Soulard Market). I realize that Bogart's is a part of the Pappy's family of restaurants, but they have some little differences at the various locations, and that particular Bogart's does an apricot glaze on the ribs that just sets them apart.

They just opened a Pappas in Bel Air, wife thinks they have a little heat to them compared to the Parkville location. She may be on to something but they were still top notch, I like them better than Box Hill. By The Docks in Middle River is also a low-key favorite. Very little filler and almost the size of a softball.

View attachment 247061
Love the Spring Carrots, perfect presentation

Advertisement

View attachment 247055
Every good pork sauce I've seen is vinegary. The only time I use mustard sauce is on pork tenderloin that was rubbed with curry powder. I got the recipe from Publix years ago and it's a fantastic combination.

View attachment 247061
I forgot about the new location in Bel Air, it’s right by my father’s business. There’s another one in Timonium/Lutherville which is where I grew up.

Advertisement
Jawhy Harris is a gud musturd sawce fer sher. Wiley’s sawce is a gud KC sawce but thangs ain’t the same cents Wiley passed.
U rite bout dat sun. Granny Hawkins whoops up a rite good sawce. She puts maters, rootabaga, postum drippins, scuppernongs an a secret gredient frum da swamp.

Yeah I'm well aware of the issues. I live right by there and a close friend of ours was actually helping them try to fight that fight legally. I was there every Friday night. Was one of my favorite spots and every time we drive by it I get a little ticked off. As a former CCHS guy I was rooting for them even a little harder.

You want world class Bar B Q? Next time you are anywhere near Dallas head over to Pecan Lodge. For my money...that's the best Bar B Q I've ever had. The line is around the block almost every day but it's well worth it.
Been there, very ******* good.

I disagree Kansas City and st Louis has the best bbq Memphis bbq is meh actually Memphis food is pretty meh.
I’ve had Carolina and KC BBQ. Memphis is the only one I haven’t tried yet. Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong from the Carolinas’s down and across the Bible Belt Way to Texas. Just depends on where U it get from in any particular state.

Advertisement
Back