2023 JUCO CB Demetrius Freeney, College of San Mateo

Status
Not open for further replies.
117th? What an abortion that was.
Agreed. Massive underperformance by the players and the staff.

The talent was certainly there and validated by the draft and all-American honors.

How much of this was due to Steele’s scheme vs. Addae’s coaching? Is Guidry enough to compensate for last year’s performance?

We shall find out soon enough.

Advertisement

The talent was certainly there and validated by the draft and all-American honors.

How much of this was due to Steele’s scheme vs. Addae’s coaching? Is Guidry enough to compensate for last year’s performance?

I honestly expect a significant improvement for 2 reasons mostly. I think Guidry as a DC is much better suited and a better fit schematically. Guidry is very cerebral and tends to get the most out of his players. His best attribute however might be his ability to communicate his concepts to players in such a way that they have no issues understanding their assignments thus allowing them to play fast and instinctively. Secondly I think the team this year is in a much better place in terms of the locker room and total team buy in. The cancerous elements have been cut out, sent packing etc.

Add to this the fact that the staff has attacked the weaknesses in the secondary as aggressively as possible and added a few pieces who will undoubtedly make the unit stronger. The wildcards here are kids like Damari Brown and Robert Stafford who are both true freshmen. Can either or both make any type of impact this year? This also includes veterans like TeCoury Couch and Jaden Davis. Can Couch regain his confidence and play more like the guy we saw early in his career? Will the change of scenery and scheme benefit Jaden Davis? Will he fulfill the promise he showed as a freshman at OU? Will Chris Graves begin to develop and become a contributor? Will Jadais Richard fill a hole at CB or at Safety? Will Richard be able to claim the CB spot opposite Davonte Brown this allowing Porter to move to Nickel? Will Markeith Williams breakout this year? What is Guidry's plan for James Williams and will JW finally come into his own? Kamren Kinchens is the rock that this secondary will be built on.

Despite all of the additions to the secondary it is obvious that we need an infusion of high end talent that the next 2 classes should bring. Still I am cautiously optimistic about seeing significant overall improvement here.

Porter, Graves and Couch must be terrible. Not sure if its a numbers things when The Iowa CB just left. They bring in 4 CBs, and 2 from high school, minus 1 now.

I trust Guidry with DBs so that tells me them man been catfishing people at practice. The NFL went and drafted our starting 2 CBs who were consistently roasted and when they were out, we were worse. Something is off

Advertisement
Porter, Graves and Couch must be terrible. Not sure if its a numbers things when The Iowa CB just left. They bring in 4 CBs, and 2 from high school, minus 1 now.

I trust Guidry with DBs so that tells me them man been catfishing people at practice. The NFL went and drafted our starting 2 CBs who were consistently roasted and when they were out, we were worse. Something is off
I don’t think Porter is that bad. Looked serviceable in the Spring game; he’s just not a bonafide starter. Couch is Couch, Graves we keep hearing about potential but something is missing (for now). Might as well keep adding bodies until someone proves themselves.

I don’t think Porter is that bad. Looked serviceable in the Spring game; he’s just not a bonafide starter. Couch is Couch, Graves we keep hearing about potential but something is missing (for now). Might as well keep adding bodies until someone proves themselves.

Graves feels like one of those "he just needs more time" guys until there's no time left.

Couch has been picked on by every opposing OC for 2 straight years.

Advertisement
I know you guys know your stuff. But I just don't see it. Nothing he does impressed me. I actually felt Couch played significantly better than Porter last season.

Couch's problem, IMO, is that OCs realize they can scheme to pit him against bigger receivers with good hands that can manhandle him even though he is well positioned. Porter on the other hand just doesn't look instinctual to me, seems a step behind, and on top of that he is also too slight to battle bigger receivers.

I'm not going back to review the tape. So maybe I misremembered it and I'll gladly eat crow. But that was my judgment at the time. I just didn't trust him out there on the field.

I am not sure whether I'd say Couch was better than Porter or not last season, but I would agree neither looked good so I don't think your eyes missed anything.

Maybe I probably should have added that I was pleasantly surprised with how Porter looked in the spring compared to on the field in 2022. I certainly won't vouch for his play on the field in 2022, which I thought left a lot to be desired. He can't change his size so he'll always be at a disadvantage against taller/bigger WRs, but some of the hesitation you saw last year is stuff that can be improved and I thought he looked good in the spring game. Could have just been a few good series, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd give Graves more time. I think Porter is a serviceable body and I'm really surprised Couch hasn't hit the portal.

Many of those yards came from mental breakdowns, there has been a lot of players quoted saying the same thing.

When you blow coverage every game giving opponents layups it’s not hard to be that bad statistically. I’ve never seen so many in one year.
and the flip side of that is, We maybe only saw one blown coverage against us all year. Like you at least get 2-3 scores a year from the other team just ******** up...Not us. It was truly remarkable.

Advertisement
and the flip side of that is, We maybe only saw one blown coverage against us all year. Like you at least get 2-3 scores a year from the other team just ******** up...Not us. It was truly remarkable.
When teams blow coverages against us our Ol couldn’t hold up or the qb missed the read / throw. We never make teams pay like they do us. Remember X versus Clemson?

Last edited:

I don’t think y’all realize how much depth you need at Corner in todays college football. You play Nickle coverage almost 85% of the time. You can’t rely on 4 CB’s to play the entire game. You need 6 to feel comfortable in my opinion

I am not sure whether I'd say Couch was better than Porter or not last season, but I would agree neither looked good so I don't think your eyes missed anything.

Maybe I probably should have added that I was pleasantly surprised with how Porter looked in the spring compared to on the field in 2022. I certainly won't vouch for his play on the field in 2022, which I thought left a lot to be desired. He can't change his size so he'll always be at a disadvantage against taller/bigger WRs, but some of the hesitation you saw last year is stuff that can be improved and I thought he looked good in the spring game. Could have just been a few good series, but I was pleasantly surprised.
He looked better than Couch last year as well.

Couch has poor ball skills, lack of confidence, and is smaller than Porter. We couldnt even hide Couch because wherever we placed him they attacked.

I feel he needs an INT or something to get the swagger back...but i dont want him stealing reps until then..I have Porter firmly above him. He should be battling Jaden Davis for a possible nickel spot.....Porter and Richard duking it out for the other outside spot.

Advertisement
Guidry must HATE our CB room, lol.. I wonder how many kids transferred to sit bench, ouch..
I get the feeling for Guidry to get the most out of his playcalling he really needs to trust his CBs.

I’m all for bringing in another CB, I’m just glad this guy is over 6 feet honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back