Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess the Penn State WR job isn't a given? I was reading their boards and his name rarely comes up. And even if it did, it was with fairly mixed opinions..some of them even think there may some beef between Franklin and Gattis.

Seems like there are rumors of Gattis having negative experiences with everyone he has worked with

Advertisement
Coley's time at FSU was a mirage, he never called plays and he's failed EVERYWHERE where he has called plays.

Coley's involvement was as Jimbo's assistant. He could certainly script a good opening series of plays and then there was a fall off making adjustments during the game. And apparently OP forgot about Coley's time as OC in Georgia and and why he is now a qb coach at Texas AM

If we have uncompromising standards, like Mario says he supposedly has, how can there be no accountability when massive failure occurs? They go hand in hand. And it’s funny how Mario is basically firing him but he would have to completely lie to other coaches if they inquired about gattis in the hopes he could convince them he’s a good coach and take gattis of our hands…that’s why this whole clandestine crap is pathetic, especially after 2 months

Assuming for the sake of argument Mario already told Gattis he was not being retained but he was giving him some amount of time to try and find a landing spot before firing him (and that time hasn't lapsed), do you honestly consider that "no accountability"? Providing your employee an opportunity to get their affairs in order before you ultimately go your separate ways doesn't demonstrate a lack of accountability. I also wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Mario would have to "completely lie" to inquiring coaches. He could honestly say it didn't work out for Gattis at Miami the way they'd envisioned, there were some unique challenges this year with the offense and with some injuries that hurt the team, and he ultimately wants to take the offense in a different direction.

As far as the timeframe and how long you give a coach before it starts to get silly, that's a fair point and I agree with you. Once keeping a guys around does more harm to the program than good, it's not a smart move and something needs to be done. I'm not a fan of firing assistant coaches during the season, and I can even understand the logic of waiting until ESD is over to make a move (for plus recruiting coaches, not a guy like Gattis), but keeping Gattis around this long has hurt us with WR recruiting (both HS and portal). If it was up to me, Gattis would have been gone no later than the Friday before the portal opened.

Advertisement
So I guess the Penn State WR job isn't a given? I was reading their boards and his name rarely comes up. And even if it did, it was with fairly mixed opinions..some of them even think there may some beef between Franklin and Gattis.

Those fans won't make that decision though.

Seems like there are rumors of Gattis having negative experiences with everyone he has worked with
I was just going to say that, seems he was not liked by EVERY SINGLE staff he has been on. MIchigan we know for sure. Alabama there was beef with Locksley and rumors he was one of Sabans least favorite coaches ever. Miami... well yeah. And now rumors of same issue with Franklin. Dude is a cancer on top of being a ****** coach.

Advertisement
I'm sorry that Mario doesn't move on the timeline that your smooth little brain can accept. He isn't unlike 'the rest of college football' but choose whatever narrative you'd like to believe.

Again, Mario had big money to put together a staff and completely flubbed the OC/QB coach hirings. Running both of those guys off Trump in the Apprentice style would only compound how poor the optics are. Coaching, especially in college, is a fraternity, and there is a right way of doing things and a wrong way of doing things. You clearly aren't paid to make important decisions so I can't expect you to understand any of this.
I’m struggling to grasp why everyone can’t see he’s facilitating changes as opposed to the louder alternative of firing his subordinates. It’s as you alluded to a defacto marketing move that long term should help Mario’s reputation to attract high end coordinators & assistants.

Those fans won't make that decision though.

Was listening to the 3 LIve Canes Podcast other night and they are no fans of Gattis but did say Gattis had a very good track record working with wrs and his prior stops as a wr coach.

Of course not.. Just saying it doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion that he'll be the pick. Seems like there's still a few realistic options on the table.
You can't deduce that from message board talking between fans.

Advertisement
I think the issue with the Gattis delay is possible NFL spots. If he goes to PSU as a position coach (unless co-OC or something similar) then optics plays into the "mutual parting of ways". No one would believe it and he probably would have to answer for it from media. NFL would at least be more believable.

I’m struggling to grasp why everyone can’t see he’s facilitating changes as opposed to the louder alternative of firing his subordinates. It’s as you alluded to a defacto marketing move that long term should help Mario’s reputation to attract high end coordinators & assistants.
As Cribby said, Ponce was getting paid more at Miami to be the QB coach than he was to be the OC at App State. Would the guy just u-turn back to the same job he vacated 12 months ago because he simply felt like it?

The Gattis move is more complicated given the money involved/buyout and lack of clear path to a next, at least lateral landing spot.

Advertisement
I don’t agree with some of the other posts about how difficult it will be to attract a legit OC, but at the same time I think you’re overselling the opportunity to be successful in the near term. At a number of positions you mention we‘re going to be extremely young and / or have players returning from injury (e.g., oline, rb and te) and wide receiver is a dumpster fire, which is only being exacerbated by the delay in hiring a new OC with the impact on recruiting. In addition, we’re an injury to TVD away from having a disaster at qb.

There‘s certainly opportunity for a good OC, but at the same time I could see candidates having real concerns about taking on this role given the current roster, not only for this season but because of how we’re set up at qb for after TVD.
I personally believe it’s going to be Marcus Arroyo if Gattis is gone. It makes too much sense. And I’m confident arroyo can produce a respectable offense with our personnel. You’re abolsutely right about injuries and youth at certain positions but The bar was set as low as possible from last year so improvement is pretty much a given.

He was absolutley horrendous with the Bucs this year. Once he no longer had Arians to lean on, he was exposed. How crazy is it that Leftwich was a legit HC candidate a year ago. Now he's looking at a certain demotion and a long road back to sniffing a HC interview.
I could see the Commanders hiring him as OC if he was interested. They have a clueless Front Office and Leftwich is a local DC guy, born and raised. Plus, i don't see others wanting the job with Snyder selling the team/new owner and Rivera prolly only with one year left. No security.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back