Josh Pate On Miami's Meltdown vs Georgia Tech (Late Kick Cut)

I agree but more likely trying to get Don 100 yards.
Not only that, the commentator was pointing out the fact that we were breaking the huddle too quickly and asking our OL to stand in a certain position.

TVD left plenty of seconds on the clock.

Not sure it would've even mattered cause Mario probably would've still ran a play.

Advertisement
Not only that, the commentator was pointing out the fact that we were breaking the huddle too quickly and asking our OL to stand in a certain position.

TVD left plenty of seconds on the clock.
The entire last few minutes was a lesson on how not to manage the clock. Probably be shown at every coach seminar going forward.

Klatt is a moron. Wouldn't even waste my time taking to account what he has to say.

Is was idiotic. Dumbest thing I've seen on a football field since the HB pass in the blizzard in El Paso. It costed us a W - lots of stupid calls don't cost games and even if they do, it rarely costs a literal guaranteed win, there's usually more that happens - like the one against Stanford in 2018.

I would go as far to say that if it ever happens again, knowing it has happened to him twice now, that the next time will cost him his job. It's that egregiously stupid and shows a severe lack of football IQ to lead a program at this level or an ego that needs a serious adjustment.

Advertisement
Mario is the only coach to do it twice and lose both times . Which is very impressive in a bad way

There's a little context here though. This one (Saturday) was far more egregious. This was a literal no-brainer, like the definition of a no-brainer. There is only 1 decision, no matter what, and that decision is to take a knee, and we didn't do it. One billion percent epic fail.

The one at Oregon against Stanford has a little gray area, because they could not have run the time entirely out like we could have Saturday night. IIRC, there was about a 10-12 second gap between how far they could have run it down just taking knees. Stanford still had 1 timeout when Oregon fumbled. So he probably should have just taken a knee, burned as much time as possible, and maybe had a decision with under 10 seconds on 4th down. Do you punt, do you run around and throw the ball as high as you can out of bounds, etc. He still blew it, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't quite as completely clear cut as the one we had. The one we just went through was the more inexplicable decision making in the history of the sport. The one in 2018 was just really bad.

There's a little context here though. This one (Saturday) was far more egregious. This was a literal no-brainer, like the definition of a no-brainer. There is only 1 decision, no matter what, and that decision is to take a knee, and we didn't do it. One billion percent epic fail.

The one at Oregon against Stanford has a little gray area, because they could not have run the time entirely out like we could have Saturday night. IIRC, there was about a 10-12 second gap between how far they could have run it down just taking knees. Stanford still had 1 timeout when Oregon fumbled. So he probably should have just taken a knee, burned as much time as possible, and maybe had a decision with under 10 seconds on 4th down. Do you punt, do you run around and throw the ball as high as you can out of bounds, etc. He still blew it, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't quite as completely clear cut as the one we had. The one we just went through was the more inexplicable decision making in the history of the sport. The one in 2018 was just really bad.
I know , I watched the game but you still kneel it even if 6-10 seconds are left. Then kick it out of bounds or run out the back of the end zone if time will run out . That’s if you’re close enough. Statistically you only lose by running the ball or putting the ball in play. Both are pretty egregious

I'm absolutely shocked Don didn't fumble when he got blown up by 5 guys on first down. That should have told you alright two knees and get out of here and focus on UNC.

Advertisement
I know , I watched the game but you still kneel it even if 6-10 seconds are left. Then kick it out of bounds or run out the back of the end zone if time will run out . That’s if you’re close enough. Statistically you only lose by running the ball or putting the ball in play. Both are pretty egregious

For sure, it was bad. I watched the 2018 game live as well, I followed Mario very closely at Oregon like I think a lot of us did. And it was brutal, I'm just saying if what we saw Saturday was the dumbest **** of all-time, then what happened in 2018 was just incredibly moronic. They're not exactly apples to apples. But still both really ******* stupid. I could see a coach ******* up what happened in 2018.....there is NO excuse for any coach at any level doing what he did on Saturday, though.

I'm over blaming the refs. Yes they were atrocious all game. But you can't risk putting the game in the refs hands.
I don't disagree. However, our Canes deserve an even handed contest like their opponents in ACC.

It's to the point of not even bother playing.

Miami has to depart conference for any chance of equity.

I don't disagree. However, our Canes deserve an even handed contest like their opponents in ACC.

It's to the point of not even bother playing.

Miami has to depart conference for any chance of equity.
I agree. There were 4 plays that stood out to me that were atrocious. The hold on Cooper that was a Parrish td, the George penalty which negated a big Parrish run, a Flagg penalty which negated a loss pinned inside Ga Tech’s own 5 and then the fumble.

Advertisement
People don't like him because he uses his brain. I saw at least 2 comments on this site that they don't care for him because he's "too safe." That's wild.

A dude who gives reasonable, level-headed arguments is dismissed because it's safe. Do you mean he lives in the real world?
That’s the world we in go watch tv or look at comments lol. No logic it’s almost crazy. Josh says it better than I can but I usually agree with him even if it’s some team I hate or don’t like. Because it’s fair

Good point by Klatt about the QB or TVD

As the leader of the offense and of the huddle as soon as he gets the call for a run play he has to go back and be like wtf are we doing, we should just be taking a knee

Makes me think Mario was trying to get one more score to win by 10 instead of 3 because he’s over analyzing the future which is how Miami might be looked at for playoff or bowl situations
LOL you must be joking. Analyzing the future of how Miami may be looked at in playoff or bowl situations??? Brother who is the one overthinking here? Yes Mario made the dumbest most egregious call in the history of the game. Yes they were probably trying to get Chaney over 100 yards but that run where Chaney fumbled was going to be the last play of the game. Yes Mario is what he is but the guy who purposely set up for a FG after the JW pick is now going for a TD in that situation? I want what you are smoking.

Advertisement
I'm absolutely shocked Don didn't fumble when he got blown up by 5 guys on first down. That should have told you alright two knees and get out of here and focus on UNC.
GT called a Timeout for us too to get our **** together and realize we just needed a couple knees and it was over.. Went back to gameday thread and saw you were one of first post calling it out after getting first down.. Its crazy how many of us knew before we even got the first that game was over, them challenging the spot actually helped us.. Just incredible..

GT called a Timeout for us too to get our **** together and realize we just needed a couple knees and it was over.. Went back to gameday thread and saw you were one of first post calling it out after getting first down.. Its crazy how many of us knew before we even got the first that game was over, them challenging the spot actually helped us.. Just incredible..
Oh dude I was out of my mind at the time more so than I normally am on the gameday thread lol. Doing the math like the game is over take multiple knees. Even if there were a few seconds to spare just snap it and throw it as high and far as you can. It's game management 101.

lol. its still the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen. he is truly an OL where there isnt much going on upstairs I guess. like they can't stop the clock at all. you just had to kneel down and its done. on top of that, theyre running shotgun snaps where a million more things can go wrong (snap goes through the hands of the QB, or bad snap, or w.e.).
Actually….OL are usually the smartest guys on the team

Advertisement
Back