Josh Pate on the post spring football landscape

Advertisement
I don't doubt what Josh said, but I have a hard believing that Mario (or any other coach with half a brain) would be glib enough to tell a national college football reporter his upcoming transfer portal strategy with specific names. But who knows....

Maybe he's BS'ing, but he spoke about talking to at least one staff that told him players on their roster they were losing (specifically at WR) and which programs their backfills would be coming in from...all before the portal opens.

Wild wild west for sure

You probably can tell a guy like Pate some version of the whole truth here because if he blabs, he'll probably find himself searching for a new career I'm short order

Will be unprecedented and might be a reason that some controls or changes are initiated.
No change will occur. People are blaming the NCAA for the craziness that is the transfer portal. The NCAA have their hands tied behind their back they can't do anything, The not having to sit out a year thing was caused by the courts not by the NCAA.

NCAA just gave up bc anyone would sue if they put restrictions on it again and they would lose in court making any rules they make just a waste of their time.

Advertisement
I’m ready for the entertainment of our fans that get too attached to players
20 years of sucking has hopefully ridded me of this. 🤞

Gaby said Powell is at Nickle and Riley Starting safety

When he posted this, it took me several minutes to place Mishael. Never connected the dots on Vandy kid. To be honest, it's kind of nice. I'm finally there... maybe

u222.gif

Advertisement
They trash them when they leave too… I mean we are seeing Ray Ray attacks and he’s neither playing nor in the portal…

What an era …
It’s going to be fun watching the same people that were saying spring portal is depth pieces now swing the pendulum the complete opposite direction and panic about not being able to field a team this year

None of this is getting fixed until a new governing body pops into existence. My guess is the P2 will form their own governing body with its own set of rules.

Suppose Mario reached out to say USF and say FAU. Says “hey I gotta free up some roster space. What I have isn’t good enough for us, but it’s much better than what you currently getting.” Kids don’t get f’ed over, and we open up schollys. I guess it’s not an impossible scenario.

Advertisement
None of this is getting fixed until a new governing body pops into existence. My guess is the P2 will form their own governing body with its own set of rules.
My question is what real power would a new p2 body have that the ncaa doesn't already have?

If congress and the courts and overuling the ncaa, what would make the p2 new body any different?

The only solution I see to all of this is making the players employees and implementing contracts and heavy buyouts.

That's not going to do anything meaningful. None of this is getting "fixed." It's just a low-level NFL now, and will become even more so with time.

Advertisement
On which are we going to be? Victims or Victimizers?
It is clear we need first to clear space and then get guys in so we will have to see if we are a better team overall for this year and the next.
Probably a bit of both just being realistic

I feel like the discussions and solutions that keep popping up within the landscape are focusing on the wrong stuff. "How do we put caps on the NIL deals?" "How do we make sure money/contracts is somewhat consistent and enforceable?" The NCAA and governing bodies are still focused on the wrong things. They don't want to see any compensation whatsoever. BTW, it also sounds like FL is going to start allowing HS players to enter into NIL deals in the future.

The biggest "band-aid" per se that can have a somewhat quicker solution is stop giving the players the ability to transfer without some type of penalty. They have openly encouraged this by keeping it a revolving door. They want to clutch their pearls, but the game has changed. If they want to transfer then put a penalty of having to sit out in there. Only 1-2 caveats that can allow for immediate eligibility. Your Head Coach (no other coach qualifies) leaves during your eligibility period, you can transfer without penalty. You graduate with a degree without exhausting your eligibility status, fulfilling your obligation for the scholarship provided to you, you can transfer without penalty. Everything else you need to sit. The Free Agency and wheeling and dealing will slow way down.

Advertisement
Back