July 29, 2023 BBQ

Advertisement
See, that’s very Eastern Carolina-centric of you. You guys put nothing but peppered vinegar on pulled pork. There’s a whole other world of beef, ketchup and molasses out there. Lol

Brown sugar, honey, apple, cherry, peppers, you name it, there's a lot of stuff that can push the BBQ sauce into amazing directions.

That's where these NC snobs lose me, by insisting that there's only one meat and there's only one pepper/vinegar sauce.

Sooooo much good stuff out there.

If it's done right, it can be good. But in my experience, it's the BBQ sauce for which I've encountered the widest variance between good and crap.
It's not difficult to make it bland. Same with Cornell chicken.

See, that’s very Eastern Carolina-centric of you. You guys put nothing but peppered vinegar on pulled pork. There’s a whole other world of beef, ketchup and molasses out there. Lol
Pulled pork ESPECIALLY only needs salt and pepper during the smoking process. It then becomes a blank pallet for bbq sandwiches, tacos, carnitas, loaded nachos, fried rice, egg-rolls, stews and on and on! At the very least serve your ketchup mask on the side!

Brown sugar, honey, apple, cherry, peppers, you name it, there's a lot of stuff that can push the BBQ sauce into amazing directions.

That's where these NC snobs lose me, by insisting that there's only one meat and there's only one pepper/vinegar sauce.

Sooooo much good stuff out there.
Light serving of ketchup-based sauce is OK on ribs - but most the time is just masks flavor IMO. And 'NC snobs' use it on pulled pork all the time... like anywhere else - bbq is regional in NC. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
shimmy shimmy ya ol dirty bastard GIF

Last edited:
I co-sign every word. Been reading and wondering how long it would take to see Tom Jenkins listed.

Sneaky solid (though the sauce isn't quite right for my taste) is the brisket sandwich at the Smokehouse at Unbranded Brewery in Hialeah.
I've been trying to get out to Unbranded for a while. I've heard good things about their beers and food. Plus they host wrestling shows once in a while. It's just that going to Hialeah is such a hassle.

Advertisement
Light serving of ketchup-based sauce is OK on ribs - but most the time is just masks flavor IMO. And 'NC snobs' use it on pulled pork all the time... like anywhere else - bbq is regional in NC. :rolleyes:

You might be more open-minded than others, but I've had decades of interacting with Carolina BBQ snobs, so let's not pretend that it doesn't exist.

And I've already made it clear about sauce-on-side.

Pulled pork ESPECIALLY only needs salt and pepper during the smoking process. It then becomes a blank pallet for bbq sandwiches, tacos, carnitas, loaded nachos, fried rice, egg-rolls, stews and on and on! At the very least serve your ketchup mask on the side!
Yeah I honestly don’t even use sauce on pulled pork post smoke. Not hating on people that do, there’s some amazing sauces out there, but properly smoked pulled pork doesn’t need it

That’s mayo based. I think I’d hurl.
Only thing mayo should be used for is potato salad at best. My younger sister used to put mayo on her pizza. After that ****, I would always tell her she was adopted.

Got some Spanish friends that eat that mayo-ketchup bull****. Soon I see that **** on the table, I throw that **** in the trash. They be looking at me like, "Come on man, chill" lol.

One my of boys doesn't eat it, he just gets it to mess with me. He knows soon I see it, I am going lose my ****. Lol

Last edited:
Yeah I honestly don’t even use sauce on pulled pork post smoke. Not hating on people that do, there’s some amazing sauces out there, but properly smoked pulled pork doesn’t need it

You can also do some things with injections and sprays that can impact the flavor without overpowering the process with a sauce. My brother likes to play around with an injection of Cajun flavors on certain kinds of meat ON OCCASION just to shake things up a bit.

Advertisement
Can we just change the name of this thread to "Southern BBQ recipes"?
There has been a dearth of actual recipes and little discussion other than commercial bbq joints and traditional foods.

I'm leaving a poor Yelp review for this thread because the parking was awful. Now, off to Japopo's for the clam special.

Advertisement
You can also do some things with injections and sprays that can impact the flavor without overpowering the process with a sauce. My brother likes to play around with an injection of Cajun flavors on certain kinds of meat ON OCCASION just to shake things up a bit.
Yup I support that and I’ve done it as well. It’s really hard to **** up a pork shoulder so I think people get bored and creative. Same time it is just so **** good by itself

Advertisement
Back