July 29, 2023 BBQ

Advertisement
Used to love Allen and Son BBQ in Chapel Hill, but sadly I think it closed in 2018.

In South Carolina, Smokin’ Pig was delicious. Only open Thursday through Saturday I think, went there for the first time back in 2010 when we beat Clemson 30-21. Went back a few times over the next couple of years, but now it’s been a good 7-8 years since I last dined there. No idea how it’s doing currently. Last time I went, they had to open an outside patio to accommodate more customers. It used to be tiny and full of Clemson faithful.
It’s thriving with three locations now. Still only open Thursday through Saturday.

Used to love Allen and Son BBQ in Chapel Hill, but sadly I think it closed in 2018.

In South Carolina, Smokin’ Pig was delicious. Only open Thursday through Saturday I think, went there for the first time back in 2010 when we beat Clemson 30-21. Went back a few times over the next couple of years, but now it’s been a good 7-8 years since I last dined there. No idea how it’s doing currently. Last time I went, they had to open an outside patio to accommodate more customers. It used to be tiny and full of Clemson faithful.

Smokin' Pig is fantastic. I usually go to the one in Easley, I think they bought an existing restaurant building and it's huge. I went to the Pendleton location after the Clemson game last year, and yes, they've built a large outside area. Place was packed with happy Clemson fans (plus me), but they now have this weird thing for busy times where you have to make a reservation of sorts, so I just got the BBQ to go. Still fantastic though.

I just sent Admiral Lex to the Anderson location when he was up in Greenville recently, and he and his family loved it.

I think BBQ in Miami is mid personally, but best I’ve had is way out there…SW 152nd, Smoke and Dough. Blows Shorty’s out of the water, not even comparable. Worth the drive.

View attachment 246986

Just some of the items we got last time. It has a bit of a Cuban element for some items but mostly traditional BBQ.
I DONT SEE RIB. SO THAT AINT BBQ😂😂

Advertisement
I think BBQ in Miami is mid personally, but best I’ve had is way out there…SW 152nd, Smoke and Dough. Blows Shorty’s out of the water, not even comparable. Worth the drive.

View attachment 246986

Just some of the items we got last time. It has a bit of a Cuban element for some items but mostly traditional BBQ.
That’s a double flusher

How is Mission BBQ? It's not that far from me; but 25 miles is almost 25 miles.

Pretty decent, for a big chain. However, since I moved to ATL, I realized that there are zero-point-zero locations in Georgia, the closest ones are in Chattanooga TN, Myrtle Beach SC, and Talla-*******-hassee.

I was in KC in October and BBQ there isn’t a myth.

Attachments

• A171BB5B-03AC-4F61-93E0-C02AC35ED2AB.jpeg
    A171BB5B-03AC-4F61-93E0-C02AC35ED2AB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 8B165432-AC7D-4170-846F-527A862C7DFB.jpeg
    8B165432-AC7D-4170-846F-527A862C7DFB.jpeg
    939 KB · Views: 3
One in Jax Beach also. Good stuff
Gilbert’s social was the best in Jax before closing down off south side Blvd.

He was supposed to open up a new spot in Springfield, but I guess it never happened.

*edit it’s called silkies apparently now in Jax. Haven’t been to that location yet.

Advertisement
It’s not like real bbq. It’s just that as a kid I grew up going there for the beef sandwiches and corn. My father was going there as a student at UM in the 50’s. It’s just one of those places I guess.

Haven’t eaten there in years though.
Short’s is good stuff , it always ranks very high in BBQ joints in Florida.
I watch every so often Pit Master BBQ competitions all the great BBQ Kings competitions restaurants in many states compete.

For the every day Joe Short’s fills the cravings quite well .

One thing I’ve noticed obviously is it’s super expensive but as you feed you forget and just enjoy.
I’m sure the U BBQ is having a private caterer handling the honors.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Hopefully Kam Franklin and a few others will be on commit watch during and after the BBQ.

I'm torn.

On one hand, I love your screen name and reference to one of the great movie lines from Stripes.

On the other hand, you are likely a recently-banned poster, so this screen name will probably be dead soon.

Memphis Barbecue is Tops with Kansas City.
Memphis Dry-Rub at Rendezvous is maddening. But Kansas City might be my #1
Personally I think it depends on what you’re getting. I’ve had Memphis, KC, St. Louis, Carolina, and Texas. I think the best BBQ I’ve had is in Texas. I’m also a brisket guy and Texas brisket is amazing.

Advertisement
I don't think you've checked the prices lately.

In the last year-plus, I've been to Franklin, Valentina's, Fox Bros, Rodney Scott's, Smokin Pig, Bearded Pig, Dreamland...

Good 'cue ain't cheap these days.
I hear you for the places you listed just now. All elite BBQ. Chain BBQ like Mission to me is def overpriced. Jealous you’ve eaten at those spots in just a year or so haha

I don't think you've checked the prices lately.

In the last year-plus, I've been to Franklin, Valentina's, Fox Bros, Rodney Scott's, Smokin Pig, Bearded Pig, Dreamland...

Good 'cue ain't cheap these days.

That's one **** of a list...

Gotta go to Snow's..

Advertisement
Back