Jordan Davis DT

Advertisement
I mean, he's listed at 6'6", but is it legit? If he's really only 6'4 and 3/4ths, is that too tall to play DT? Does that change how you view his highlights? Does an inch and a quarter make him more likely to be successful or not as a DT?

What if he's 6'6", but his neck is really long, making his center of gravity an inch or two lower? Or he has shorter arms and legs, so when he's in a stance, it's like he's only 6'2"? Let's really dig into this and see if we can really figure out where the inch or two matters or not. In the name of science, of course.

An inch and a quarter is a huge difference if we're talking cranks. But DT....not so much.

See, now that's something else to consider. Does a larger crank size lower the center of gravity on a DT, thus giving him more power and leverage? Are we talking four point stance but with only one hand on the ground? Is that good or bad?

But seriously, I don't believe in absolutes. Whether or not anyone else has successfully played DT at 6'6" or taller, doesn't affect whether this kid can. Can he stay low and get under guys or does he play high and get bowled over. I've seen 6'2" guys who play too tall at DT and get driven to the ground. Like a bunch of people have already said, I'll trust Coach Kool and ride with anyone he wants. Kool's earned that as far as I'm concerned, and his boss seems to feel the same way.

Trust when I tell you these DL kids are noticing what's what. Our DL was constantly in the backfield all season no matter who was brought on to the field. Kids want to play in this type of system. We have a two headed defensive monster in Diaz and Kool who both teach violence. I think we get this kid. DL kids know Kool is going to have them getting drafted.

Show me the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, he's listed at 6'6", but is it legit? If he's really only 6'4 and 3/4ths, is that too tall to play DT? Does that change how you view his highlights? Does an inch and a quarter make him more likely to be successful or not as a DT?

What if he's 6'6", but his neck is really long, making his center of gravity an inch or two lower? Or he has shorter arms and legs, so when he's in a stance, it's like he's only 6'2"? Let's really dig into this and see if we can really figure out where the inch or two matters or not. In the name of science, of course.

An inch and a quarter is a huge difference if we're talking cranks. But DT....not so much.

See, now that's something else to consider. Does a larger crank size lower the center of gravity on a DT, thus giving him more power and leverage? Are we talking four point stance but with only one hand on the ground? Is that good or bad?

But seriously, I don't believe in absolutes. Whether or not anyone else has successfully played DT at 6'6" or taller, doesn't affect whether this kid can. Can he stay low and get under guys or does he play high and get bowled over. I've seen 6'2" guys who play too tall at DT and get driven to the ground. Like a bunch of people have already said, I'll trust Coach Kool and ride with anyone he wants. Kool's earned that as far as I'm concerned, and his boss seems to feel the same way.

Exactly. He's probably 2-3 inches taller than ideal height for a DT. But if he can stay low, that 2-3 inches is irrelevant.

Advertisement
Back