Joe Rose Raises Warning Flag!

Earnest T. Bass

Sophomore
Today, and for what it’s worth, Joe Rose said that he’s worried about the Canes upcoming game with Georgia Tech for more than a few reasons.

He pointed out the normal fall off teams have after a big win, especially one when it’s against your biggest rival at their place after having not beaten them for 7 straight years. This fall off is exacerbated by so many well meaning family, friends and fans offering effusive praise, thus focus and desire can be negatively impacted.

Additionally, Georgia Tech’s abilities are under appreciated and they are better than advertised. Of course, the additional week of preparation and healing for Georgia Tech is of great benefit to them.

As a final point, Rose indicated that Georgia Tech TRULY believes they can win the game and TRULY believe they should win the Coastal Division.

To be sure, I am not running around with my hair on fire bellowing that the sky is falling. But, as we all know, over the last many years after our annual war with FSU we have seen a significant deterioration in the quality of play by the Canes for at least several of the following games.

I know the coaches are fully aware of the aforementioned and will be hammering those points home during this week of preparation. The real test will be…is this Canes team different than those in the recent past and do they have the ability to not just give lip service as to how seriously they are taking the opponent, but do they immediately shift their focus to the next challenge on their schedule?

If the answer is YES…then we are most probably looking at a very special season.

Advertisement
This game will show us what type of coaching staff we have. I believe Richt will have the team ready.

Plus when they watched the film, they were brought back to reality. The entire offense was horrible for half the game, the LBS were MIA for most of it and the DBs came close to costing us the game with a blown coverage. We won, we did not play well.

..if it was another coach other than Richt I may be worried. But Richt has faced them every year he coached at GA and during his first year here at Miami..... ain't worried.

Advertisement
In the past several years, there was a huge emotional letdown after every FSU loss, and the team would go into a tailspin.

This time there’s a sense of a huge emotional relief, not disappointment. Yet, as mentioned, this can have a different effect, but one that can be just as damaging for the next game.

Bottom line is this: the entire team has to pivot starting TODAY - there was no practice yesterday. I expect there will be a reading of the riot act today to snap the players back to reality, which is this: they better fūcking prepare like beasts and work their asses off and forget all the praise, or they won’t be ready...and for Tech, you better be ready. They’re rested and well prepared

We should win. Our defense will rise to the occasion and tech will not be able to control game with their running attack.

Advertisement
I'm sure the coaches will have them prepared. This is a pivotal game for us and GT. It comes down to execution by the players. Coaches will have them ready.

Side note: if you listen to Chad Thomas post game interview he mentions that the team has to get back to it and focus on GT. These dudes know the stakes. I consider Chad a leader.. he's not gonna let his boys slip up.

LoL, if Al Golden was 4-1 versus Paul Johnson, then I wouldn't sound the alarm bells. Richt's record against Georgia Tech is terrific.

How would Joe Rose know that Georgia Tech believes it should truly win the Coastal? Is he talking with Paul Johnson?

Miami is 1-3 in its last 4 years coming off a loss against FSU. Much better position to be in won't you saying coming off a huge road win?

Miami has to fix some things. The Flexbone is a difficult offense to prepare for but let's be honest here. The best team Georgia Tech has beaten is Jacksonville State which is an FCS power. North Carolina and Pitt are awful this year.

More concerned about the injuries to Redwine and Donaldson right now. We already know Walton's status.

Last edited:
If we are worrying about Georgia Tech then we are not back.

The team better **** well be worried about Tech, or they’ll get run over.

If they approach the game with your attitude, they’ll lose.

Fortunately, whether a fan worries or not has no impact on the game and no impact on whether we're back or not.

Advertisement
LoL, if Al Golden was 4-1 versus Paul Johnson, then I wouldn't sound the alarm bells. Richt's record against Georgia Tech is terrific.

How would Joe Rose know that Georgia Tech believes it should truly win the Coastal? Is he talking with Paul Johnson?

Partner, I simply repeated what Joe Rose said. You can chose to believe him, not believe him or call him and demand how he knows what Georgia Tech is thinking.

Totally agree with Joe and disagree with the youngsters here who believe we roll. Our defense has given up a lot of yardage so far this season. The problem with GT is that they control the ball for 7-10 minutes per drive. We won last year because of 2 quick scores. This will be a nail biter and the most difficult game of the regular season in my opinion. The offense is going to have score. GO CANES

This is the same GT team that lost to Tennessee. Pitt and UNC are among the bottom tier of the conference this year. These guys haven't really played anyone.

Advertisement
Totally agree with Joe and disagree with the youngsters here who believe we roll. Our defense has given up a lot of yardage so far this season. The problem with GT is that they control the ball for 7-10 minutes per drive. We won last year because of 2 quick scores. This will be a nail biter and the most difficult game of the regular season in my opinion. The offense is going to have score. GO CANES

Harder than VT? You are high.

GT has played some really bad teams. This will be a major step up in competition for them. UM just needs to win the turnover battle and they should win by 10.

I hope this isn't like VT in '05. We weren't expected to beat them, we did. Our next game, you guessed it, GT and we lost.

I believe we'll win, but that's why they play the game.

Advertisement
Back