Jonathon Denis in portal (Transfers to Miami)

All good, amigo.

Q:

Has there ever been a reporter that covered UM that the message boards didn't attack? Even one? They all get killed eventually. Susan, Gary, Matt, Petey, Gaby, Lake, everyone. It's 100% kill rate for anyone who actually sticks around. We turn on them all.

Everyone picks on these writers, and I get it, it's human nature and the internet these days, and there is absolutely some (maybe a LOT!) fair criticism warranted, but they basically have an impossible job to me.

First of all, even if they are legit sixth sense mind-readers, these 17-year old kids are being sold by some of the greatest salesmen in the world, and change their minds about 90 different things 100x a day. Those are your sources. Kids, and worse. Handlers, HS coaches, uncles with their hands out. Everyone is corrupted and self-interested. So even if you're RIGHT and ACCURATE, whatever you were right about you are probably going to be wrong about tomorrow. And get killed for it. So yeah, they are all probably shell-shocked and conditioned to hedge. And why would they not? I sure would. Then consider the small salaries and tiny budgets and resources they have to try to get this done.

Then think about this... these guys don't have a "college football" or "sports" or "politics" beat. They literally are limited to covering one amateur college sports team that plays a total of 12-14 days a year. They have to generate multiple pieces of content every day, literally 1000+ articles a year, while being limited to this one little subject. So yeah, of course there is going to be a lot of silly and speculative content. Because they have to come up with something every few hours practically... or we complain.

And they all have to deal with animals like us having access to them every day? Being able to question them, criticize them, demand answers, etc. LOL. No thanks.

Look at this site. They've been trying to years to generate significant content, and have failed over and over. It's REALLY hard without a network and budget behind you. So they've pivoted to leaning on the message boards for free content, which makes sense.

Imma gonna pour one out for the net and paper boys and gals right now. They try. Even though it's a suicide mission. Saluté! :)

gladiator GIF
To be fair, this is how it goes with most fanbases but most other fan bases are probably bating 70% as there's usually 3 or 4 local writers/contributors that seem to have won over their hearts and minds.

But CIS? As close to 100% kill rate as can possibly be expected. Headshot after headshot after headshot. Blu is the lone survivor.

boom headshot GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
All good, amigo.

Q:

Has there ever been a reporter that covered UM that the message boards didn't attack? Even one? They all get killed eventually. Susan, Gary, Matt, Petey, Gaby, Lake, everyone. It's 100% kill rate for anyone who actually sticks around. We turn on them all.

Everyone picks on these writers, and I get it, it's human nature and the internet these days, and there is absolutely some (maybe a LOT!) fair criticism warranted, but they basically have an impossible job to me.

First of all, even if they are legit sixth sense mind-readers, these 17-year old kids are being sold by some of the greatest salesmen in the world, and change their minds about 90 different things 100x a day. Those are your sources. Kids, and worse. Handlers, HS coaches, uncles with their hands out. Everyone is corrupted and self-interested. So even if you're RIGHT and ACCURATE, whatever you were right about you are probably going to be wrong about tomorrow. And get killed for it. So yeah, they are all probably shell-shocked and conditioned to hedge. And why would they not? I sure would. Then consider the small salaries and tiny budgets and resources they have to try to get this done.

Then think about this... these guys don't have a "college football" or "sports" or "politics" beat. They literally are limited to covering one amateur college sports team that plays a total of 12-14 days a year. They have to generate multiple pieces of content every day, literally 1000+ articles a year, while being limited to this one little subject. So yeah, of course there is going to be a lot of silly and speculative content. Because they have to come up with something every few hours practically... or we complain.

And they all have to deal with animals like us having access to them every day? Being able to question them, criticize them, demand answers, etc. LOL. No thanks.

Look at this site. They've been trying to years to generate significant content, and have failed over and over. It's REALLY hard without a network and budget behind you. So they've pivoted to leaning on the message boards for free content, which makes sense.

Imma gonna pour one out for the net and paper boys and gals right now. They try. Even though it's a suicide mission. Saluté! :)

gladiator GIF

At what position?. Center?. If so he has played the same amount of snaps as Rodriguez and Big Baby.

Again i think we need tackle bodies that are ready to play.
I mean you are correct…. But, where are the Tackles OL ready to play?! The OL has been so Bad that all positions along the line need an influx of talent. If for nothing else just to raise the comp factor. You’re correct in that the Tackle spot has less size and talent bodies on the team compared to Guards and Centers. We’re just not in a position to pass on Denis right now IMO.

Advertisement
Wait so let me get this straight. Mario and Miribal 2 experts at the OL position want a kid they have seen for almost 2 years yet the CIS coaches don't think he's worth it?

fed up no GIF by Collider
I believe you’re correct in your assessment. But I think the question is are they gonna take him because he’s a great guard, or are they thinking about taking Dennis because our line is so bad or not deep enough. In other words, a good piece to add instead of an all conference player.

We’ve had players start for multiple years in the trenches here that would never even be recruited by the top teams. There is a reason why tamu is paying trench bullies.

Don't get me wrong, I’m hoping the dude comes here and is a stud. But we need a complete overhaul on the type of dudes we’ve been landing in the trenches.

Very wise post. These are difficult beats.
We’re spoiled. If you think about it, we are in a golden age of cfb civerage. There’s CIS and other sites and the legacy newspapers. We have YouTube experts breaking down offenses and defenses and the film of individual players. HS recruiting videos are widely available. We have informative podcasts. Recruiting rankings are much better these days.

Of course, we should all take a grain of salt when reading coverage. And yes, there are some mediocre reporters out there. But decades ago my only link to Canes’ football was the occasional Miami Herald that would find its way up North.

I believe you’re correct in your assessment. But I think the question is are they gonna take him because he’s a great guard, or are they thinking about taking Dennis because our line is so bad or not deep enough. In other words, a good piece to add instead of an all conference player.

We’ve had players start for multiple years in the trenches here that would never even be recruited by the top teams. There is a reason why tamu is paying trench bullies.

Don't get me wrong, I’m hoping the dude comes here and is a stud. But we need a complete overhaul on the type of dudes we’ve been landing in the trenches.
I think it might be a little bit of both. I think he could be a good player but also I think they’ve seen what we have and aren’t happy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All good, amigo.

Q:

gladiator GIF
That’s one **** of a long question……

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back