Jovani Haskins

It's not about Gus Edwards being a great player. It's that there's very little returning experience besides Mark Walton. Are you willing to risk having Homer or a true freshman knowing all the pass protections if Walton goes down? It's no big deal for a freshman to come in and take a few carries but learning the entire offense isn't always a breeze.

Advertisement
Thanks, Pete. Were any of the possible transfers mentioned by Brooklyndee there? Any notably absent?

You guys can bag Gus all you want l, but if Walton goes down someway we r leaning on a Sophomore and 2 Tru Frosh ( supposedly )

and if Gus stays and Walton goes down, then we're leaning on Gus. How much of a plus is experience if it's all experience at being mediocre?

You guys can bag Gus all you want l, but if Walton goes down someway we r leaning on a Sophomore and 2 Tru Frosh ( supposedly )

and if Gus stays and Walton goes down, then we're leaning on Gus. How much of a plus is experience if it's all experience at being mediocre?

What about protections? What about routes and options? What about audible calls? It's a sophisticated offense, not the easiest thing for a true freshman to just pick up and execute perfectly.

Going into a season with 4RB's is dangerous as ****. It's not as if Gus' spot would be immediately filled by a 2017 contributor. We're better off with him, period.

Advertisement
Jovani is celebrating not getting kicked out by lighting up a fat blunt

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

It's not about Gus Edwards being a great player. It's that there's very little returning experience besides Mark Walton. Are you willing to risk having Homer or a true freshman knowing all the pass protections if Walton goes down? It's no big deal for a freshman to come in and take a few carries but learning the entire offense isn't always a breeze.

Good sign with Haskins is that he was at the opening team meeting of the semester last night. Looks like he will be back with the team unless something changes.

I'm not sure if the other rumored transfers were at the meeting, but I keep hearing that Courtel Jenkins is "back and forth" on if he will return, and Gus is still most likely gone.

Is there any deadline to make these types of decisions with the remaining eligibility these players have?

Advertisement
Thank You!!!!!!!!!

Yes I'd be willing to risk giving the ball to anyone but Gus. He is literally the worst running back we've have in decades.

Held my breath when I clicked this thread.

Great news. Hogskins is the real deal.

You dont need experince at rb. The easiest position to transition to at any level.

Advertisement
Good sign with Haskins is that he was at the opening team meeting of the semester last night. Looks like he will be back with the team unless something changes.

I'm not sure if the other rumored transfers were at the meeting, but I keep hearing that Courtel Jenkins is "back and forth" on if he will return, and Gus is still most likely gone.

Id really like to keep Courtel and although I like Gus, Im fine with him leaving, will free up some touches for Homer and Mcfarland and we obviously still have Walton. Well be ok at the Rb position... still have Choc too.

You dont need experince at rb. The easiest position to transition to at any level.

For the third time in this thread, it's not about running ability, it's the other responsibilities. If Walton goes down and Gus transfers are you comfortable with a true freshman's ability to master all aspects of playing running back? It's not just taking a handoff and running. There's pass protection and route running. There's play audibles and protection audibles. The reason why Homer rarely saw the field on offense last year wasn't because the coaches thought Yearby and Edwards were more talented, it's because they trusted them to not f-up if Kaaya changed the play or the protection. If by midway point next season, one of the freshman has mastered the playbook and Gus gets relegated to fourth string, so be it. I'm just not going to assume a kid is going to come in and be ready to play full time right off the back.

For the third time in this thread, it's not about running ability, it's the other responsibilities. If Walton goes down and Gus transfers are you comfortable with a true freshman's ability to master all aspects of playing running back? It's not just taking a handoff and running. There's pass protection and route running. There's play audibles and protection audibles. The reason why Homer rarely saw the field on offense last year wasn't because the coaches thought Yearby and Edwards were more talented, it's because they trusted them to not f-up if Kaaya changed the play or the protection. If by midway point next season, one of the freshman has mastered the playbook and Gus gets relegated to fourth string, so be it. I'm just not going to assume a kid is going to come in and be ready to play full time right off the back.

I guess you just dont get it, these modern day athletes can learn these offenses pretty dawn fast with reps in preseason camp, in season reps and good film study...we cant hold gus back from moving on if he wants to be featured and better his chances to make it to the league.

Advertisement
Gus please go!!

why? what harm does it do for him to stay?

did you see his carries in the last several games? Never seen a RB that's slower to the hole. Don't want them to sell him on staying and getting a bigger role next year and feel that they're committed to giving him carries over Homer and McFarland(hopefully).. which have much more upside

We have to re recruit Courtel Jenkins because it's worth it. We spent a lot of time in these big guys and they don't just come in and play like that. The level of play he is expected to play on this year is HUGE!!!

Advertisement
Back