2024 Jeremiah Smith 2.0 ,,, Signs with Taint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Also, forgot to respond to this part my brother:
Here’s the difference in these comparisons:

1. The initial QP was using X as a selling point for J Smith to come here. X is not a 1st round talent; if imma be honest he’s not a 2nd round talent, either. He’s a solid CFB player, who will likely get a shot at the next level. His targets + receptions ≠ scores. Berrios on less targets and receptions had an accelerated TD production, which is why he’s in the NFL (plus he was a solid PR).

2. In using Edelman and Wes, both of them throughout their careers were the benefactors of being 2nd and 3rd options, not #1. X is our #1 option.

During Edelman’s tenure, Gronk was TB12’s go-to, so the game plan was around him. I believe it was 2016 & 2018 where Gronk had some injury issues that Edelman became option 1 in the passing game & NE won it all; however, in 2016 Blount was a TD machine (which goes back to the Presley comparison for OKSt), and in 2018 it was a collaborative effort from all, including the defense.

Walker’s TDs got ate up by Moss from 2007-2009. lol. Once Moss moved on in 2010, Walker put up 32 TDs in his last 4 healthy seasons as the go to. Also, iirc Walker at TT was actually a TD magnet his last two seasons, even though he wasn’t drafted.

3. DJ Moore is a great example of a WR1. He’s playing in a **** poor scheme w/ **** poor QB play, yet he’s on pace to put up 1,500 yards & 9 TDs. That’s why I used George as our selling point b/c his targets is producing more production. In essence, if we were using b-ball metrics, George’s +/- is better than X.

X is a safety blanket, & EVERY CFB team needs those, but a WR1 wants to be more than a Safety Blanket; they want explosive plays and TDs. Safety blankets ≠ TD production gets u either drafted late or UDFA.

WRs have become huge divas (not sure when this trend started, but it’s been a cool minute). Again, u need an X, Wes, Renfrow, Berrios, Edelman, etc. on ur team as a complimentary WR, but not a featured one. Right now LSU, FSU, OSU, UW can all say we have a 1st round WR in our system, while we say “look at all the catches X has.”

There’s a huge difference in what Mike Irvin(g), Santana Moss, Andre Johnson, Leonard Hankerson, Phillip Dorsett, Reggie Wayne, Brian Blades did here vs. X. Sometimes we’ve become so enamored w empty calorie production, that we forget what elite looks like. I recall I had this same issue w/ Rambo, & while fans were saying he’s a 1st 3 round pick, I said he’ll be fortunate to drafted by day 3. Why? B/c despite all them yards and targets he had, it was filled w/ empty calorie production. 7-5.
No worries brother, appreciate the thoughtful and detailed response.

I thought we were in a different thread discussing portal QBs and what the selling pitch would be.

I agree you’re selling George to Smith 100%. Clearly has the highest ceiling in the WR room and his game is most similar.

Agree on X not being a 2nd round talent and probably a 5th at best but I’d push back on the empty calorie production. This offense would have been dead in the water without X. A lot of those rushing in the end zone don’t happen without him moving the ball down the field. 13.4 yards per catch is good for a slot. Need a guy like George and smith to take the offense to the next level like the pats needed with Gronk and moss.

No worries brother, appreciate the thoughtful and detailed response.

I thought we were in a different thread discussing portal QBs and what the selling pitch would be.

I agree you’re selling George to Smith 100%. Clearly has the highest ceiling in the WR room and his game is most similar.

Agree on X not being a 2nd round talent and probably a 5th at best but I’d push back on the empty calorie production. This offense would have been dead in the water without X. A lot of those rushing in the end zone don’t happen without him moving the ball down the field. 13.4 yards per catch is good for a slot. Need a guy like George and smith to take the offense to the next level like the pats needed with Gronk and moss.

Let me clarify what I mean by empty calories; in my honest, HONEST opinion, the force feed to X hamstring this offense. Why? B/c TVD looked for him way too often, and there were guys streaking open down the field. I believe a slot guy like B Smith would’ve been even more effective. I believe a guy, who imo is a top 3 round pick based upon physical attributes in Young would’ve garnished a higher TD ratio.

So I’m not discounting w/ X did; he kept drives alive, had monster stat games, but since the focus was on him, we left a lot of easy points, potential TDs on the board b/c TVD was focusing solely on him, often.

Maybe

Don't even. No. No ******* way.

Kombucha No But GIF

Advertisement
Great post, fam. I choose to celebrate X for what he is and not rip on him for what he isn’t. He is a good slot receiver/keep the chains moving type of WR. He knows how to get open, can catch and is athletic enough to pick up yards after the catch. Thank goodness he was a Cane this year or UM might have lost a couple more games.

Right; every team needs a guy like him. To be clear when he committed, I was excited and said he was a dog. I felt he was a great #2, #3 WR for us, but what transpired was him being a #1. OK, if he’s going to be a #1, then the EZ needs to be his happy place. So my whole point was if we’re going to sell our offense, George needs to be featured. He did more w/ less, and his #’s would’ve been off the charts if the QBs looked his way as often.

Advertisement
In Dawson's offense the slot receiver is the #1 option more often than not. This is why Restrepo got so many targets. Tight ends and running backs get virtually no targets. Dawson has to make some changes going into next season.
wasting your breath. Restrepo only got targets because he's TVD's buddy - according to CIS

SMH

Advertisement
In Dawson's offense the slot receiver is the #1 option more often than not. This is why Restrepo got so many targets. Tight ends and running backs get virtually no targets. Dawson has to make some changes going into next season.
Welcome to Air Raid offenses. Go lookup how many catches Wes Welker and Amendola got under leach.

Advertisement
Let me clarify what I mean by empty calories; in my honest, HONEST opinion, the force feed to X hamstring this offense. Why? B/c TVD looked for him way too often, and there were guys streaking open down the field. I believe a slot guy like B Smith would’ve been even more effective. I believe a guy, who imo is a top 3 round pick based upon physical attributes in Young would’ve garnished a higher TD ratio.

So I’m not discounting w/ X did; he kept drives alive, had monster stat games, but since the focus was on him, we left a lot of easy points, potential TDs on the board b/c TVD was focusing solely on him, often.
An argument can definitely be made for that so I understand what you’re saying. But at the same time, devils advocate, some of TVDs early picks not thrown to X were because guys didn’t run the right route or quit on the play. So I can understand the lack of trust plus X lays it out there to make the catch. TVD definitely did miss a wide open guy at least twice a game until after UNC. Then obviously missed Colbie against BC.

I’m personally not a fan of B smith in the slot. From what I’ve seen he runs lazy routes but they definitely needed to find more ways to get the ball in his hands. I really wish we saw more of Ray Ray in the slot. They should have used B smith more on those bubbles and tunnels they loved to run. Quick hitters off motion too. I would really like to know what was going on with him / the coaches this year and why they struggled to get him involved at times. I dont know if he struggled to pick up the playbook or wasn’t fully invested at times but it was odd

As well, don’t know why they refused to use their 6’5 receiver in the red zone more. Could have easily done fades to him like they did against Clemson. I’d be interested to see the target breakdown in the end zone and the amount of run plays vs pass plays we ran.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back