Josh Pate On Mario Cristobal & Miami Doubters This Season (Late Kick Cut)

I'm have a bias toward McAfee for some personal and geograohical reasons but Pate would've been a 1000x better addition to that GameDay broadcast if we're just talking actual quality of the show/information/analysis.

As was mentioned, I think it's actually better for us that Pate hasn't been scooped by ESPN or FS1 yet. I think he got a pretty good amount of $ with his last new deal so let him continue to grow his show/brand to a point that it'll be big enough that he can't be ruined or changed too much if he does eventually make the leap to a big network.
Agreed

I'm not even sure he'd go to ESPN or FS1 if they called tbh. He loves his lane and I don't blame him. He works 3 times a week. ESPN would want him working almost daily. Plus they're not gonna let him wear a white T Shirt lol

Advertisement
Agreed

I'm not even sure he'd go to ESPN or FS1 if they called tbh. He loves his lane and I don't blame him. He works 3 times a week. ESPN would want him working almost daily. Plus they're not gonna let him wear a white T Shirt lol
He’s also too measured and reasonable for ESPN. They would need him to dial up the “hot takes” x100 before he would be able to get paid.

Fairly reasonable take. Credit/blame. Didn’t let Mario off the hook. Didn’t claim him to be da gawd. Didn’t crucify him.

Depending on who posted exactly what Pate said, they’d be labeled a mope here…

Nah, Josh is capable of handling positive and negative impressions in the same conversation. Unlike the Mope Squad.

Advertisement
Advertisement
ask Saban is Mario needs Phil Knight.
I knew Mario wasn’t no joke when I read a Calvin Ridley interview where he stated he was “all set to come to Miami, wasn’t going to take anymore visits and Mario Cristobal… CONVINCED him to take a trip to Tuscaloosa just to check it out. And the rest is history”. Smh.

You’re on the nose with that and then they would have a Skip Bayless type character to not only argue but to combatively argue every point made for no reason other than to argue
Josh is exactly the last type of person ESPN wants working there. Straight white guy that lifts weights every day? Doesn’t even have pronouns in his bio.

He’s also too measured and reasonable for ESPN. They would need him to dial up the “hot takes” x100 before he would be able to get paid.
I don’t know exactly when it happened but sports media became obsessed with giving loudmouth know it alls huge platforms to just spout ridiculous takes at high volume. Insightful commentary and thought out opinions get shoved to the side for the “hot take”. I don’t know why ESPN decided to copy the “AM sports radio” format for their programming . One of the reasons nobody listens to sports radio anymore is because we’re tired of hearing opinions of people who don’t know wtf they’re talking about.

I don’t know exactly when it happened but sports media became obsessed with giving loudmouth know it alls huge platforms to just spout ridiculous takes at high volume. Insightful commentary and thought out opinions get shoved to the side for the “hot take”. I don’t know why ESPN decided to copy the “AM sports radio” format for their programming . One of the reasons nobody listens to sports radio anymore is because we’re tired of hearing opinions of people who don’t know wtf they’re talking about.
Yeah it’s not just sports media

It’s all social media content really. It’s more rewarding to make hot take extreme shareable content that gets views and likes than making content that is based in reality

Advertisement
Since this thread will devolve into the same nonsensical circular argument from a bunch of people who don’t know what they’re talking about I’ll just focus on the fun part

“His offensive coordinator hire SUCKED last year”

☠️

Also I respect Pates opinions because he presses the 120s
if youre reading this its too late aubrey drake graham GIF

Agreed

If you listen to his show he works insane hours. He might be on air 3 times a week but all of the prep and travel they do is pretty nuts. They go to a road game every weekend during the season. If you count travel days as work days he said they didn't have a day off for almost the entire season

Advertisement
If you listen to his show he works insane hours. He might be on air 3 times a week but all of the prep and travel they do is pretty nuts. They go to a road game every weekend during the season. If you count travel days as work days he said they didn't have a day off for almost the entire season
There is no off-season in his mind but it's cause he loves ball and loves talking about it.

Agreed

I have been following JP/Late Kick kick since way before 247. He is smarter and more long term focused than most broadcasters. Got a deal cut with CBS to keep the Late Kick IP. If/When he leaves, it would be as a solo brand ala Barstool.

Josh also knows ESPN is circling the drain, lol.

I have been following JP/Late Kick kick since way before 247. He is smarter and more long term focused than most broadcasters. Got a deal cut with CBS to keep the Late Kick IP. If/When he leaves, it would be as a solo brand ala Barstool.

Josh also knows ESPN is circling the drain, lol.
He despises ESPN and pretty much takes shots at them on his show frequently lol

Not that I blame them, but a lot of this started with Kornheiser & Wilbon and Pardon the Interruption. Most shows since then are derivative of that show, and attempt to do what that show did (better).

The bottom line is that Kornheiser/Wilbon were professional colleagues who respected each other, just as Siskel & Ebert did for movie reviews.

Most shows since PTI substitute arguing and adversity for the camaraderie that Kornheiser/Wilbon have.

Advertisement
Back