John Ruiz on Paul Finebaum show today

I’m not saying they are right, but the counter argument is the same. “Let’s not pretend LifeWallet is not PaytoPlay.” In the end, I could see them going after LifeWallet because they don’t want ExxonMobile paying players. The church ladies with the coin jars? “You just spend what you want on your grandson ma’am.”
I’m not naive to think the function of this is not pay to play. Unfortunately for these schools and the NCAA, the form and structure of it is correct. I hear what you are saying about Exxon, but there were no issues with Dr Pepper paying Clemson’s QB.

The reality is despite the sport’s popularity football players have never been the marketing machine of basketball or even baseball players. And after that Dr Pepper deal, you haven’t seen many another large, multinational companies lining up national marketing deals for largely unproven players. Think about how many preseason Heisman candidates go to ****. It was probably a terrible ROI, especially given his performance.

I think there is a very finite number of companies that will be able to do what LifeWallet is doing. You need the CEO to have sufficient control, that person needs to be passionate about the program, and the company needs to be big enough/donor wealthy enough. Miami really fell *** backwards into the perfect unicorn of a situation.

Advertisement
thrash metal GIF
RIp Cliff

Paul probably just lost a few thousand listeners cause I can guarantee you they were lost as **** after listening to Ruiz. He’s too smart for Paul’s listeners. It’s also amazing how they wanted to stir the pot with Ruiz and it backfired. This would be a non issue if it was Bama booster!
Next call was probably that drunken Alabama fan who's always 10 beers in at 3 in the afternoon complaining about those **** yankees.

Finebum seemed a bit hesitant and unsure of himself. I loved every second of it! And I totally agree it was a free 15 minute ad for Ruiz and he took full advantage of it.
I get the impression Finebaum was expecting to have something he could attack and counter Ruiz's views, but he was never able to formulate that argument given Ruiz's clear and logical discussion. He looked befuddled that he couldn't go into his usual attack mode because there was nothing he could legitimately attack.

Advertisement
First thought: Finebaum was fine in this interview. He knows the genie is out of the bottle. Its a new market structure forming. Everyone figuring out how to play the new game.

Second thought: John Ruiz is not a lawyer doing business deals. He is a business man who happens to be a lawyer.

Related note, May 18th is the special meeting to approve Lionheart and MSP merger.

Last edited:
listened to a podcast and stew mandel thinks the NCAA will target john ruiz first. bruce feldman put his money on them targeting tennessee. i’m interested to see which one they go after collective or business.

It will be Stewie Mandel's wettest of wet dreams if the NCAA targets Miami. It's what that slathering pvssy absolutely lives for. If I could punch one member of the media in the mouth, it'd be that soaking ****.

First thought Finebaum was fine in this interview. He knows the genie is out of the bottle. Its a new market structure forming. Everyone figuring out how to play the new game.

Second thought. John Ruiz is not a lawyer doing business deals. He is a business man who happens to be a lawyer.

Related note, May 18th is the special meeting to approve Lionheart and MSP merger.
With the legal brain trust the NCAA can employ, we'll see how sound Ruiz's "lawyering" is. Can't underestimate the hate for Miami that is out there!

Hope the players are getting paid NOW before the future has a chance to turn murky.

The NCAA CAN'T STOP businesses from paying players.

All their "influence" is over the University. And they have to tread lightly there because a lot of big schools aren't happy with the NCAA and are already proposing self-governing.

Right now the NCAA will do the bidding of Nick Saban because he owns the SEC basically.. But if the NCAA harasses one conference unfairly from "the alliance (Big10, Pac12, ACC)" then they could risk starting to see those conferences join the calls of just leaving the NCAA altogether.

Bottom line is the NCAA will look for a consensus from the major/member institutions and follow what they tell them. They're not going to go "rogue" here because they're already a weak organization.

I'm glad we have Jim Phillips and Radakovich on our side. Can't imagine Blake James trying to defend us/pressure the NCAA under these circumstances. We'd definitely be the sacrificial lamb thrown to the wolves if he were still here.

Advertisement
With the legal brain trust the NCAA can employ, we'll see how sound Ruiz's "lawyering" is. Can't underestimate the hate for Miami that is out there!

Hope the players are getting paid NOW before the future has a chance to turn murky.
So your position is the NCAA will have access to better lawyers than billionaires around the country?

I never really listened to Paul before, but he is a terrible speaker. Is this new with his age? Dude is mumbling and switching topics in the middle of the sentence nonstop.
Naw, that's just him in his natural state; not knowing what to say when he isn't giving slobbery felatio to Nick Saban or if he's speaking to someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

Advertisement
I get the impression Finebaum was expecting to have something he could attack and counter Ruiz's views, but he was never able to formulate that argument given Ruiz's clear and logical discussion. He looked befuddled that he couldn't go into his usual attack mode because there was nothing he could legitimately attack.
You need an IQ over 50 to develop a counter-argument.

Advertisement
Agree 100%. The little runt had no counter. He knew **** well Ruiz was right and I don’t think he wanted to go down the rabbit hole of his SEC paying players for years under the table.

So your position is the NCAA will have access to better lawyers than billionaires around the country?
Probably better legal minds than Ruiz's. So far, he seems to be his own counsel.

As someone else said, though, he's a businessman first, who happens to also be a lawyer. Whether his legal education/smarts are superior to those on whatever law team the NCAA might put together, I guess we'll find out. Best case is the NCAA sees the writing on the wall and drops challenges. Somehow, that seems unlikely.

After a while those hillbillies are going to be asking more about what is a Life Wallet and saying **** thats cool i get to keep all my health info on my phone. Win Win for Ruiz tha gawd
LifeWallet doesn't have the bandwidth capacity to electronically house all of the diabeetus related medical records that accompany that crowd!

Advertisement
Back