Juco QB.

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Let's be honest.... we're gonna have an NC caliber roster in 2014 everywhere except QB and DT. But QB and DT are arguably the 2 most important positions on our team.

I'm not sure what the proper approach is at the QB position. I have zero faith in Williams/Crow to lead us to the promised land, and apparently they're both ahead of Dewey. That leaves us hosed in a big way. I would hate to see Olsen get KyleWright'd.... thrown into the fire too soon and destroyed mentally (not that I think Wright would've lived up to the hype otherwise, but it didn't help). Eduoauoauoard and Kaaya are both guys I like a lot potentially but they aren't the answer that early in their careers.

What's the proper approach? I have never in my life advocated taking a JUCO QB, but this might be one instance where it makes sense. What do you guys think.... suck it up and take the hit in 2014 with an eye to the future, or try and get a mercenary? The thought of a QB hampering our last year with Duke, a loaded WR corps and OL, what should be a talented defense.... makes me sick. Fisch kinda ****ed us here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's be honest.... we're gonna have an NC caliber roster in 2014 everywhere except QB and DT. But QB and DT are arguably the 2 most important positions on our team.

I'm not sure what the proper approach is at the QB position. I have zero faith in Williams/Crow to lead us to the promised land, and apparently they're both ahead of Dewey. That leaves us hosed in a big way. I would hate to see Olsen get KyleWright'd.... thrown into the fire too soon and destroyed mentally (not that I think Wright would've lived up to the hype otherwise, but it didn't help). Eduoauoauoard and Kaaya are both guys I like a lot potentially but they aren't the answer that early in their careers.

What's the proper approach? I have never in my life advocated taking a JUCO QB, but this might be one instance where it makes sense. What do you guys think.... suck it up and take the hit in 2014 with an eye to the future, or try and get a mercenary? The thought of a QB hampering our last year with Duke, a loaded WR corps and OL, what should be a talented defense.... makes me sick. Fisch kinda ****ed us here.

I think that depends on what they think of Olsen. I dont see why if he is the real deal he wouldnt be ready to start in his 2nd season

Also we tend to have a tough time getting Juco's so what QBs are out there that would be instant upgrades to Crow or Williams that would be realistic options for us?

it makes some sense, but if we bring in 2 freshman QB's this year like it seems we will, plus dewey, crow, olsen, and williams thats 6 scholarship qb's. not to mention the guy that plays baseball is on scholarship as well so thats 7. unless u think 2 or 3 qb's are gone by next year im not sure we can afford to have 8 scholarship qb's on the roster

I have more faith in growth from Williams or Crow than in some Juco stepping in to lead us to championship. These kids can take huge steps in a year. A and they will have had the benefit of sitting and learning from SM who is just now coming into his own. The game has slowed for him and for a QB that's huge. To think what might have been if he sported a nice red shirt back in the day.

I think that depends on what they think of Olsen. I dont see why if he is the real deal he wouldnt be ready to start in his 2nd season

Also we tend to have a tough time getting Juco's so what QBs are out there that would be instant upgrades to Crow or Williams that would be realistic options for us?
Couldn't agree more. If Olsen really is the second coming of Jesus... I believe he is lol then there is no reason that after red shirting one year he shouldn't be able to play!

Advertisement
Eh, McCarron won a national championship as a sophomore. If the talent around the QB is good enough, the QB can be fine and winning isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Putting aside the fact that I have a higher opinion of Ryan Williams than most, I disagree with the bolded.

Olsen wouldn't be thrown in too soon. He'd be a two-year freshman. Guys like Johnny Manziel, Marcus Marriota, and Sam Bradford were superstars as redshirt freshmen. Those might be on the high-end of the expectation scale, but Olsen doesn't need to be that good to be effective. Look at the talent he'd have around him:

LT- Flowers
LG- Feliciano
C- McDermott
RG- Isidora
RT- Bunche
TE- Walford and Sandland
WR- Scott, Waters, Lewis, Coley (I think Dorsett goes pro)
HB- Duke

Kyle was a terrible quarterback and came in with a makeshift offensive line and spotty skill position talent. Olsen is hopefully a better player and would certainly be put in a better situation to succeed.

Putting aside the fact that I have a higher opinion of Ryan Williams than most, I disagree with the bolded.

Olsen wouldn't be thrown in too soon. He'd be a two-year freshman. Guys like Johnny Manziel, Marcus Marriota, and Sam Bradford were superstars as redshirt freshmen. Those might be on the high-end of the expectation scale, but Olsen doesn't need to be that good to be effective. Look at the talent he'd have around him:

LT- Flowers
LG- Feliciano
C- McDermott
RG- Isidora
RT- Bunche
TE- Walford and Sandland
HB- Duke

Kyle was a terrible quarterback and came in with a makeshift offensive line and spotty skill position talent. Olsen is hopefully a better player and would certainly be put in a better situation to succeed.
If Gus, Dallas and Corn are as good as i think they can be and the dline steps up we will be fine because the FSU/Va Tech games will be later int he year when he should have his feet wet so he will be ready and the offense is ******* loaded so sometimes they will just carry him to big games

Wright was a RS Soph. He wasn't thrown into the fire too soon. Dude had 2 full seasons to sit and learn. He actually had a solid first year as a starter (20 TDs - 9 INTs). But it was all down hill after that. No idea how or why that kid regressed so badly.

Advertisement
Wright was a RS Soph. He wasn't thrown into the fire too soon. Dude had 2 full seasons to sit and learn. He actually had a solid first year as a starter (20 TDs - 9 INTs). But it was all down hill after that. No idea how or why that kid regressed so badly.

He was just never good. The first year, the running game and D/ST was good enough that they could cover up Kyle's deficiencies. After the Georgia Tech and LSU debacles, especially his inability to run for ONE YARD on 4th down against LSU, it was clear that the guy had no instincts. The worse the D/ST got, the more his weaknesses came to light.

I'm hoping for a similar thing to happen to Driskel this year. He is a better runner and player than Wright, but he has the same deer-in-headlights look when dropping back to pass.

LT- Flowers
LG- Feliciano
C- McDermott
RG- Isidora
RT- Bunche
TE- Walford and Sandland
HB- Duke

Agreed. It seems like a logical explanation for, Kyle Wright, a QB who came to UM with such high expectations. But this excuse that a player is thrown to the wolves too quickly and that inhibits his development is bull****. One year to learn the system is more than enough. If the QB is going to be a star, it will be immediately evident during real games in his sophomore year, often times as a true freshman as we have recently.

However, what is critical for a young QB is a veteran OL and between Flowers, McDermott, Bunche, and Feliciano, there will be plenty of snaps under their belts.

I like Ryan Williams as a back-up. I do think we can win some games with him but don't think we are capable of winning the ACC with him unless we have a top 10 defense again.

I'm with the majority here... too much **** talent across the board offensively where it will overshadow any flaws in our QB, if we have the right playcalling occur, our QB (Williams/Crow/Olsen) will look quite talented out there!

So we're all-in on a RS FR Olsen? I guess that's a strategy if you feel he is 100% real deal. His injury this last year and inability to play a lot of games scares me a bit. He'll basically be driving a Ferrari after going 2 years without being a QB in many real games and not having exceptional stats as a JR in HS. I post this not because I'm afraid he won't eventually be a good QB for us - I like his upside - I just hate the fact that the rest of the team should be so bad *** and he's going to have the weight of the world on his shoulders very early.

Perhaps the KW reference was a poor example.

Advertisement
Actually I think the KW example is spot-on. High-profile QB anointed as the savior of the program. Now where the rubber hits the road in this analogy is whether or not Olsen has more between the ears and in the gut than Wright did. I think the point you're trying to make is that 2014 would be a heluva time to figure that out, given the other weapons on the team, and I agree with that premise. That said, I'm not sure a JUCO QB would give us any more peace of mind than a RS-Fr Olsen.

Cam Newton aside, I can't think of any JUCO QB to make a serious impact on a title squad.

That said, I'm not sure a JUCO QB would give us any more peace of mind than a RS-Fr Olsen.

True, I'm just playing the odds. 2 maybes is better than 1 maybe. Perhaps I'm writing off RW/GC/PD prematurely, I just don't currently see them as legit "maybe"s.

Advertisement
Cam Newton aside, I can't think of any JUCO QB to make a serious impact on a title squad.

Was going to say the same thing. I am stereotyping here (in regards to position), but most QBs seem to have their **** together academically. Probably due to both the leadership needed from that position and that the position is probably the most cerebral.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree on the premise that we have surefire national championship talent in 2014. Our offense looks great, but we lose a ton on the O-Line that I dont think you can replace in one year. LB still has more questions than answers and it doesn't look like we've really solved our DT situation, although if Stuckey is even a competent rotational guy that should help immensely.

Olsen is the future, and if he sucks, were screwed in the short term. We put a lot of eggs in that basket. Dewey I had hope for, but I've been very unimpressed with Williams and Crow and they beat him out. I just don't see us at NC level in the next 2 years but no reason not to win 10 games every year here.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree on the premise that we have surefire national championship talent in 2014. Our offense looks great, but we lose a ton on the O-Line that I dont think you can replace in one year. LB still has more questions than answers and it doesn't look like we've really solved our DT situation, although if Stuckey is even a competent rotational guy that should help immensely.

Olsen is the future, and if he sucks, were screwed in the short term. We put a lot of eggs in that basket. Dewey I had hope for, but I've been very unimpressed with Williams and Crow and they beat him out. I just don't see us at NC level in the next 2 years but no reason not to win 10 games every year here.

we lose Linder and Henderson. Mongo,Bunche,Flowers,McDermott all will have at least 2 years of starting experience beginning in 2014. Duke will be a jr and Heisman candidate, will have Dorsett,Waters,Coley,Scott, Yearby who is also graduating early, so is Darling who is already 6'6 320.. Barrow will deliver Lane to Miami his mom and Barrow are very close. Walford will be an all acc TE with Sandland. On defense you have a sr 4 year starter Chickillo, sr 3 year starter Olsen Pierre, sr 4 year starter Perryman, 3 year starter Gunter, Howard, all acc and 2 year starter Deon Bush. Miami will start the 2014 year off in the top 10 maybe top 5 if we win 10 games this year like we should. Olsen can lead this team no doubt in my mind..

This is why I am really excited about Crow potentially moving ahead of Williams. Not going to bash Williams but Dewey or Crow needs to be better than him to give us another QB to push Olsen. JMO though.

Advertisement
Back