Jordan Davis DT

Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Calais Campbell finished the 2016 season as the second-ranked interior defensive lineman in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus -- just in time for a new contract. He’s slated to become a free agent in March.

Advertisement
And he played DE.

Calais campbell is 6'8.

De & Dt. Arizona is a hybrid defense. When they are in nickel sets or even a 4-3 at times he plays Dt. When they run their base 3-4 he plays the 5 technique.

What's his primary position? Where does he line up the majority of the time? Guy is a DE. NE at times has 1 down lineman where the rest drop into coverage. Would you have me believe that all those guys r linebackers and DB's? Just because there are specific packages where a guy slides inside doesn't all of a sudden make them a DT.

He plays both. He actually spends a lot of time at DT because thats where most of his sacks come from. Just looked it up and 70% of his snaps came at DT.

Because Arizona does not use the "DE" as nomenclature for their Depth Chart. I conceded he slides inside at times, but dude is not DT.

If ya'll are still arguing about whether a 6'6 guy can play DT and Calais is too much of a tweener to get a consensus then use Albert Haynesworth or John Henderson as examples. Both were at least 6'6 and played DT.

There have been plenty of tall effective DTs in the NFL over the years--Richard Seymour, John Henderson, Kevin Williams, Michael Brockers, Tony McDaniel, Kendall Langford, Malik Jackson, Jason Hatcher, JJ Watt (plays inside about 40% of the time), Tony McDaniel, Alan Branch, etc.

And he played DE.

De & Dt. Arizona is a hybrid defense. When they are in nickel sets or even a 4-3 at times he plays Dt. When they run their base 3-4 he plays the 5 technique.

What's his primary position? Where does he line up the majority of the time? Guy is a DE. NE at times has 1 down lineman where the rest drop into coverage. Would you have me believe that all those guys r linebackers and DB's? Just because there are specific packages where a guy slides inside doesn't all of a sudden make them a DT.

He plays both. He actually spends a lot of time at DT because thats where most of his sacks come from. Just looked it up and 70% of his snaps came at DT.

Because Arizona does not use the "DE" as nomenclature for their Depth Chart. I conceded he slides inside at times, but dude is not DT.

You are wrong let it go. He ranked as the 2nd best DT in the nfl this year by pff but yet he isnt a dt.

Advertisement
And he played DE.

He definitely has played more inside the past couple of years I don't what you are watching...

You can always play DTat 6'6. Now if Kul sees it the whole time he **** sure knows more then all of us but iI've seen many DTS at his height play a decade in the NFL

Jesus, what a stupid argument. People will find anything to start **** about on here man

In ANY case, if Kul thinks the dude will work at DT, then he should be alright with any of us. It's that simple

I used to play against mallard creek in high school, that program is legit and there is plenty of talent in Charlotte.

Advertisement
Arik Armstead comes to mind watching his film.

A tall DT can be just effective if not more effective than short and stout guys, just depends on how you use the leverage. Pairing him with a shorter guy like Silvera as the gap stuffer could help.

Being tall and having long arms helps you engage and keep the OL off of you to shed a block and make plays in the run game and open the gap for blitzing linebackers. Last thing.. Kool is the best DL talent evaluator in the entire country second to absolutely no one. If he's recruiting him with the momentum we have on the trail right now.. I'm not worried about how he will pan out at all.

His Head coach coached me in High School. Good times.

Head coach is from South Florida...HOLLYWOOD...so alot of their kids have interest with the canes from JUMP. See..Marquis Williams.

Advertisement
His Head coach coached me in High School. Good times.

Head coach is from South Florida...HOLLYWOOD...so alot of their kids have interest with the canes from JUMP. See..Marquis Williams.

I guess you played at Everglades. Mike Palmieri coached there and elsewhere in Broward for a long time, played at South Broward. We should have been exploiting that south Florida connection before this.

I've got to feel good about our chances.

Advertisement
I mean, he's listed at 6'6", but is it legit? If he's really only 6'4 and 3/4ths, is that too tall to play DT? Does that change how you view his highlights? Does an inch and a quarter make him more likely to be successful or not as a DT?

What if he's 6'6", but his neck is really long, making his center of gravity an inch or two lower? Or he has shorter arms and legs, so when he's in a stance, it's like he's only 6'2"? Let's really dig into this and see if we can really figure out where the inch or two matters or not. In the name of science, of course.

Last edited:
I mean, he's listed at 6'6", but is it legit? If he's really only 6'4 and 3/4ths, is that too tall to play DT? Does that change how you view his highlights? Does an inch and a quarter make him more likely to be successful or not as a DT?

What if he's 6'6", but his neck is really long, making his center of gravity an inch or two lower? Or he has shorter arms and legs, so when he's in a stance, it's like he's only 6'2"? Let's really dig into this and see if we can really figure out where the inch or two matters or not. In the name of science, of course.

Challenge accepted. Go go gadget.... recruiting analyst? Sports science.

Challenge accepted. Go go gadget.... recruiting analyst? Sports science.

They've got stats for just about everything else, why not go all the way and be thorough. Get Espn's sports science on the case. One mans 6'6" might not be the same as another mans 6'6".

An inch and a quarter is a huge difference if we're talking cranks. But DT....not so much.

Advertisement
Back