Jimmies and Joes

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
100%. Yes you need coaches who put the studs into position to make plays, but man UGA is running basic, hat-on-hat plays and will put up 100 points on a vastly overmatched team.

Stack chips, then stack more. Not an earth-shattering post by any means but it's fascinating to see the "which is more important" argument being answered so definitively at the highest possible level of college football.

Advertisement
100%. Yes you need coaches who put the studs into position to make plays, but man UGA is running basic, hat-on-hat plays and will put up 100 points on a vastly overmatched team.

Stack chips, then stack more. Not an earth-shattering post by any means but it's fascinating to see the "which is more important" argument being answered so definitively at the highest possible level of college football.

While UGA does have superior talent and a massive advantage there over TCU, I think you're selling their staff a little short of their just due, imo.

Why are people acting like UGA has ****** coaching?? Georgia has elite coaches all over their staff. Of course Georgia’s talent runs circles around everyone else but let’s not act like the players are just running around doing whatever they want.

While UGA does have superior talent and a massive advantage there over TCU, I think you're selling their staff a little short of their just due, imo.
I think Josh Gattis would put up at least 35 on TCU with UGAs roster, and Monken would have maybe had us at 7-5. They have a great staff, but the difference is 5+ years of elite recruiting, particularly in the trenches.

Why are people acting like UGA has ****** coaching?? Georgia has elite coaches all over their staff. Of course Georgia’s talent runs circles around everyone else but let’s not act like the players are just running around doing whatever they want.
Hopefully Searles works his magic and makes UGA oline pedestrian haha

Advertisement
Air raid cucks are taking this beat down personally. I don’t have a (dawg) in the fight, but it’s still funny to see. I think air raid is fine. Run that if you think that’s what is best for your program.

Everyone knows 335 has trouble with 12 personnel based systems. If you argue with me, you don’t know anything and should ask to be taught something. I’m sure it works great in the Big12.

We need better dudes and we need to run whats best for the dudes we have until we get better dudes.

I think Josh Gattis would put up at least 35 on TCU with UGAs roster, and Monken would have maybe had us at 7-5. They have a great staff, but the difference is 5+ years of elite recruiting, particularly in the trenches.

You're assuming Gattis would've gotten them this far.

UGA has a strong staff to go along w/ their stout roster. Coming back even stronger this season after winning it all in '21 is a testament to good coaching.

Advertisement
I’m tired of watching these games every January thinking and wondering “if we will ever get back to this level” **** is highly depressing.

Every last one of my male friends (3) are Georgia fans. They don’t even talk **** about us anymore.

Now, 7 more months to watch football and 3-4 more recruiting classes. Seems like an eternity away and it’s not even a given we will ever get back.

Let me also clarify and say that UGA didn't just recruit bigger and stronger, they recruited smarter. And yes, they have a great staff, but it's so much easier to put together a game plan and call plays when your dudes can execute a screen or get a modicum of push on 3rd and goal.

Advertisement
Gattis got Michigan almost this far

*ducks*

Weiss_Matt_2jpg.jpg

Playoff era started in 2014.

2016 Clemson - (#9 247 composite , 4 5 stars) over Bama (#1, 17 5 stars)

2019 Clemson (#9, 7 5 stars) over Bama (#1, 11 5 stars).

2020 LSU (#6, 7 5 stars) over Clemson (#4, 11 5 stars)

3 out of 9 years. So 1/3 of time of the
considerably less talented (on paper) opponent beat the more talented opponent. 2 of these these Ws were total demolitions of the "better" opponent.

And there were "almosts" by considerably less talented teams

2015 Clemson (#13, 4 5 stars) lost 45-40 to Bama (#1, 15 5 stars)

So nearly half the time (44%)in the playoff era, a team with much less talent than the opponent beat or nearly beat the more talented opponent. 44% - so no, this is not anecdotal.

The key # seems to be 7. That's the minimum number of 5 stars to be competitive. Once you get that number, then coaching can make the difference.

I'll say it over and over again - if Miami is going to copy a blueprint, it should copy Clemsons. I don't think its realistic to expect Miami to have 17 5 stars. And no one has ever called Dabo a schematic genius. He is a CEO type coach through and through, but hit on key positions- QB and WR consistently, and had a good eye for finding underrated 3 and 4 star talent. Surprisingly, I think Cristobal is recruiting OL far better than Dabo, but he is getting spanked in the QB and WR department He needs to hire an OC that excites recruits and let's them believe they will put up video game numbers.

Last edited:

considerably less talented (on paper) opponent beat the more talented opponent. 2 of these these Ws were total demolitions of the "better" opponent.

So nearly half the time (44%)in the playoff era, a team with much less talent than the opponent beat or nearly beat the more talented opponent. 44% - so no, this is not anecdotal.

The key # seems to be 7. That's the minimum number of 5 stars to be competitive. Once you get that number, then coaching can make the difference.

Clemson recruited small classes during their run. And their classes were also very top heavy. Their third team couldn’t compete with Bama’s third team. But it didn’t need to.

Clemson was the perfect example of why Phil Steele has always given class bumps in his composite class rankings to the teams that have a large amount of high 4* and 5* guys, even if their class wasn’t as deep and therefore ranked lower in the early recruiting mags.

Advertisement
Their third team couldn’t compete with Bama’s third team.

Exactly. It required a bit of luck because they didn't have the depth, but when your 1s and 2s are nearly as good, then coaching can make a big difference (esp when it comes to coordinators). Cristobal has the ability to do the same and get UM real good on the 2 deep in 2-3 years. But he's not going to win games if he doesn't start winning the QB and WR recruiting battles. I mean - he just had a WR transfer - WHO HE RECRUITED TO Oregon- spurn him for Tennessee. How does that happen?

The thing that amazes me about UGA is how much they be gotten out of Stetson. He's doesn't have any outstanding trait, but they've got him zoned in on making the most out of every inch of his physical gifts. Hate this term, but he's a gamer. Will that translate to the next level, I'd doubt it on a surface level, but that kid is making me a believer.

Exactly. It required a bit of luck because they didn't have the depth, but when your 1s and 2s are nearly as good, then coaching can make a big difference (esp when it comes to coordinators). Cristobal has the ability to do the same and get UM real good on the 2 deep in 2-3 years. But he's not going to win games if he doesn't start winning the QB and WR recruiting battles. I mean - he just had a WR transfer - WHO HE RECRUITED TO Oregon- spurn him for Tennessee. How does that happen?
I'm legit scratching my head over it. How can it be that we can't get this particular decent WR in a year where we are demolishing the overall trail.

It makes no sense.

I'll say it over and over again - if Miami is going to copy a blueprint, it should copy Clemsons. I don't think it’s realistic to expect Miami to have 17 5 stars. And no one has ever called Dabo a schematic genius. He is a CEO type coach through and through, but hit on key positions- QB and WR consistently, and had a good eye for finding underrated 3 and 4 star talent. Surprisingly, I think Cristobal is recruiting OL far better than Dabo, but he is getting spanked in the QB and WR department He needs to hire an OC that excites recruits and let's them believe they will put up video game numbers.
All the teams u noted had generational or close to it in Watsons case at qb. It’s much harder to find that guy than to just recruit the lines of scrimmage.

And actually much safer too. With that model everything is basically on the shoulders of one guy. If he gets hurt or has a bad game you’re done. But they way OSU Bama and Uga do it you can win with an good college qb. He doesn’t have carry the team to win big.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back