Julian Armella

Uh, winning the Coastal (aka the worst division in the P5 and, by some metrics, worse than a division in the AAC) is the absolute floor. No 5-star kids are getting excited about a 9-3 Miami team winning the worst division imaginable and getting pasted by Clemson in Charlotte.

Win 11, that generates excitement. For us as fans, yes, Charlotte would be nice. But again, that's the minimal expectation. When you're competing with UGA and Clemson and Bama, 9-3 in the 50 gallon drum of diarrhea that is the ACC Coastal doesn't move the needle in the least bit.

Since joining the ACC corstal in 2004, we have not won 11 games once. We have all of one (1) 10-win season. So if we need 11 wins to generate buzz, then the odds are seriously against us generating buzz.

But I understand what you are saying. Winning 9 games in the corstal, standing alone, isn't exciting kids in the top 100. But, winning 9 games, putting an exciting offense on the field that scores points, showing off young players getting PT on both sides of the ball, maybe losing a few close (but exciting) games, competing in the ACCCG against Clem$on (keep it within 2 scores), maybe winning a bowl game (a novel idea, I know), and then following that up with having one or two kids drafted on night 1 and 2 of the draft... maybe that moves the needle for some of these top recruits (at least not the ones primarily focused on the bag)?

It's a lot more than just wins and losses. It's how we win/lose, how we showcase the talent on the team, and whether we can convince recruits (with our play, not just our words) that the program is finally moving in the right direction.

Advertisement
Uh, winning the Coastal (aka the worst division in the P5 and, by some metrics, worse than a division in the AAC) is the absolute floor. No 5-star kids are getting excited about a 9-3 Miami team winning the worst division imaginable and getting pasted by Clemson in Charlotte.

Win 11, that generates excitement. For us as fans, yes, Charlotte would be nice. But again, that's the minimal expectation. When you're competing with UGA and Clemson and Bama, 9-3 in the 50 gallon drum of diarrhea that is the ACC Coastal doesn't move the needle in the least bit.
Come back to planet earth. 0 chance we win 11 games this year. It’s about taking steps in the right direction not a huge leap. But that’s just me. I’m pretty sure you’re in the minority expecting 11 games

Since joining the ACC corstal in 2004, we have not won 11 games once. We have all of one (1) 10-win season. So if we need 11 wins to generate buzz, then the odds are seriously against us generating buzz.

But I understand what you are saying. Winning 9 games in the corstal, standing alone, isn't exciting kids in the top 100. But, winning 9 games, putting an exciting offense on the field that scores points, showing off young players getting PT on both sides of the ball, maybe losing a few close (but exciting) games, competing in the ACCCG against Clem$on (keep it within 2 scores), maybe winning a bowl game (a novel idea, I know), and then following that up with having one or two kids drafted on night 1 and 2 of the draft... maybe that moves the needle for some of these top recruits (at least not the ones primarily focused on the bag)?

It's a lot more than just wins and losses. It's how we win/lose, how we showcase the talent on the team, and whether we can convince recruits (with our play, not just our words) that the program is finally moving in the right direction.

stop making so much sense!

U know they’re going to pound the ball with that elite o line. They don’t need elite WRs with that line to win another state title
I don't disagree, but they are a lot easier to defend without a guy like Henderson at WR.

You have to stack the box against them because they utilize a lot of double TE sets and run the **** out of the ball. This leaves Henderson 1-on-1. That's how they hit us for a 94 yard touchdown in the semifinals. Right when we had the momentum too. We forced like six straight 3-and-outs. They couldn't run the ball.
Then bombs over Baghdad!
Henderson over the top for 94 yards.

I told that MF'ing Corner to bail too. SMH

I'm telling you, Henderson was their X-Factor when they failed to get Parrish rolling. You simply don't see a lot of kids with that size/speed ratio. I watched him be their hero in the state championship game.

Columbus is a good landing spot if Miami wants him. As a former Columbus grad myself, it's a very "local" student base. A lot of kids stay home for college (Miami-Dade CC, FIU, UM, etc.). He won't be as swayed to go out-of-state as he would in other spots IMO.

Advertisement
Come back to planet earth. 0 chance we win 11 games this year. It’s about taking steps in the right direction not a huge leap. But that’s just me. I’m pretty sure you’re in the minority expecting 11 games

I didn't say I expected to win 11 games. But then again, I don't expect Julian Armella to come here either.

What I said was, the kid--out of his own mouth--said he's focusing on winning programs. Winning 9 games and winning the worst division on the planet doesn't make a winning program. Is it a "step forward", as much as I hate that nonsense....yes. Does it raise the eyebrows of a kid like this? Of course not.

I'm pretty sure Miami will be favored in 11 games. Now, again, that hasn't meant a thing in the last 15 years. But go do what you're supposed to do, and anything can happen. Had we played 12 in 2017, we'd have won 11. It's possible, if not probable. But the bottom line is, if you want to entice kids like this to come to your program, 9 wins and the Coastal isn't gonna get it done. If you want to talk about whether that shows progress, or you're happy with that, or if it's a step in the right direction, blah blah blah....that's for another thread. This one is for a 5-star kid who has no favorites and is saying that his pitch will revolve around winning football. 9 games with this schedule of high school teams ain't exactly it.

Sorry if this is off topic, but i’m getting tired of this UNC talk! I wanna best the heck out of them!!!!!!!!!’

I hope for this kids sake he can be ok with his father! As someone who has had the experience of watching a mother manipulate a child, it’s the most heart breaking thing to see. I hope it all works out for the young man! Appears as the father trying to control the recruitment! Wouldn’t shock me if pops was hearing about all the perks that will come with delivering his boy to a certain school.

I didn't say I expected to win 11 games. But then again, I don't expect Julian Armella to come here either.

What I said was, the kid--out of his own mouth--said he's focusing on winning programs. Winning 9 games and winning the worst division on the planet doesn't make a winning program. Is it a "step forward", as much as I hate that nonsense....yes. Does it raise the eyebrows of a kid like this? Of course not.

I'm pretty sure Miami will be favored in 11 games. Now, again, that hasn't meant a thing in the last 15 years. But go do what you're supposed to do, and anything can happen. Had we played 12 in 2017, we'd have won 11. It's possible, if not probable. But the bottom line is, if you want to entice kids like this to come to your program, 9 wins and the Coastal isn't gonna get it done. If you want to talk about whether that shows progress, or you're happy with that, or if it's a step in the right direction, blah blah blah....that's for another thread. This one is for a 5-star kid who has no favorites and is saying that his pitch will revolve around winning football. 9 games with this schedule of high school teams ain't exactly it.
Ok

I need to spell it out? To the Acc championship. And no we’re not losing to UNC at home
Then who are we losing to? At all? This team is easily the 2nd most talented team in the ACC. Easily. If Manny wins 9-10 games with this very roster and QB then buy him out. He’s definitely not the guy.

Advertisement
Sorry if this is off topic, but i’m getting tired of this UNC talk! I wanna best the heck out of them!!!!!!!!!’

I hope for this kids sake he can be ok with his father! As someone who has had the experience of watching a mother manipulate a child, it’s the most heart breaking thing to see. I hope it all works out for the young man! Appears as the father trying to control the recruitment! Wouldn’t shock me if pops was hearing about all the perks that will come with delivering his boy to a certain school.

The schedule sets up very nicely for UNC. We are off a bye (yes, I know last season that was NOT a good thing, but with everyone on the planet crushing Manny for it, you've got to think we will be somewhat better), we are at home, we'll have 2 weeks to play up the revenge tour aspect, and that game is #8 in a row for them. They've got a bye the week following. You've got to think they're going to be running on fumes with this abbreviated training session due to COVID and then playing 8 consecutive Saturdays.

I think we beat UNC this year. We had a much higher win expectancy last year, on the road, at night, and nobody had any film on Howell at all. We'll be much more prepared this time around.

Then who are we losing to? At all? This team is easily the 2nd most talented team in the ACC. Easily. If Manny wins 9-10 games with this very roster and QB then buy him out. He’s definitely not the guy.

Without a doubt. Donna Shalala could coach this team to 9 wins with this schedule. Short of some scandal, I would never advocate firing a coach after 1 season. But if he wins, say, 8 games this year and we don't get Charlotte and we look unprepared/uninterested at times again, I will be screaming the loudest for him to go. This schedule is a complete joke, this team has a TON of talent, and it's all led by a Top 5 QB in the game right now running a system that is completely perfect for him. Literally ANY coach with a pulse reels off a really, really successful season in Manny's shoes.

Without a doubt. Donna Shalala could coach this team to 9 wins with this schedule. Short of some scandal, I would never advocate firing a coach after 1 season. But if he wins, say, 8 games this year and we don't get Charlotte and we look unprepared/uninterested at times again, I will be screaming the loudest for him to go. This schedule is a complete joke, this team has a TON of talent, and it's all led by a Top 5 QB in the game right now running a system that is completely perfect for him. Literally ANY coach with a pulse reels off a really, really successful season in Manny's shoes.
The only loss I could accept is VT at Blacksburg because it’s hard to play there but other than that Manny needs to go if he can’t get to 11-12 wins. With Williams now the only question is LT to go with One of the most dynamic QBs in the country, 2 future NFL TEs, a good veteran back with 2 highly talented freshmen behind him, 2 legit first round talents playing the edge with 2 potential NFL in the middle, and an NFL backend to help our corners. This team ain’t perfect but it’s still the 2nd most talented team in the ACC.

It's not a question of us expecting to win 11 games. It's a question of us expecting to win 11 games to create the type of buzz you're anticipating.

9-3 (in the ACC coastal) is not going to attract the attention of the types you're talking about.

Advertisement
The only loss I could accept is VT at Blacksburg because it’s hard to play there but other than that Manny needs to go if he can’t get to 11-12 wins. With Williams now the only question is LT to go with One of the most dynamic QBs in the country, 2 future NFL TEs, a good veteran back with 2 highly talented freshmen behind him, 2 legit first round talents playing the edge with 2 potential NFL in the middle, and an NFL backend to help our corners. This team ain’t perfect but it’s still the 2nd most talented team in the ACC.

I’ve said from the second King announced that double digit wins and Charlotte is the minimum that should be expected from Manny this season.

Barring something unforeseen...crazy injuries, COVID stuff, etc, no coaching staff worth a **** loses more than 2 games in this same situation.

If King weren’t here, all bets would be off. I still think a good coach could take a squad minus D’Eriq to a good season, but when you add a kid this special at the singular most important position in sports, you’re not allowed to fail.

It's not a question of us expecting to win 11 games. It's a question of us expecting to win 11 games to create the type of buzz you're anticipating.

9-3 (in the ACC coastal) is not going to attract then attention of the types you're talking about.
9-3 is a failure. An absolute failure. It’s not about buzz. It’s about this team living up to its potential.

0 excuse to not win the coastal this year. Manny has the pieces in place. Any decent coach can go undefeated in the regular season with this team and our schedule. We do what we are suppose to do, and we will have a really good class.

Advertisement
And who knows if there will be fans at VT this year. I would at a minimum bet capacity is severely cut for most, if not all, teams this fall.

Buyout from a 10 win season?

I'll believe he's F$U until I see otherwise. That said, the plot is thicker.

Buyout from a 10 win season?
Absolutely. It wouldn’t happen because this administration has the sports IQ of a door nob but if he can’t take this very team to at minimum 11 wins then he ain’t the guy. This team probably has more talent than the 2013 team.

Advertisement
Back