Josh Pate on the post spring football landscape

Advertisement
And, I'm the mope!
IMG_3763.gif

My question is what real power would a new p2 body have that the ncaa doesn't already have?

If congress and the courts and overuling the ncaa, what would make the p2 new body any different?

The only solution I see to all of this is making the players employees and implementing contracts and heavy buyouts.

They could absolutely regulate the transfer frequency and window. Nothing would stop them from saying you can only transfer once every two years.

They could also set guidelines around collectives and NIL. The NFL doesn't let fans of the teams pay players millions of dollars as a way to side step salary cap rules.

People saying, "it's just gonna be the NFL", seem to have no idea that the NFL has very strict control over the things that currently have no control in college.

You guys just seem to think all these rich people are not sitting around trying to find ways to not spend all this money and deal with the hassle. I promise you the Ohio States, Alabamas, and FSUs of the world want to go back to facilities being the main influencer in players decisions.

Advertisement
can the transfer rules legitimately be more strict for athletes than they are for regular students that transfer? i mean would that likely survive legal challenge? forgive the ignorance and i'm well aware of past restrictions. i'm curious about this going forward.

Advertisement
They could absolutely regulate the transfer frequency and window. Nothing would stop them from saying you can only transfer once every two years.

They could also set guidelines around collectives and NIL. The NFL doesn't let fans of the teams pay players millions of dollars as a way to side step salary cap rules.

People saying, "it's just gonna be the NFL", seem to have no idea that the NFL has very strict control over the things that currently have no control in college.

You guys just seem to think all these rich people are not sitting around trying to find ways to not spend all this money and deal with the hassle. I promise you the Ohio States, Alabamas, and FSUs of the world want to go back to facilities being the main influencer in players decisions.
Explain your first paragraph more.

Ncaa had a rule, 1 free transfer and after that you need to sit. Courts shot that down and said you can transfer infinitely with no restriction.

So what would be different from the new p2 body trying to regulate that? It was the courts that lifted that restriction, not the ncaa saying well **** this do what you want.

It was a temporary ruling at first, and then went into effect because it wasn’t reversed. Hence Kayden

Will be unprecedented and might be a reason that some controls or changes are initiated.
I think it's safe to say every year the number would go up regardless. Same as underclassmen entering draft. But, I understand the sentiment.

Advertisement
I know the courts got rid of the "sitting out a year" rule, but seeing what it's all turned out to be, they should really bring it back, and I would drive it deeper and no player sitting out transfer year can earn NIL in that year. Has to be eligible to play to collect NIL...

We've heard this the past few years and usually the spring news doesn't live up to the hype. I understand the differences this time around but I'll hold my breath for now. This sounds like more of the same with the richer getting richer (hopefully that includes UM). Being a college HC must be infuriating - just constantly re-recruiting your own roster, negotiating deals, evaluating the portal, evaluating HS, evaluating your own roster, etc. Sometimes I wonder when they have time to focus on actual football.

Advertisement

Issue is much like the government, things are moving too fast for the regulatory bodies. So you’re seeing a ground level attempts at push back from the universities, or people like Saban flailing in press conferences. Its not gonna work because there will be people willing to do whatever it takes within the “rules”

But like Pate was saying sometimes you need some full *** crazy **** to get something done

This take by Pate sounds like a prison for the very violent, who’s gonna get raped, who’s gonna be doing it. Guards (NCAA) are asleep after a heavy meal. Nightmare for the inmates, but popcorn for us…

Advertisement
Back