Juco QB.

When it's all said and done, the biggest sanction we'll have imposed during this big mess was the Jacory Harris 1 game suspension to start the 2011 season. It cost Stephen Morris a potential redshirt and UM a possible title run 2014. In hind sight we should have just played Whipple.

Advertisement
When it's all said and done, the biggest sanction we'll have imposed during this big mess was the Jacory Harris 1 game suspension to start the 2011 season. It cost Stephen Morris a potential redshirt and UM a possible title run 2014. In hind sight we should have just played Whipple.

I guess he could have redshirted his sophomore season, but he was redshirting in 2010 until Jacory got hurt and his redshirt was burnt.

Let's be honest.... we're gonna have an NC caliber roster in 2014 everywhere except QB and DT. But QB and DT are arguably the 2 most important positions on our team.

I'm not sure what the proper approach is at the QB position. I have zero faith in Williams/Crow to lead us to the promised land, and apparently they're both ahead of Dewey. That leaves us hosed in a big way. I would hate to see Olsen get KyleWright'd.... thrown into the fire too soon and destroyed mentally (not that I think Wright would've lived up to the hype otherwise, but it didn't help). Eduoauoauoard and Kaaya are both guys I like a lot potentially but they aren't the answer that early in their careers.

What's the proper approach? I have never in my life advocated taking a JUCO QB, but this might be one instance where it makes sense. What do you guys think.... suck it up and take the hit in 2014 with an eye to the future, or try and get a mercenary? The thought of a QB hampering our last year with Duke, a loaded WR corps and OL, what should be a talented defense.... makes me sick. Fisch kinda ****ed us here.
Our biggest problem with Ryan Williams isn't his accuracy or really even his decision making, it's his heavy *** feet & lack of arm strength. How do you counter that problem? With a big *** run heavy OL. We have the OL to give him time to step up & make throws. He is a pretty accurate passer & from what I've seen throws with good touch on his long ball. He's not gonna escape the pocket though that's for sure. It'll come down to Olsen & Williams & my pick is Olsen. He has some wheels & a great arm. Question is with a RS year will he be ready to mentally take the reigns. He'll have the weapons to be a badass so I'd say let him take the reigns. I'm more worried about defense.

Let's be honest.... we're gonna have an NC caliber roster in 2014 everywhere except QB and DT. But QB and DT are arguably the 2 most important positions on our team.

I'm not sure what the proper approach is at the QB position. I have zero faith in Williams/Crow to lead us to the promised land, and apparently they're both ahead of Dewey. That leaves us hosed in a big way. I would hate to see Olsen get KyleWright'd.... thrown into the fire too soon and destroyed mentally (not that I think Wright would've lived up to the hype otherwise, but it didn't help). Eduoauoauoard and Kaaya are both guys I like a lot potentially but they aren't the answer that early in their careers.

What's the proper approach? I have never in my life advocated taking a JUCO QB, but this might be one instance where it makes sense. What do you guys think.... suck it up and take the hit in 2014 with an eye to the future, or try and get a mercenary? The thought of a QB hampering our last year with Duke, a loaded WR corps and OL, what should be a talented defense.... makes me sick. Fisch kinda ****ed us here.
Our biggest problem with Ryan Williams isn't his accuracy or really even his decision making, it's his heavy *** feet & lack of arm strength. How do you counter that problem? With a big *** run heavy OL. We have the OL to give him time to step up & make throws. He is a pretty accurate passer & from what I've seen throws with good touch on his long ball. He's not gonna escape the pocket though that's for sure. It'll come down to Olsen & Williams & my pick is Olsen. He has some wheels & a great arm. Question is with a RS year will he be ready to mentally take the reigns. He'll have the weapons to be a badass so I'd say let him take the reigns. I'm more worried about defense.

I dont think you have ever watched Olsen play.

Advertisement
Great discussion. Great topic, Swag!

I'll say this - The growth that I saw in Gray Crow from spring game to spring game over the past year was impressive. I was also impressed with the growth of Preston Dewey over that span. If coach Golden can get that level of improvement out of each QB, I'd be comfortable with one of the guys on the roster (Williams, Crow, Dewey or Olson).

I actually like Williams a little more than most. I think he can prove to be the game manager QB that allows a very athletic team to thrive. Jussayin.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree on the premise that we have surefire national championship talent in 2014. Our offense looks great, but we lose a ton on the O-Line that I dont think you can replace in one year. LB still has more questions than answers and it doesn't look like we've really solved our DT situation, although if Stuckey is even a competent rotational guy that should help immensely.

Olsen is the future, and if he sucks, were screwed in the short term. We put a lot of eggs in that basket. Dewey I had hope for, but I've been very unimpressed with Williams and Crow and they beat him out. I just don't see us at NC level in the next 2 years but no reason not to win 10 games every year here.

we lose Linder and Henderson. Mongo,Bunche,Flowers,McDermott all will have at least 2 years of starting experience beginning in 2014. Duke will be a jr and Heisman WINNER, will have Dorsett,Waters,Coley,Scott, Yearby who is also graduating early, so is Darling who is already 6'6 320.. Barrow will deliver Lane to Miami his mom and Barrow are very close. Walford will be an all acc TE with Sandland. On defense you have a sr 4 year starter Chickillo, sr 3 year starter Olsen Pierre, sr 4 year starter Perryman, 3 year starter Gunter, Howard, all acc and 2 year starter Deon Bush. Miami will start the 2014 year off in the top 10 maybe top 5 if we win 10 games this year like we should. Olsen can lead this team no doubt in my mind..

Sorry.. Just had to make that one change..

Advertisement
REALLY wish baby jesbus had been a spring arrival. Getting some early reps, film study, Utough, and having the semester to adjust would have really advanced his development.

Disagree that a juco QB is needed and that Gaytor boy ****ed us. Noley can alter the offense around the run game and around Williams' strength. Instead of being a prolific passer Williams can be a game manager limiting his opportunities to make mistakes.

As far as Gaytor boy goes, please elaborate on why u think he ****ed us.

I feel what Swag is saying, but I agree with those that have said the JUCO QB option is almost certainly not going to be any better. Fact is you will just have a QB with one more year of experience, and he's still coming in and having to learn a whole new system so his first year in the program will require a stiff learning curve. When you add it up, unless we land some Phenom, I just dont see it as much of a solution.

Also going to jump on the Ryan Williams bandwagon here a bit too. I think a lot of people are underestimating this guy. I dont think he's going to be a superstar, but I dont think he has to be. If he can be a consistent, smart, game manager for us, I actually would not be shocked to see him maybe even start the season. I also think people may be sleeping on someone like Crow. Kid is not there yet, but he made some serious improvement. If that continues, there may be a pretty hot competition for the starting spot.

I'm all in on the winner of Olsen, Williams, Crown and whoever we bring in this year. You have to be in decent shape with this staff and that kind of competition. If Olsen can beat out Williams and Crown, we are in good shape. If Williams can hold of Olsen and Crow we are in good shape. If Crow beats them all, we are in good shape.

Advertisement
Wright was a RS Soph. He wasn't thrown into the fire too soon. Dude had 2 full seasons to sit and learn. He actually had a solid first year as a starter (20 TDs - 9 INTs). But it was all down hill after that. No idea how or why that kid regressed so badly.
I feel Kyle got David Carred because our Oline really sucked.

Wright was a RS Soph. He wasn't thrown into the fire too soon. Dude had 2 full seasons to sit and learn. He actually had a solid first year as a starter (20 TDs - 9 INTs). But it was all down hill after that. No idea how or why that kid regressed so badly.

One problem was too many different QB coaches from year to year.

Advertisement
Great discussion. Great topic, Swag!

I'll say this - The growth that I saw in Gray Crow from spring game to spring game over the past year was impressive. I was also impressed with the growth of Preston Dewey over that span. If coach Golden can get that level of improvement out of each QB, I'd be comfortable with one of the guys on the roster (Williams, Crow, Dewey or Olson).

I actually like Williams a little more than most. I think he can prove to be the game manager QB that allows a very athletic team to thrive. Jussayin.

had a chance to watch williams first hand with his miramar squad it was really unfair what he did to dude behind a great oline, and good receivers **** he is going to get a bonus with duke johnson at rb

Cam Newton aside, I can't think of any JUCO QB to make a serious impact on a title squad.

what about 5th yr transfers like Wilson?

There's a good idea. Too bad quality guys like Wilson are few and far in between as 5th year transfers. Dammit. Would be ideal if somehow we could snag a guy like this.

wilson is 5'10 we have 2 dudes in our back yard thats his size we might as well take them

Cam Newton aside, I can't think of any JUCO QB to make a serious impact on a title squad.

what about 5th yr transfers like Wilson?

There's a good idea. Too bad quality guys like Wilson are few and far in between as 5th year transfers. Dammit. Would be ideal if somehow we could snag a guy like this.

wilson is 5'10 we have 2 dudes in our back yard thats his size we might as well take them

Ummm...what? What you tryin to say here?

We will be just fine at QB. The DT position on the other hand, I'd go JUCO and at least two of them. There is a major drop off once you get past Pierre, Porter and Robinson...

Advertisement
Back