Jeff Thomas dehydrated

If anyone wants to go back...take a peek at the celebration after the return!! I have a long-shot theory about what happened. The dude was winded, then the team went on to congratulate Thomas by slapping the heck out of his helmet about 20+ times! It also appears that he even took a celebratory helmet to helmet shot.

...When you're at a point of gasping for air, a persons brain is also at risk of oxygen deprivation...

I'm not in the medical field or anything, but I can speak from experience, both playing and coaching football... The last thing you need, is someone slapping your head around, in that moment. IMO, I think Thomas was not only winded, but dazed from that point on.

He likely came back around in a good 10-15 minutes, but they just kept him out, as he had nothing to prove vs FIU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
From a conditioning standpoint, Felder’s program is night and day beyond what Swasey’s was. I really enjoyed both coaches, but Felder focuses much more on HIIT workouts, more running/conditioning drills during workout sessions, and in practice players have to sprint to hoops on the sidelines after their series.

My guess is obviously not enough water during the week and maybe had a cold. I highly doubt he was just sitting in the team hotel drinking by himself/ with his roommate the night before the game lol
THE GOAT PFENNY. Great Insight as always

I used to do MMA quite a bit and no amount of practice prepares you for the exhaustion of a real fight.. When your adrenaline is going through the roof your body wears down at an unbelievable rate. That's why you see pro fighters gassed after 2-3 minutes when there is a lot of immediate action.

There are plenty of fighters that don't gas out like that. Nick Diaz is a prime example. Your adrenaline shouldn't be going through the roof unless it is one of your first few fights or you are getting your *** whooped. Usually the guys that gas after 2-3 minutes are guys like Mark Hunt. Also, you aren't really getting the most elite athletes in MMA. When the money in MMA picks up we will start to see more physical specimens that will be able to not gas out as quickly. Just look at some of the great mexican boxers(or really any infighters) that would be able to brawl out for 12+ rounds at a much higher intensity then what you will find in MMA.

Advertisement
Does it seam weird that Jeff stayed out the rest of the game for dehydration? I get that he ran his legs off at the beginning of the game. Maybe he just needed a break . I don’t see how with a good conditioning program in Miami he couldn’t return . Either Jeff wasn’t ready last week or something was wrong with him like a cold . Maybe they just decided to give Hartly some great game experience

After the Maryland tragedy, coaches are going to be extremely cautious.

There are plenty of fighters that don't gas out like that. Nick Diaz is a prime example. Your adrenaline shouldn't be going through the roof unless it is one of your first few fights or you are getting your *** whooped. Usually the guys that gas after 2-3 minutes are guys like Mark Hunt. Also, you aren't really getting the most elite athletes in MMA. When the money in MMA picks up we will start to see more physical specimens that will be able to not gas out as quickly. Just look at some of the great mexican boxers(or really any infighters) that would be able to brawl out for 12+ rounds at a much higher intensity then what you will find in MMA.
I was a pretty good fighter in my days.. never a pro but I fought pros.. I can tell you I’ve been gassed while winning and losing.. some fights I could go 5 rounds no problem, others I was hurting going into the second round and many times it was becuase I was thrashing a guy and got too excited hitting him in the face over and over again.. Point is you can get exhausted both ways

I was a pretty good fighter in my days.. never a pro but I fought pros.. I can tell you I’ve been gassed while winning and losing.. some fights I could go 5 rounds no problem, others I was hurting going into the second round and many times it was becuase I was thrashing a guy and got too excited hitting him in the face over and over again.. Point is you can get exhausted both ways

Ya, but you weren't exhausted because of adrenaline which was my point(you may have been, but when you get to the higher levels no one in the UFC, Bellator, etc. are gassing because of adrenaline). The thing is though there are guys who are able to go all 5 rounds with no problem against champion caliber opponents and almost never gas. Then you have real elite level athletes like some of the legendary boxers who never gas after 15 rounds so its not like no one could possibly go that long without gassing. There are levels too it.

Or maybe he was dehydrated, just as Richt said.

It was a smart move to let him rest and rehydrate.

Sometimes it does actually take a while to get over it.

Does it seam weird that Jeff stayed out the rest of the game for dehydration? I get that he ran his legs off at the beginning of the game. Maybe he just needed a break . I don’t see how with a good conditioning program in Miami he couldn’t return . Either Jeff wasn’t ready last week or something was wrong with him like a cold . Maybe they just decided to give Hartly some great game experience

Advertisement
Richt said in an interview that they initially thought it was a hamstring issue and wanted to be cautious even though it ended up being dehydration.

He did softly call out Thomas saying he didn’t do his part in hydrating and that coaches/trainers can’t monitor his water intake 24/7.

I’m sure this will be a great lesson for thomas and he gets his hydration on track.

What philosophies do you not agree with? Serious, curious question...not trying to pick at you. Thanks.
I like most of it and I’m certainly no expert. I think HIIT workouts are great for our conditioning and certainly helped me in that aspect, but can also sacrifice some overall strength gains.

Advertisement
I would also like to see someone else catching the ball Kr or Pr . I think JT is gonna be our premiere wide receiver this year . We wouldn’t want Richards doing all that stuff . There are plenty of guys that would do well and share the load . I have seen many times a superstar get put out for the season playing different positions or special teams .

Advertisement
To date Jeff T has been our best offensive player. If he got dehydrated then he got dehydrated.

No need to rush him back into the a game against FIU. No earthly reason. Dehydration happens for numerous reasons even to the best conditioned athletes.

It was obvious that the JT had been going ALL out approaching super man levels during the short while he was in the game. You could tell something was going wrong with him when he almost got caught during that 80yard return that was called back. Up to then he was a blur on the field.

To compare what happened to him to ourselves or other individuals who are far less energetic, active, athletic and productive is ridiculous. His body may operate on a different level he may burn calories and utilize water quicker.

Anyway, when you are blessed to have someone like him on your team...why take chances?? Especially against FIU.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to go back and peek the celebration, after the return... I have a long-shot theory about what happened. The dude was winded, then the team went on to congratulate Thomas by slapping the heck out of his helmet about 20+ times! It also appears that he even took a celebratory helmet to helmet shot.

...When you're at a point of gasping for air, a persons brain is also at risk of oxygen deprivation...

I'm not in the medical field or anything, but I can speak from experience, both playing and coaching football... The last thing you need, is someone slapping your head around. IMO, I think Thomas was not only winded, but dazed from that point on.

He likely came back around in a good 10-15 minutes, but they just kept him out, as he had nothing to prove vs FIU.
Smacking the helmet has got to stop. Bugs me every time I see it.

Ya, but you weren't exhausted because of adrenaline which was my point(you may have been, but when you get to the higher levels no one in the UFC, Bellator, etc. are gassing because of adrenaline). The thing is though there are guys who are able to go all 5 rounds with no problem against champion caliber opponents and almost never gas. Then you have real elite level athletes like some of the legendary boxers who never gas after 15 rounds so its not like no one could possibly go that long without gassing. There are levels too it.

You haven't the faintest clue what you are talking about. The high caliber MMA fighters absolutely gas from adrenaline dumps. I've heard them specifically mention it in post fight pressers several times. Also boxing is not equal to MMA. Not the same type of physical output...not even remotely close.

Advertisement
Back