Jimmy Johnson - We Want "Smart" Players

Advertisement
Academic smart and street smart are as different as Academic smart and football smart. Sure, sometimes there's crossover, but JJ really stressed football smart or football IQ
Tyler Van Dyke? Really.

Reeding Jimmy Johnson's book Swagger, he rights about the importance of recruiting smart playas (he's been saying it for decades, but siting a book implies that i can read and right and that makes me looker more smarter). UM just reported that 12 playas made the ALL-ACC Academic Team. Too of the yutes have very bright futures hear.

Bissainthe and Cooper. Glad to sea they made the list. The list is below.

Mitchell Agude (sport administration), Wesley Bissainthe (sport administration), Anez Cooper (liberal arts), Lou Hedley (liberal studies), Clay James (liberal studies), Caleb Johnson (sport administration), Frank Ladson (liberal studies), Jake Lichtenstein (liberal studies), Will Mallory (applied physiology), Michael Redding III (psychology), Jalen Rivers (sport administration) and Tyler Van **** (real estate) were among those student-athletes recognized with academic honors from the conference.

Tyler Van Dyke can't even enjoy his last name on CIS 🤣🤣🤣

I would make the argument that the best players not only have the obvious physical abilities and talents, but they have football “smarts“. And can process information quickly on the field. I’m sure that’s what he means by smarts.
I just never trust on camera **** or quotes cause people be cappin. I remember a news station interviewed me trying to tell me what to say like rehearsing ****. I'm like nah imma say what I want and they moved on.

Advertisement
Academic smart and street smart are as different as Academic smart and football smart. Sure, sometimes there's crossover, but JJ really stressed football smart or football IQ
Tyler Van Dyke? Really.
i thought jimmy only meant academic smarts thanks for the clarification.

Smart in sports processing speed. sports decisions are made in less than a second. so someone who can sit down and preserve and complete a 3 hour math problem is very smart, but that would provide no usefulness in sports. But someone who can process basic info in half a second Is “sports smart”.
whether he can do calculus or not.
‘I hate to keep picking on him , especially since he is gone, but DJ Ivey was the poster child to me of a smart person who did not process information quick enough to be as successful in sports as his physical abilities would lead someone to believe. He probably looked great in practice when he could focus on one decision. but when there were too many variables he could not keep up. A smart person but not a smart football player Because of his processing speed.

Advertisement
Yes, you want guys that not only have physical talent, but actually have the intelligence to process information quickly. Guys that can grasp a concept quickly are preferable to the kind of guy that takes forever to get it. People fall in love with 40 times, but an intelligent player can end up being more productive, despite maybe being two tenths slower, because they can diagnose a play and get there before the uber athlete even figures out what's going on. A classic example of this would be Sean Spence. Sean wasn't some blazer, he wasn't yoked, but dude was always around the ball, he would figure out what was going on before the ball was even snapped. Back when I was in grad school, the girls that lived in the opposite side of the duplex dated a guy in the program and he used to sit out on my patio and shoot the breeze late night every once in awhile(Cool as a fan, he never became what he was supposed to be as a player, but found success in another field). The craziest story he ever told me was when Sean managed to call **** near every single play against PItt. He was able to basically predict every play for an entire game, the scary part was that this was a regular occurrence.

When you get a guy that has that ability, AND is a physical marvel, that's when you get Sean Taylor. That said, if it comes down to a **** good athlete with above average mentals, or elite athlete with mediocre mentals, I'll take **** good athlete all day.

Smart in sports processing speed. sports decisions are made in less than a second. so someone who can sit down and preserve and complete a 3 hour math problem is very smart, but that would provide no usefulness in sports. But someone who can process basic info in half a second Is “sports smart”.
whether he can do calculus or not.
‘I hate to keep picking on him , especially since he is gone, but DJ Ivey was the poster child to me of a smart person who did not process information quick enough to be as successful in sports as his physical abilities would lead someone to believe. He probably looked great in practice when he could focus on one decision. but when there were too many variables he could not keep up. A smart person but not a smart football player Because of his processing speed.

Yes, you want guys that not only have physical talent, but actually have the intelligence to process information quickly. Guys that can grasp a concept quickly are preferable to the kind of guy that takes forever to get it. People fall in love with 40 times, but an intelligent player can end up being more productive, despite maybe being two tenths slower, because they can diagnose a play and get there before the uber athlete even figures out what's going on. A classic example of this would be Sean Spence. Sean wasn't some blazer, he wasn't yoked, but dude was always around the ball, he would figure out what was going on before the ball was even snapped. Back when I was in grad school, the girls that lived in the opposite side of the duplex dated a guy in the program and he used to sit out on my patio and shoot the breeze late night every once in awhile(Cool as a fan, he never became what he was supposed to be as a player, but found success in another field). The craziest story he ever told me was when Sean managed to call **** near every single play against PItt. He was able to basically predict every play for an entire game, the scary part was that this was a regular occurrence.

When you get a guy that has that ability, AND is a physical marvel, that's when you get Sean Taylor. That said, if it comes down to a **** good athlete with above average mentals, or elite athlete with mediocre mentals, I'll take **** good athlete all day.

Here’s a perfect example to both of these excellent explanations: Ed Reed.

Especially in his position. He usually had purview of the entire field. Split second analysis and decision, with a lightning fast response to his analysis. He wasn’t the fastest or the strongest, but his processing speed was elite, whether he was taking an angle, deciding which way to cut, whether to go forward or backwards, whether to keep his eye on the quarterback or the receiver, etc.… You know what I mean.

Advertisement
Here’s a perfect example to both of these excellent explanations: Ed Reed.

Especially in his position. Split second analysis and decision, with a lightning fast response to his analysis. He wasn’t the fastest or the strongest, but his processing speed was elite, whether he was taking an angle, deciding which way to cut, whether to go forward or backwards, whether to keep his eye on the quarterback or the receiver, etc.… You know what I mean.
During Butch's tenure as HC at UM...The football team (as a whole) had the highest GPA till this day.

Reeding Jimmy Johnson's book Swagger, he rights about the importance of recruiting smart playas (he's been saying it for decades, but siting a book implies that i can read and right and that makes me looker more smarter). UM just reported that 12 playas made the ALL-ACC Academic Team. Too of the yutes have very bright futures hear.

Bissainthe and Cooper. Glad to sea they made the list. The list is below.

Mitchell Agude (sport administration), Wesley Bissainthe (sport administration), Anez Cooper (liberal arts), Lou Hedley (liberal studies), Clay James (liberal studies), Caleb Johnson (sport administration), Frank Ladson (liberal studies), Jake Lichtenstein (liberal studies), Will Mallory (applied physiology), Michael Redding III (psychology), Jalen Rivers (sport administration) and Tyler Van **** (real estate) were among those student-athletes recognized with academic honors from the conference.

After stumbling through the first sentence I could not recover enough to finish reading OP’s post. Perhaps it was good content but I’m gonna need someone to recap for me.

Advertisement
We gona talk about only one taking a degree worth a squirt of ****? Applied Physiology with Malory?

NO STEM degrees, only...Sports Admin? Psychology.

Those degrees are cakewalks.

Good people comes from the university of Arkansas. Butch DAVIS JIMMY JOHNSON. As players, steve Atwater, Barry foster and list goes on. Gerry Jones. A control freak. He's cursed.

Advertisement
Back