Josh Pate On Miami's Meltdown vs Georgia Tech (Late Kick Cut)

Go watch Mario and Dawson before that last offensive snap. Mario's looking at the clock and trying hard but BRO run the ball!
lol. its still the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen. he is truly an OL where there isnt much going on upstairs I guess. like they can't stop the clock at all. you just had to kneel down and its done. on top of that, theyre running shotgun snaps where a million more things can go wrong (snap goes through the hands of the QB, or bad snap, or w.e.).

Advertisement
Yup. Well said. How the team responds the next 2 weeks will be very telling. When I see a kid like Matt Lee crying on the sidelines, I don’t see a kid who is ready to fold up the tents and go home after 1 loss. I hope everyone else on the roster feels the same way.
And there was another OL on the last play and threw his helmet down.

Better than taking IG photos.

Good point by Klatt about the QB or TVD

As the leader of the offense and of the huddle as soon as he gets the call for a run play he has to go back and be like wtf are we doing, we should just be taking a knee

Makes me think Mario was trying to get one more score to win by 10 instead of 3 because he’s over analyzing the future which is how Miami might be looked at for playoff or bowl situations
I agree but more likely trying to get Don 100 yards.

Saban isn't the best clock manager either. Just Saturday his QB threw an incomplete pass on 1st & 10 with 1:36 and Texas A&M having no timeouts.

Butch = Mario = Elite recruiter. I actually think Butch was a better X/Os guy but I wouldn't say Butch was a good clock/game manager. Heck, find a NERD that Mario can trust to tell him what to do and when with timeouts, kneeling, etc.
His did that on his own and that’s why Saban lost his ****. Not sure if he took it as an Rpo ot went full dummy. What Mario did is on its own mountain of stupidity, and it’s even worse he’s done it twice and lost. This isn’t some coaching misstep like they should’ve punted or went for it. This is some epic ****. Like to the point a firing could’ve happened in some situations.

I’m personally over it , I was more upset with how he handled the presser and taking accountability , I also don’t have the highest standard for Mario’s in game coaching. The bar is kinda low.

Last edited:
Advertisement
pates take is superior to Klatt. everyone in sports and in life to some extent has to have a short memory when mistakes are made. the players will not hold it against Mario unless things unravel badly from here. to those that think the team will go in the tank they are wrong. it is over, move on. painful loss but loses happen for tons of reasons in sports. program is trending in the right direction no matter what anyone says.
I’m trying to move on, but this sh##ty taste is still in my mouth.

His did that on his own and that’s why Saban lost his ****. Not sure if he took it as an Rpo ot went full dummy. What Mario did is on its own mountain of stupidity, and it’s even worse he’s done it twice and lost. This isn’t some coaching misstep like they should’ve punted or went for it. This is some epic ****. Like to the point a firing could’ve happened in some situations.

I’m personally over it , I was more upset with how he handled the presser and taking accountability , I also don’t have the highest standard for Mario’s in game coaching. The bar is kinda low.

I won’t go In to detail but Mario knew the situation and was aware of the obvious.

I have to assume you went ahead and dropped the bar to the ground after Saturday. 😂

Joel Klatt had a take at end of his show, if he clips it will post..

Starts at 41:55 mark

That’s a take I haven’t heard and probably deserves its own thread. Coming from a former qb klatt says it was on tvd to know time and situation and not run a bad play. Not to play blame game but this adds another layer to this 12 layer crap cake. Funny how with so many dynamics to this loss most people only focusing on one.

That’s a take I haven’t heard and probably deserves its own thread. Coming from a former qb klatt says it was on tvd to know time and situation and not run a bad play. Not to play blame game but this adds another layer to this 12 layer crap cake. Funny how with so many dynamics to this loss most people only focusing on one.
Mario knew the options and had the choice and chose for them to run it. That’s what he wanted called even though other options was mentioned. This is his decision , no need to bring a player into it. He’s not the head coach.

Advertisement
I agree but more likely trying to get Don 100 yards.

We have got to stop this. Can the mods make something where if someone mentions this, they get shocked or something? I've seen it 50 times already and it's nonsense.

Chaney had 100 yards after the 3rd and short run that should have ended the game. On 3rd down, after they reviewed what they originally called a first down on the field and reversed it to 3rd and short, with 2 mins left, he had 98 yards. The next run, which gained the first down and effectively ended the game, he gained 4 yards and had 102 for the night. That was the right call, GT had 1 timeout and it was 3rd and a foot, the correct call is to run the ball, get the foot, and end the game. We did that, and Chaney had 102 yards.

He then ran for -2 yards, GT burned their last time out (should have taken a knee)
He then ran for +2 yards, clock ran (should have taken a knee)
He then ran for +4 yards on a play that was snapped at :36 on the game clock with a running clock, and fumbled (should have taken a knee)

So he wound up with 106 yards. But only 4 came on the last sequence of 3 runs, all which should have been victory formation kneel downs.

So he had 102 yards before the dumbassery started.

I hate that I even have to spell this out, and that our coaches are so dumb that people think they would risk losing a game to get a back 100 yards like he's got some performance incentive in his contract or something, but since they're too dumb to go into victory formation, I guess I understand the questioning. But he had over 100 yards when we should have started taking knees, so even if they are this ******* moronic, getting him the 100 was already in the bag. Just kneel the ******* ball and go home.

I hate that I even have to spell this out, and that our coaches are so dumb that people think they would risk losing a game to get a back 100 yards like he's got some performance incentive in his contract or something, but since they're too dumb to go into victory formation, I guess I understand the questioning.
This and only this. The alternatice to wanting to get a player 100 yards is that they were so dumb they didn't have a reason.

Plus, the coaches do not have offical numbers the second they happen. If they wanted to make sure he had 100 yards they would not stop at 101 just in case the offical numbers came back at 99.

It wasn’t getting Don 100 yards. He knew the options and the obvious was mentioned multiple times. He had his reasons for running it albeit silly reasons Imo.

Exactly. I'm just trying to make people understand that even if you think he was concerned about getting Chaney 100 yards, that was already done and in the bag. He continued to run the ball 3X after Chaney already had 100 yards, all plays which are kneel downs 1000000000000000% of the time at every level of the sport.

Advertisement

the throwing the ball was qb doing it (which I think was just a reflex bec they had a pass play that may have been reviewed and he was just trying to get the playoff quick) but Saban absolutely was not in kneel the ball mode thats why he ran the next two plays after it. He's done that alot instead of taking a knee in those situations, maybe thats where Mario learned it from. I remember the UF game from a couple years ago with Trask and Pitts. Bama was up 2 points in their own territory and UF had no more timeouts and instead of taking a knee Saban ran the ball on 3rd down got stopped and then punted the ball with 10 seconds left in the game. It's a dumb decision but Mario isn't the only coach that has done this he's just the one that has had it backfire in astronomical fashion so that the entire world can question the decision not to kneel.

the throwing the ball was qb doing it (which I think was just a reflex bec they had a pass play that may have been reviewed and he was just trying to get the playoff quick) but Saban absolutely was not in kneel the ball mode thats why he ran the next two plays after it. He's done that alot instead of taking a knee in those situations, maybe thats where Mario learned it from. I remember the UF game from a couple years ago with Trask and Pitts. Bama was up 2 points in their own territory and UF had no more timeouts and instead of taking a knee Saban ran the ball on 3rd down go stopped and then punted the ball with 10 seconds left in the game. It's a dumb decision but Mario isn't the only coach that has done this he's just the one that has had it backfire in astronomical fashion so that the entire world can question the decision not to kneel.
Mario is the only coach to do it twice and lose both times . Which is very impressive in a bad way

Advertisement

As the leader of the offense and of the huddle as soon as he gets the call for a run play he has to go back and be like wtf are we doing, we should just be taking a knee

Makes me think Mario was trying to get one more score to win by 10 instead of 3 because he’s over analyzing the future which is how Miami might be looked at for playoff or bowl situations
If Mario/Dawson was trying to score, I think they would have gone to the air not a run up the middle.

Mario is the only coach to do it twice and lose both times . Which is very impressive in a bad way

I'm honestly blown away at HOW bad his late-game management has been over the last 3 seasons!

20 victories and 4 games with kneels. At least 4 games within 2 scores so you don't risk a fumble, score, and on-side kick. How has someone not brought this to his attention before ESPECIALLY after Stanford 2018?

Exactly. I'm just trying to make people understand that even if you think he was concerned about getting Chaney 100 yards, that was already done and in the bag. He continued to run the ball 3X after Chaney already had 100 yards, all plays which are kneel downs 1000000000000000% of the time at every level of the sport.
I think it continues to be said because 247 has said that Chaney had 98-99 yards and they were trying to get him over 100.

TVD has A LOT of stuff piling up on his resume against him for the NFL

I've probably been his biggest advocate for a couple years now, at least one of them. He's good. He's great/elite when he's on.

Between not stepping in and taking a kneel, not knowing about the spike rule during FSU, the lackluster 2022, the shoulder problem, the finger, the leadership questions, the transfer to Bama saga.. for this point - mainly the spike thing and not kneeling - he's borderline undraftable if the draft was tomorrow. I question his football IQ and gamesmanship

Advertisement
Back