July 29, 2023 BBQ

Look....NYer (originally) or not...NYC Pizza is #1. I've had Pizza in many different states. Sally's & Pepe's in New Haven is Good...But for me, alittle to burnt for my liking. I can name a dozen places in NYC that's drags Sally's & Pepe's through the mud. ****, I'd even put some spots in New Jersey over them. @Canes Legacy
I grew up outside of New Haven and you described Sally"s & Pepe's perfectly, the do make it burnt and super crispy. I def think NY is the best, not even close. They call what they make here in Texas pizza, its not edible for rats.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Look....NYer (originally) or not...NYC Pizza is #1. I've had Pizza in many different states. Sally's & Pepe's in New Haven is Good...But for me, alittle too burnt for my liking. I can name a dozen places in NYC that's drags Sally's & Pepe's through the mud. ****, I'd even put some spots in New Jersey over them. @Canes Legacy
I was hardcore NY Pizza defender all my life. Lucali and Lazarras were some of the best pies I ever had in my life. I moved to CT two years ago and just within the last few months got down to New Haven to try Sally’s and Pepe’s. I prefer that style pizza and it wasn’t close for me after that. All comes down to the style you prefer I guess. I personally can’t even look at Chicago Deep Dish. A **** abomination.

Last edited:
I was hardcore NY Pizza defender all my life. Lucali and Lazarras were some of the best pies I ever had in my life. I moved to CT two years ago and just within the last few months got down to *** Haven to try Sally’s and Pepe’s. I prefer that style pizza and it wasn’t close for me after that. All comes down to the style you prefer I guess. I personally can’t even look at Chicago Deep Dish. A **** abomination.
What style are Sally's and Pepe's - Neapolitan? If so I completely agree with you. I say that having never tried either NY or CT pizza in person. But I've had local pizza that NY transplants swear by, and local Neapolitan pizza (from some trained in pizza school lol) that is orders of magnitude better. Of course this is just my taste and preference. I'd love to try some real NY pizza one day.

Advertisement
46 minutes of that douche? Why do you hate us calinative?
I like Portnoy personally. The pizza reviews are good regardless. Dude has literally been eating pizza like every day for years. He's likely had 10x more different pizza places than like everyone here combined.

I was hardcore NY Pizza defender all my life. Lucali and Lazarras were some of the best pies I ever had in my life. I moved to CT two years ago and just within the last few months got down to *** Haven to try Sally’s and Pepe’s. I prefer that style pizza and it wasn’t close for me after that. All comes down to the style you prefer I guess. I personally can’t even look at Chicago Deep Dish. A **** abomination.
My dad (grew up in the Bronx) would go on about how only NY pizza is good and I would make the argument that to me Pizza is like chicken... sometimes I want BBQ Chicken, sometimes I want it fried bone in, sometimes I want it chicken parm over pasta, sometimes I want a chicken parm sandwich, sometimes I want a Nashville fried chicken sandwich, sometimes I want double fried Korean wings - ****, sometimes I want it tandoori. My point is that I think it is silly to argue types of pizza vs each other as it is like arguing that Korean chicken wings are better than Chicken parm (they are both delicious if the place making them is good).

Now if you want to argue X place makes NY style better than Y place I am all for it.

Oh... and the last time my dad and I had pizza together we got Detroit style and he loved it.

Advertisement
What style are Sally's and Pepe's - Neapolitan? If so I completely agree with you. I say that having never tried either NY or CT pizza in person. But I've had local pizza that NY transplants swear by, and local Neapolitan pizza (from some trained in pizza school lol) that is orders of magnitude better. Of course this is just my taste and preference. I'd love to try some real NY pizza one day.
Sally’s and Pepe’s are both a CT style Apizza (at least that’s what they told me). Very crispy, thinner style pies. NY pizza is a bit more doughy (which I also love).

Advertisement
Back