Josh Pate On Miami's Meltdown vs Georgia Tech (Late Kick Cut)

Oh dude I was out of my mind at the time more so than I normally am on the gameday thread lol. Doing the math like the game is over take multiple knees. Even if there were a few seconds to spare just snap it and throw it as high and far as you can. It's game management 101.
When Chaney picked up first down it was like 1:57 with running clock, it was already over.. The first run Im like Mario is soo goofy, he cant help him self to run up the middle, they called timeout and I am thinking someone on sideline will realize just take 2 knees and its over.. When he comes back out and we run again, Im like WTF is he doing?!!! The thread is going insane at that point.. Then we run up middle again.. at that point..

Kill Me Goodbye GIF by Film Riot

Advertisement
When Chaney picked up first down it was like 1:57 with running clock, it was already over.. The first run Im like Mario is soo goofy, he cant help him self to run up the middle, they called timeout and I am thinking someone on sideline will realize just take 2 knees and its over.. When he comes back out and we run again, Im like WTF is he doing?!!! The thread is going insane at that point.. Then we run up middle again.. at that point..

Fans who were at the game, was the crowd chanting take a knee?

Yep it blew my mind. Then I’m thinking ok they are out of timeouts maybe they’ll get to mid field at worse throw a Hail Mary and we get away with one and move onto Unc but nope even if we tackle them short of the goal line the game is likely over. I mean there was like 2 seconds left. They’d have to line up still.

Good stuff by Pate...reasonable for sure.

It's just frustrating after so many years of malaise, the team looks to be turning a corner and recruiting is warming up, then something that just can't happen does happen and trims the remaining margin of error to almost nothing with UNC, Clemson, FSU, and LVille coming up.
Felt he whiffed on mentioning how lopsided the game was until the last 30 secs and obviously not addressing the fact that Chaney was actually down.

It was 450 yds to 180 yds up until the last two plays and we basically kicked GT all over the field for 4 quarters the only positive plays they had were turnovers or manufactured by the officials.

While he didn't have to go that far he could have at least acknowledged how our defense shut them down all game and that Chaney appeared to be down before the ball was stripped.

Advertisement
Yep it blew my mind. Then I’m thinking ok they are out of timeouts maybe they’ll get to mid field at worse throw a Hail Mary and we get away with one and move onto Unc but nope even if we tackle them short of the goal line the game is likely over. I mean there was like 2 seconds left. They’d have to line up still.
Couch mistimes his jump on the 1st pass and Kitchens lets the WR get behind him.

I mean everything that could've gone wrong, did.

Coaches were so worried about giving up the 3 points, they ended up giving up the TD.

The moment TVD lined up in shotgun formation on that last play, I was like.. hope this isn't going to bite us.... whatever happened after that was surreal... like some bad energy in the universe had taken over..

Worst coaching move in the history of this school and yet could have been bailed out had the D made a play, they choked as well.

Advertisement
It's pretty much my take on the whole thing. I do think that Mario needs a win against UNC big time. Before, we could've gotten away with a close loss to UNC. Now? He really needs the dub.

Last edited:
Worst coaching move in the history of this school and yet could have been bailed out had the D made a play, they choked as well.
Or fumble overruled. Watching it over the elbow was clearly down when the ball gets ripped out. It was just as egregious as running that play to begin with.

Oh dude I was out of my mind at the time more so than I normally am on the gameday thread lol. Doing the math like the game is over take multiple knees. Even if there were a few seconds to spare just snap it and throw it as high and far as you can. It's game management 101.
Game management

Gameday coaching

Seems to bring back memories of what was the number one knock on mario when he was hired.

Recruiting? He delivered

Gameday coaching? He has now delivered

Advertisement
Pad stats? Wanted to score again? Nah, man. They were crowding the box. Running into that was not getting you a TD. Everything else he said made sense.
They wanted Chaney over 100 because of what the kid had gone through. Hes a players HC the pad stats statement was off because he doesnt know the context of the story. Thats the only thing he was off on but I meant I agree with the context of what he said I should of been more clear.

Klatt is a moron. Wouldn't even waste my time taking to account what he has to say.

Is was idiotic. Dumbest thing I've seen on a football field since the HB pass in the blizzard in El Paso. It costed us a W - lots of stupid calls don't cost games and even if they do, it rarely costs a literal guaranteed win, there's usually more that happens - like the one against Stanford in 2018.

I would go as far to say that if it ever happens again, knowing it has happened to him twice now, that the next time will cost him his job. It's that egregiously stupid and shows a severe lack of football IQ to lead a program at this level or an ego that needs a serious adjustment.
I really respect what you bring to this board and you as a poster, but that is a scalding hot take.

This is Mario. He will bring us the talent to win championships and has proven he is willing to make wholesale changes to improve his staff. He will also coach us out a game once a year / every other year.

Do I think that puts him on the hot seat? Absolutely not.

He is a monster on the trail and it seems to be more about the Jimmys and Joes > Xs and Os at the highest levels of CFB.

He’s here until he doesn’t want to be and I’m completely on board with that. Frankly it’s miles ahead of what I thought we’d ever get after the last ~20 years.

I really respect what you bring to this board and you as a poster, but that is a scalding hot take.

This is Mario. He will bring us the talent to win championships and has proven he is willing to make wholesale changes to improve his staff. He will also coach us out a game once a year / every other year.

Do I think that puts him on the hot seat? Absolutely not.

He is a monster on the trail and it seems to be more about the Jimmys and Joes > Xs and Os at the highest levels of CFB.

He’s here until he doesn’t want to be and I’m completely on board with that. Frankly it’s miles ahead of what I thought we’d ever get after the last ~20 years.
He’s not bringing in championship level talent across the board and he’s not coaching at a championship level. Most positions? Sure. But he’s yet to do it at what I would say are 3 of the 4 most important positions… QB, DL, and CB. OL yes and WR.. starting to trend that direction. RB yes. LB yes. TE yes. Safety not exactly.

He’s bringing in ACC championship level talent. Sure. Playoff talent, probably.

Advertisement
TVD has A LOT of stuff piling up on his resume against him for the NFL

I've probably been his biggest advocate for a couple years now, at least one of them. He's good. He's great/elite when he's on.

Between not stepping in and taking a kneel, not knowing about the spike rule during FSU, the lackluster 2022, the shoulder problem, the finger, the leadership questions, the transfer to Bama saga.. for this point - mainly the spike thing and not kneeling - he's borderline undraftable if the draft was tomorrow. I question his football IQ and gamesmanship

I was wondering about him today. Does he have anxiety issues or something? He was wide eyed & rushing every throw to start the game like he had been harassed for 3 quarters already.

I remember Matt being demonstrative after a screen in which the ball was thrown before he could get out to block & even before the receiver could look for it.

I knew he could be uneven at times but I never saw a game like this coming, especially behind this o-line.

He’s not bringing in championship level talent across the board and he’s not coaching at a championship level. Most positions? Sure. But he’s yet to do it at what I would say are 3 of the 4 most important positions… QB, DL, and CB. OL yes and WR.. starting to trend that direction. RB yes. LB yes. TE yes. Safety not exactly.

He’s bringing in ACC championship level talent. Sure. Playoff talent, probably.
Agreed he’s not bringing in championship caliber talent across the board yet, but he is doing in position groups and it’s year 2, he needs more time. I have also been on here long enough to have read all the posts about previous coaches needing more time to stack chips, and it never happening, so I get that that argument is easy to pick apart. But his track record historically and recruiting results should at least give us an indication this is on a different level right?

I guess my point is that he could coach us out of 1/2 games a year and I still think he’s untouchable.

Regardless it sucks this is the convo we’re having vs being undefeated heading into the meat of our schedule and flipping a top WR from the champ’s backyard.

The entire media is clowning Mario and the U (as they should). We’re in Wounded animal mode as Josh Pate likes to so eloquently say. If Mario has really turned the locker room culture around then we roll next week. Every bone in my body is screaming “this is typical Miami and it’s gonna continue next week” but I’m gonna hold of on that thought for one more week at the very least

Advertisement
Back