Joe Yearby

This is a complete MIRACLE with Gall on that line. Miami could've done better 4 on 5, as Gall often tackled Yearby himself in the backfield via being pushed onto his ***.

I'm hoping Gall is asked to move on, I thought this kid was going to be good, man was I wrong. I realize the scheme didn't help, but he's not a very good football player.

Advertisement
Not only was he faster, but he was far quicker. His cut game was elite before he bloated up.

i agree 100%

Yearby only had 86 carries last year, mostly against bad teams. He needed the extra weight to survive this year's workload.

Unlike James Jackson, who really bulked up too much, Yearby was never a gamebreaker. He still kept much of his quickness, which is why he ran for 1,000 yards as a small, slow guy behind a bad OL.

he had longer runs last year. i didnt say he cant put weight on but it wasnt done right. he looks stiff. duke put weight on but looked better. something didnt work for yearby.

This is a complete MIRACLE with Gall on that line. Miami could've done better 4 on 5, as Gall often tackled Yearby himself in the backfield via being pushed onto his ***.

I'm hoping Gall is asked to move on, I thought this kid was going to be good, man was I wrong. I realize the scheme didn't help, but he's not a very good football player.

Hate to say that but he did play terrible this year, golden insisted on playing him too. Instead he played mind games with McDermott and didn't start him

Not only was he faster, but he was far quicker. His cut game was elite before he bloated up.

i agree 100%

Yearby only had 86 carries last year, mostly against bad teams. He needed the extra weight to survive this year's workload.

Unlike James Jackson, who really bulked up too much, Yearby was never a gamebreaker. He still kept much of his quickness, which is why he ran for 1,000 yards as a small, slow guy behind a bad OL.

he had longer runs last year. i didnt say he cant put weight on but it wasnt done right. he looks stiff. duke put weight on but looked better. something didnt work for yearby.

Hate to say that but he did play terrible this year, golden insisted on playing him too. Instead he played mind games with McDermott and didn't start him

golden's mind games were a cover. honestly, i always felt he started kaaya over williams because he wanted the excuse of a freshman qb. golden is a sick man. he is more concerned about strategizing excuses than strategizing victory.

i agree 100%

i agree 100%

golden's mind games were a cover. honestly, i always felt he started kaaya over williams because he wanted the excuse of a freshman qb. golden is a sick man. he is more concerned about strategizing excuses than strategizing victory.

Yep he tried to gain a bunch of commute in each of the swag 16, squad 17, storm 18 so he can use that as a reason to not fire him. Seems like we turned out pretty good and will add on to those even more

Advertisement
Joe Yearby, played under a crappy system, with a crappy o-line, and crappy rotational method used by a biased position coach; yet he puts 1g on the board.

As Canes fans, some of us really don't appreciate what we have; we're constantly comparing our players to the ones that got away. Is he better than Cook? Well, I know for one thing, one is coming off a horrific leg injury playing for a laugh factory of a coaching staff with a bunch of Coal Shovelers blocking for him, and the other has been healthy playing under a legit coaching staff w 5/4* talent dripping all around him.

Yearby has been hella solid for us this year, DESPITE the circumstances around him. I do give the nod to Cook in many aspects w that burst, but Yearby broke so many tackles, created so much space b/c of his elite quickness and wiggle, and catches the ball like a WR. He would get hot, then, boom, Lice would put in Walton for extended plays and all of sudden it's "where's Yearby?" We look at his final stat line, and then it's "anyone who said Yearby is better than Cook is an idiot." But do we really look at his stat line? Kid would have 67yrds on 10 carries, just to finish with 81 yrds on 14 carries? How? B/c of the f'n coaching staff.

Ultra long delayed handoffs on 3rd and forever. Dive up the middle on 2nd and 10's. Extended handoff on 1st and 25. I mean u can't make this type of play calling up; yet he still put up a G on limited carries. Honestly, based upon what he had working against him and the lack of resources protecting him or opening up lanes, this is probably one of the most impressive 1g I've seen a RB put up; that's not being a homer, that's being s fan of the game.

Cook has been healthy?

Cook is easily a better talent and a better RB.

it's people like u that make me wonder are u a football fan or just a star fan. Try to keep up, I said Cook was the better back, but I can promise u that if the roles were reversed, Cook would have some success here and Yearby would have much more success there than here. That's a fact, and if you don't understand that scheme and the talent you play with don't have a barren on production, then bruh, your sense aint' common. Maybe ur still feeling woozy from all those sacks you took last night, Mr. Rodgers (coming from a delighted Bears fan)

i agree 100%

Wasn't Williams hurt? Then it was gonna be Olsen. After that it was either kaaya or heaps, or am I missing something?

Joe Yearby, played under a crappy system, with a crappy o-line, and crappy rotational method used by a biased position coach; yet he puts 1g on the board.

As Canes fans, some of us really don't appreciate what we have; we're constantly comparing our players to the ones that got away. Is he better than Cook? Well, I know for one thing, one is coming off a horrific leg injury playing for a laugh factory of a coaching staff with a bunch of Coal Shovelers blocking for him, and the other has been healthy playing under a legit coaching staff w 5/4* talent dripping all around him.

Yearby has been hella solid for us this year, DESPITE the circumstances around him. I do give the nod to Cook in many aspects w that burst, but Yearby broke so many tackles, created so much space b/c of his elite quickness and wiggle, and catches the ball like a WR. He would get hot, then, boom, Lice would put in Walton for extended plays and all of sudden it's "where's Yearby?" We look at his final stat line, and then it's "anyone who said Yearby is better than Cook is an idiot." But do we really look at his stat line? Kid would have 67yrds on 10 carries, just to finish with 81 yrds on 14 carries? How? B/c of the f'n coaching staff.

Ultra long delayed handoffs on 3rd and forever. Dive up the middle on 2nd and 10's. Extended handoff on 1st and 25. I mean u can't make this type of play calling up; yet he still put up a G on limited carries. Honestly, based upon what he had working against him and the lack of resources protecting him or opening up lanes, this is probably one of the most impressive 1g I've seen a RB put up; that's not being a homer, that's being s fan of the game.

Cook has been healthy?

it's people like u that make me wonder are u a football fan or just a star fan. Try to keep up, I said Cook was the better back, but I can promise u that if the roles were reversed, Cook would have some success here and Yearby would have much more success there than here. That's a fact, and if you don't understand that scheme and the talent you play with don't have a barren on production, then bruh, your sense aint' common. Maybe ur still feeling woozy from all those sacks you took last night, Mr. Rodgers (coming from a delighted Bears fan)

You seem to think I said a lot of things I didn't say. You, like most others here, just simply aren't worth the effort.

Advertisement
The OLine was obviously horrendous is pass protection but I don't think they were nearly as bad in the run game.

A good RB would've made them look a lot better.

I can see an argument about if he's elite, but now he's not even good?

He's an average starting University of Miami running back, maybe even below average. He's a solid player but he's not going to win you games.
I think the point is that we don't know what he can do. We don't know what any of these kids are capable of because the coaching has been so bad, and in the case of the skill players this year, the O line hasn't helped anyone out.

The OLine was obviously horrendous is pass protection but I don't think they were nearly as bad in the run game.

He's an average starting University of Miami running back, maybe even below average. He's a solid player but he's not going to win you games.
I think the point is that we don't know what he can do. We don't know what any of these kids are capable of because the coaching has been so bad, and in the case of the skill players this year, the O line hasn't helped anyone out.

I agree that we generally don't know what these kids are capable of because the coaching has been so bad but I'm not sure that really applies to Running Backs. Either you are fast, or big, or quick, etc., or you aren't. No amount of coaching is going to change Yearby's physical traits. Which is why I think he has relatively low ceiling, he's just limited.

Cook has been healthy?

LOL, you didn't answer his question. Was Cook healthy??? And as he stated, Cook is just clearly the better back.

Advertisement

I agree that we generally don't know what these kids are capable of because the coaching has been so bad but I'm not sure that really applies to Running Backs. Either you are fast, or big, or quick, etc., or you aren't. No amount of coaching is going to change Yearby's physical traits. Which is why I think he has relatively low ceiling, he's just limited.

I'll take the "limited" back who can rush for 1k yards behind this OL, while splitting carries, and with Coley calling plays. I just think it's splitting hairs at this point to argue about Yearby not being elite or if Kaaya has the killer instinct. Let's fix the big stuff first, then we can talk about this.

N

Cook has been healthy?

LOL, you didn't answer his question. Was Cook healthy??? And as he stated, Cook is just clearly the better back.

Let's see, BROKEN LEG, our minor hammy? U decide. And where did I say Yearby was the better of the two?

Hopefully he drops 10-15 pounds this off season so he can get some speed back. His belly was starting to poke threw his jersey at the bowl game.

Advertisement
N

Cook has been healthy?

Let's see, BROKEN LEG, our minor hammy? U decide. And where did I say Yearby was the better of the two?

You did the texas 2 step around the question. Regardless of which team they are playing for, Cook is the better back and it isn't a debate.

Ottis Anderson
Danyell Ferguson
Edgerrin James
James Jackson
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby

Pretty good company

Thanks for the list. Was just about o look up.

Theres 10 though right? Who's missing?

Did javarris James get to 1k? Or Cooper?

Without checking, maybe Chuck Forman?

I don't think Chuck Foreman ever got to 1000....without looking it up. He was misused part of his career, as I recall. I think they used to put him at flanker a lot. His talent was never fully utilized until he got to the Vikings, where he became elite. He was a joy to watch when the Vikings were broadcast in my home area.

One of the very best backs ever to play at UM. Had some Gale Sayers type moves, but not the speed. He had an incredible spin move that just left defenders frozen. I don't see many backs do that anymore. The game has changed. Great blocker and receiver, as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back