Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean this as an attack on you. I think you are just offering a vantage point. But if this is the case then you need to fire the guy and figure out who that suitable replacement is. The wheels will again absolutely fall off next season if you enter like this. Imagine if your boss said "listen, we know this is not working, we are looking for someone, but we will keep you around per the contract up to the point that we find someone better." It is so stupid I actually can't wrap my head around it.
But if it works for Gattis as well, then what's wrong? What if Gattis would prefer another year to "prove himself" rather than derail his career by taking a demotion to go elsewhere or get fired?

He obviously has not been able to upgrade or even get a comparable job or he would already be gone.

Gattis is arrogant enough to believe none of the problems from '22 were his fault.

Advertisement
Can you be more specific. He's obviously not gone yet. What did he mean by Gattis is gone? Did he say he'll be fired? Did he say he'd find another job?

If I were an insider, and I knew that Mario told Gattis to find another job, I would tell people that Gattis is gone.

But he's not gone yet.

If you're Mario, and you're not getting an OC you want, maybe keeping Gattis is the next best option?

Didn't he leave that door open by not firing Gattis yet?

Mario wants Gattis gone. But he's not..Mario also wants a better OC.. But he doesn't have one yet.

Things change.
To answer your Qs, yes and yes.

To address the rest of your post, it makes no sense to me that Mario would have commenced a search for another OC unless he already decided Gattis was a goner. I mean, the predicate for searching is you are not happy to begin with. If you're looking, it is because you recognize there's a problem. The idea that he'd reverse course and decide, "hey, it's not so bad after all!" is unlikeliest of all.

Can you be more specific. He's obviously not gone yet. What did he mean by Gattis is gone? Did he say he'll be fired? Did he say he'd find another job?

If I were an insider, and I knew that Mario told Gattis to find another job, I would tell people that Gattis is gone.

But he's not gone yet.

If you're Mario, and you're not getting an OC you want, maybe keeping Gattis is the next best option?

Didn't he leave that door open by not firing Gattis yet?

Mario wants Gattis gone. But he's not..Mario also wants a better OC.. But he doesn't have one yet.

Things change.
and here in my opinion is the problem. the apparent inability to hire a better OC

Gattis’ employment at Miami shouldn’t be contingent on what other jobs he can land or what other teams want to hire him. To give Mario a break because it “hasn’t worked out” is laughable since he has the power to make it happen, he’s just not using it.
Mario worrying about where Gattis lands before letting him go is strange in this business...look at Dabo - not worried about where Streeter lands - just goodbye. Here is Dabo's quote on it which Mario should apply to his staff:

"As the leader of this program, I am accountable for our staff and accountable for our results, and though we took a step forward offensively in 2022," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said in a statement. "After evaluating our offense in-depth, I felt it was in the best interest of our program to seek new leadership at that position. These decisions are never easy, but it is my job to evaluate and assess every part of our program every year, and this was just the right time to make a change."

To answer your Qs, yes and yes.

To address the rest of your post, it makes no sense to me that Mario would have commenced a search for another OC unless he already decided Gattis was a goner. I mean, the predicate for searching is you are not happy to begin with. If you're looking, it is because you recognize there's a problem. The idea that he'd reverse course and decide, "hey, it's not so bad after all!" is unlikeliest of all.

i'm sure mario is convinced that gattis sucks, but maybe, just maybe, he can't lure a better candidate?

Advertisement
Any movement on this front or nah? Don’t want to read through all these pages lol but saw somewhere on here a couple days ago that this might be the week? Well it’s Friday

But if it works for Gattis as well, then what's wrong? What if Gattis would prefer another year to "prove himself" rather than derail his career by taking a demotion to go elsewhere or get fired?

He obviously has not been able to upgrade or even get a comparable job or he would already be gone.

Gattis is arrogant enough to believe none of the problems from '22 were his fault.
That's fair from the Gattis side (candidly the one I care less, if at all, about). But if that is the case then it still goes back to Mario. Once you determine someone is not right, then you need to find whoever is. This is not a binary decision. There are a LOT of qualified people out there. Whatever this is has been mismanaged.

i think the angst is misplaced. the issue is not the veil of secrecy, frankly it should be no other way, but the timing and delays. that is why everyone is freaked out, and rightfully. the second cause of angst is mario's apparent (yes, apparent) inability to hire a top notch OC. he gets a pass for last year but 1/3 of the way through the season if not earlier or a bit later he witnessed that his OC was incompetent and he should have started planning for the next one. don't great coaches always have a list in their shirt pocket, as the saying goes?

add to this highsmith and radakovich, both seasoned and extremely successful professionals. unless they pull out a magic rabbit out of their ****s, it seems (yes seems) they've failed in replacing the OC
Well, what if it's what I outlined earlier? He's made the decisions. He's put feelers out. Heck, maybe he's even interviewed a candidate or two. But he just doesn't feel the need to announce anything to the media or fans to satisfy the pitchfork crowd.

Well, what if it's what I outlined earlier? He's made the decisions. He's put feelers out. Heck, maybe he's even interviewed a candidate or two. But he just doesn't feel the need to announce anything to the media or fans to satisfy the pitchfork crowd.

not sure i understand, are you suggesting that he should announce he's searching?

Advertisement
i'm sure mario is convinced that gattis sucks, but maybe, just maybe, he can't lure a better candidate?
That just seems unlikely to me given the amount of money we paid Gattis. With that amount, he should be able to lure a decent pool of candidates. So even if Mario is (as rumored) tough to work with, I think plenty of folks would be interested in a raise, no?!

not sure i understand, are you suggesting that he should announce he's searching?
Right. If he's some private guy who wants to be quiet about things, does he truly have to announce that Gattis has been fired and he's out searching for a replacement? IMO, I think that's optimal but I guess it's not necessary.

And btw, I'm not defending Mario. This is not the way I'd prefer. I am just trying to make sense of the circumstances.

That just seems unlikely to me given the amount of money we paid Gattis. With that amount, he should be able to lure a decent pool of candidates. So even if Mario is (as rumored) tough to work with, I think plenty of folks would be interested in a raise, no?!

In some people's eyes, that raise may be negated by not having complete control over the O, not being able to have complete control over the assistants on that side of the ball, and other issues that have been rumored about Coach Cristobal and his hiring process ...

Advertisement
Right. If he's some private guy who wants to be quiet about things, does he truly have to announce that Gattis has been fired and he's out searching for a replacement? IMO, I think that's optimal but I guess it's not necessary.

And btw, I'm not defending Mario. This is not the way I'd prefer. I am just trying to make sense of the circumstances.
i know you are simply trying to make sense of an illogical and confusing landscape, we all are! we are all reading tea leaves.

but the secrecy aspect goes IMO without saying. no other real way to work. there is something else behind the curtain. again, mario, highsmith and radakovich are top notch trio and i find it hard to believe that they collectively can't get this right. maybe they will, and i know for a fact that highsmith and radakovich have been told about the angst among fans and certainly mario knows it too, especially after a 5-7 season.

How about satisfying the WR recruits that we keep embarrassingly whiffing on?

Advertisement
Then that is even more concerning. But realistically, with the amount we are paying assistants, go find that next guy at a lower level. That is partly what Zo's value add is. I also wonder how resistant Gattis is to bringing on an analyst like what Michigan did for him. Which after last year, should be a non-starter for next season if he wants to stick around.

You think he would feel the need considering he’s striking out badly for WRs in the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back