Jimmies and Joes

Justin Timberlake What GIF

I mean, they were 12-2 and finished #4. If "broken" means you don't win a title, there are a lot of broken programs.

Advertisement
I agree, but the biggest reason that UGA and Bama and OSU are always in the playoff is because they have the best players, plain and simple
That’s the way it’s been for the past 10 years. Alabama has 6 national championships since 2009. The only thing that has remained constant on the football team is Nick Saban and the fact that they recruited number one classes most of those years. Other than that they’ve had multiple offensive and defensive coordinators and multiple position coaches. Multiple graduate assistance, multiple analysts and different systems.

But somehow all the people that have passed through there have some magic bullet at developing players.

And it’s just not true.

The only magic bullet they’ve had is recruiting elite talent at every position year after year after year.

That’s it. They’re not teaching anything different on a defensive line. They’re not teaching anything different at the receiver or db position. They’re not teaching anything different at the quarterback position. They’re making filet mignon with filet mignon and not making chicken out a chicken****.

Edit: BTW, osu is one field goes away from this thread never happening and we would be back to sheeetting all over uga.
We would’ve killed Kirby for not passing more and having crappy wide receivers.
Where tf is Rosemy?

I'm a players > coaches type guy. I think Georgia's success is a combo of factors, but far & away the biggest factor is their talent.

Kirby's 1st full recruiting class was 2017. He immediately took Georgia recruiting to a whole new level.

While going from perennial Top 5-10 in team rankings, to always in the Top 3 might not seem that much - it's actually a huge difference.

Georgia has 69 Top 100 recruits in 7 years under Kirby. They had 31 Top 100 recruits the 7 years under Richt. There's just so much more top talent.

1673367077150.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't like you enough to do this today. Whatever it takes to get you to stop responding.
Me: you're just using hyperbole
You: No I'm not
Also you: here's a link showing that I'm using hyperbole

CIS gonna CIS

I think arguments such as these can be a bit off base. A good majority of the former Miami players were recruited by the likes of Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU etc. Had they signed with a Bama or UGA instead of Miami who's to say they wouldn't have become high quality players due to receiving much better strength training, development, coaching than they've gotten at Miami. As high as GA's class has ranked the past 5 or 6 years, even they have 3 stars who have seen the field in action. **** Stetson Bennett was a 2 star walk on who left for JC and came back to UGA. You d top level talent but coaching and development definitely matters also.

Agreed and that’s why Mario needs to mail his coordinator hires. He doesn’t have the luxury of Kirby who can run his defense cause he is an elite defensive coach.

Mario is an O-line coach. Can only do so much with that. He needs a lot of help with his staff which he hasn’t gotten so far. Hopefully the nutrition and all that comes with development off the field will continue to get better as more money is pumped into the program

Their is a reason why Todd Monkey is the highest paid OC in CFB. Dude schemes it up with the best of them.

Advertisement
This is why I always say I want an OC who knows how to design and call for the available players. I am not, and will never be, wedded to a particular scheme.

It's also why I always say recruiting uber alles.
Awesome, could not agree more, this is 1 reason i will be watching Petrino is he has an ability to design a scheme based on talent,
Bobby is an Awful human being but a very good offensive mind & play caller

I'm a players > coaches type guy. I think Georgia's success is a combo of factors, but far & away the biggest factor is their talent.

Kirby's 1st full recruiting class was 2017. You can see if he immediately took Georgia recruiting to a whole new level.

While going from perennial Top 5-10 in team rankings, to always in the Top 3 might not seem that much - it's actually a huge difference.

Georgia has 69 Top 100 recruits in 7 years under Kirby. They had 31 Top 100 recruits the 7 years under Richt. There's just so much more top talent.

View attachment 223944
How did UGA beat OSU?

They didn’t just out talent OSU. That entire game was a coaching chess match.

Obviously, talent can win over most of college football but you are not winning a championship over Bama, OSU or UGA (Clemson, Tenn, LSU, Mich) by only out recruiting them.

How did UGA beat OSU?

They didn’t just out talent OSU. That entire game was a coaching chess match.

Obviously, talent can win over most of college football but you are not winning a championship over Bama, OSU or UGA (Clemson, Tenn, LSU, Mich) by only out recruiting them.
I do agree with this. Recruiting gets you to the playoffs where the other teams are also pulling top 3 classes every year. Then you need some kind of advantage - schematic, transcendental QB play, turnovers, etc.

Advertisement
UGA has a walk on, 3 star JUCO QB who’s this close to applying for AARP. Did any of ya’ll forget that?

100%. Yes you need coaches who put the studs into position to make plays, but man UGA is running basic, hat-on-hat plays and will put up 100 points on a vastly overmatched team.

Stack chips, then stack more. Not an earth-shattering post by any means but it's fascinating to see the "which is more important" argument being answered so definitively at the highest possible level of college football.
Why pray tell was Michigan who has a decided talent advantage outclassed?

This board’s binary focus on coaching vs recruiting boggles the mind. Both are required and feed into each other.

Advertisement
Since when has Monken been an “Air Raid” guy? He was the OC at the Cleveland Browns b4 coming to UGA where they RAN THE BALL. Prior to that, he was the OC for the TB Bucs where they for sure wasn’t just tossing the rock.

These guys are going back 5 jobs and 10 years ago. If a guy was in a head coach's "Air Raid offense", apparently that assistant coach is Air Raid For Life.

That’s the way it’s been for the past 10 years. Alabama has 6 national championships since 2009. The only thing that has remained constant on the football team is Nick Saban and the fact that they recruited number one classes most of those years. Other than that they’ve had multiple offensive and defensive coordinators and multiple position coaches. Multiple graduate assistance, multiple analysts and different systems.

But somehow all the people that have passed through there have some magic bullet at developing players.

And it’s just not true.

The only magic bullet they’ve had is recruiting elite talent at every position year after year after year.

That’s it. They’re not teaching anything different on a defensive line. They’re not teaching anything different at the receiver or db position. They’re not teaching anything different at the quarterback position. They’re making filet mignon with filet mignon and not making chicken out a chicken****.

Edit: BTW, osu is one field goes away from this thread never happening and we would be back to sheeetting all over uga.
We would’ve killed Kirby for not passing more and having crappy wide receivers.
Where tf is Rosemy?
They have had recruits AND good coaching AND a serious investment in player development

Advertisement
Back