JUCO or SR transfer CB/S - we need to be looking

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
I'm amped about this season, but thinking about recruiting need, it sure seems to me like we need to be going hard after a JUCO CB & S this year.

Who starts opposite Jaquan at safety next year? What if Jaquan gets banged up? Scary thin depth there, and not sure you can count on Finley or James or Wright being at that level yet.

At corner - who starts opposite Redwine? Probably even scarier depth there, and again not sure you can count on Young or the newcomers being ready there.

The defense should be stacked to the gills in 2017, but these spots are worrisome due to the gap from Golden's giveup seasons and Richt's first class. We got some holes.

Advertisement
edit..thought u meant 2017.

Robert Knowles name has been popping up a few times this year. Hopefully he can make an impact.

Last edited:
Unlike this year, a veteran piece or two (e.g. JUCO or graduate transfer) will do the trick. I think there is an expectation that the 2017 team will have a few sophomore leaders, but we're still going to need a few guys (like Richards and Quarterman) to step up

Swaggers right about safety... Most likely we will have a freshman starting next year it Romeo if he has the speed ... Because I have no faith in anyone but Jaquan Johnson next year

Matthew Whyte - ASA College (Miami)

Matthew Whyte CB from ASA Miami, had 9INT's last year & went to Carol City... He was actually at Mark Richt's camp a few months ago (not Paradise, but the Mark Richt camp)

[HUDL]video/3/2188570/5721e243dfe23b2d68c96de5'[/HUDL]

Advertisement
Gonna have a really young secondary in 2017 aside from Johnson and Redwine. There should be plenty of young talent though.

Luckily CB and safety are fairly easy positions to make an impact at as freshman or sophomore.

The Abram kid that played for Richt at UGA as a freshman and went JUCO when Richt was fired plays safety and corner.

Young guys are going to have to step up. Hopefully Redwine proves himself this year, and has us excited about his Jr. season. Young will probably get his feet wet this year. Then well see if Jackson and Mayes can offer something by that time. Its not ideal but we got a big time CB class coming in. Deejay, Henderson, and Bandy so far. At least 1 of those guys is going to step up to the plate freshman year. I would feel a whole lot better if we grab a juco CB. If it doesnt look promising at that position through the course of the season, maybe 2.

Safety, I am a big Romeo Finley fan. Hopefully we can find some PT for him this year to get him prepped. I agree again, if the right player is available in juco, we should scoop him up.

O line is the other question mark. We only lose Isadora after this year, and i expect Navaughn to come in and replace him, but we need to be searching for instant contributors. If our talent/depth their matched the d line, wed be talking championship this year.

Advertisement
I'd venture to say it's actually much easier to fix a starting QB problem via transfer than to fix a secondary depth/quality issue. The college "waiver wire" ain't exactly the same as NFL free agency too. That said, I've been reading a fairly decent amount of reports about Colbert"son" but (as was mentioned) we're just going to have to really rely on some young guys to step up.

Advertisement
Swaggers right about safety... Most likely we will have a freshman starting next year it Romeo if he has the speed ... Because I have no faith in anyone but Jaquan Johnson next year

Im scared JJ doesnt have the speed man.....that was my worry with him. About to find out this year

Im scared JJ doesnt have the speed man.....that was my worry with him. About to find out this year

I agree but I think his instincts will make up for the speed of at least I hope

Advertisement
One day we have to put these guys that we offed scholarships to time on the field. That doesn't look good for recruiting

Lots of delusional posters in here.

How about we see how 2016 goes and how Finley, Wright, Young, James, Knowles, and Redwine do before crying that you have "no faith" in anyone but Jaquan. Jfc

Young guys are going to have to step up. Hopefully Redwine proves himself this year, and has us excited about his Jr. season. Young will probably get his feet wet this year. Then well see if Jackson and Mayes can offer something by that time. Its not ideal but we got a big time CB class coming in. Deejay, Henderson, and Bandy so far. At least 1 of those guys is going to step up to the plate freshman year. I would feel a whole lot better if we grab a juco CB. If it doesnt look promising at that position through the course of the season, maybe 2.

Safety, I am a big Romeo Finley fan. Hopefully we can find some PT for him this year to get him prepped. I agree again, if the right player is available in juco, we should scoop him up.

O line is the other question mark. We only lose Isadora after this year, and i expect Navaughn to come in and replace him, but we need to be searching for instant contributors. If our talent/depth their matched the d line, wed be talking championship this year.

Isn't Deejay gonna play wr?

Advertisement
Back