JCs Dad again

"Business decision" and Miami in a favorable combo. Never seen that one.

We gotta pay too plain n simple, glad the staff does, now go get Tv

I did hear something recently that leads me to believe the issue with TV has nothing to do with what we've all been thinking. The key here is getting him on campus, and the key person will not be the coaches, but it will be Donna. I was going all out on Genron, thinking he delivered TV, that it was money, etc. I think it's still something that will depend on Donna and how she lays out academic support. That will be key. I trust my source.

We know it isn't close in the academic and support issue between miami and lsu.

Advertisement

I did hear something recently that leads me to believe the issue with TV has nothing to do with what we've all been thinking. The key here is getting him on campus, and the key person will not be the coaches, but it will be Donna. I was going all out on Genron, thinking he delivered TV, that it was money, etc. I think it's still something that will depend on Donna and how she lays out academic support. That will be key. I trust my source.

We know it isn't close in the academic and support issue between miami and lsu.[/QUOTE

I so hope that is true. It appeared she was instrumental with Kayaa and family. Imagine if she helps nail down the two most important recruits. The irony would be lost on those on this board who disparage her and refer to her with racist and homophobic taunts. That and the appearance that it was the Frost Music School that helped nail the other premier player down. Golden being the other consistent factor would lead to a full melt down here.

Stable father figures seem to be our best ally when it comes to these kids. Single mothers seem more likely to fall prey to parasitic coaches, opportunistic street agents, and conniving coaches. Does this have any validity or is it a vast generalization??

I'm wondering if kids are more liable to blow off their mothers, like Alex Collins did.

Kids should respect their mothers--he could have gone wherever he wanted, he didn't need to embarrass his mother in public. Ask yourself if that is something you would do to your mother?

Stable father figures seem to be our best ally when it comes to these kids. Single mothers seem more likely to fall prey to parasitic coaches, opportunistic street agents, and conniving coaches. Does this have any validity or is it a vast generalization??

I'm wondering if kids are more liable to blow off their mothers, like Alex Collins did.

think about that mom who's an LSU fan and wanted her kids to go to LSU & both kids blew her off..1 went to Bama & the other went to UiF..IMO it's a societal issue more than anything else as to why these kids are deciding not to stay close to home

Advertisement
he didn't need to embarrass his mother in public.

His mother embarrassed herself.

No. He embarrassed her. Your response reflects so typically the kind of entitled attitude that so many young people have today-they're self-centered and think they know everything. The younger generations have never really had it hard, never had to worry about being drafted to go to Viet Nam, and never worried (like the WWII) generation, where they were going to get their next meal. So many of the WWII draftees came in gaunt and undernourished because good and plentiful food was not a given.

I thought the way Collins treated his mother--based on what I read--was horrible.

No. He embarrassed her. Your response reflects so typically the kind of entitled attitude that so many young people have today-they're self-centered and think they know everything. The younger generations have never really had it hard, never had to worry about being drafted to go to Viet Nam, and never worried (like the WWII) generation, where they were going to get their next meal. So many of the WWII draftees came in gaunt and undernourished because good and plentiful food was not a given.

I thought the way Collins treated his mother--based on what I read--was horrible.

I can relate to how you are describing years ago compared with today, it is generational. Grew up in that era and had those values instilled. Enabling and entitling are not a good thing, IMO.

Times change. Deal with it.

I'm entitled for thinking his mother embarrassed herself after throwing a tantrum & walking out of his signing day party without signing his NLI? What the heck did she go for? He had already announced for Arkansas. It is his life/choice.. She tried making it about her.

Advertisement

We know it isn't close in the academic and support issue between miami and lsu.[/QUOTE

I so hope that is true. It appeared she was instrumental with Kayaa and family. Imagine if she helps nail down the two most important recruits. The irony would be lost on those on this board who disparage her and refer to her with racist and homophobic taunts. That and the appearance that it was the Frost Music School that helped nail the other premier player down. Golden being the other consistent factor would lead to a full melt down here.

Apparently we can offer an excellent academic support program, second to none, and LSU is afraid that TV and his family will be sold on that. As long as she took off that headset on the sidelines, and stopped interfering in the play callng, I'm a fan of hers. (Just joking!) I think that picture with the headset was priceless. She's strong on academics, strong on fundraising and promoting the university, and supports football. She brought in Barry Alvarez who strengthened athletics at Wisconsin. I like to make fun of her at times, but I think she's a great president and good for the university overall, although I'm not an alum. Interesting thing is, I believe she was recruited by a Republican member of the BOT, Chuck Cobb.

I do believe if she is persuasive about the advantages of UM as far as getting him in and supporting him academically throughout, we've got a great shot. If what I heard is correct, it is not so much about scheme, his buddies at LSU, money, Genron...it comes down to this.

By the way, i believe D'Onofrio can and will scheme so that explosive DLs like TV can shine. I don't think he has to sit in front of the center protecting two gaps; He might play some NT, but there are things they can do, even in a 3-4, to take advantage of his explosiveness. Just because a kid is huge does not mean he has to be a NT, especially a zero-technique NT. He can be an end, where he'd have to be doubled by a T and TE, or perhaps just be in a position to explode through a gap. I think he can do a lot to mess up an offensive scheme sitting out there as a DE in a 3-4.

By the way, I'm not convinced that overall, LSU is a bad university. Yes, they might take a lot of weaker students into their undergraduate programs, especially athletes, but over the years I heard they did some good research and had some decent graduate programs. That often is the way it is in big state universities. They have much more money than smaller universities and can support significant research and graduate teaching. That's why I don't like to criticize places like FSU and LSU academically. I remember when FSU had two Nobel Laureates on their physics faculty. I had friends who were physics grad students there and they were very bright.

The thiing is, there is often a gap between good academics overall, including research and graduate programs, and how they support academically their student-athletes. I don't know that UNC did a very good job of that, and UNC is supposed to be a very good university overall. It's elite is some programs.

I'd love to know graduation rates for student-athletes at LSU, UNC and UM. That would be an indicator. Does LSU get 80%, or even more, to a degree in four or five years? Can they match UM?

Maybe I should stop writing, because if it is what I think it is, LSU people could be reading this and planning some way to undercut what needs to be done this weekend.

Miami has one of the better music, marine science, medicine, law, and possibly communication programs.

everything else is meh.

however, it's all about perception.

people are starting to THINK that Miami is a better school than it is. regardless, it is better than most state schools and Miami is by far the best institution in the state.

Apparently we can offer an excellent academic support program, second to none, and LSU is afraid that TV and his family will be sold on that. As long as she took off that headset on the sidelines, and stopped interfering in the play callng, I'm a fan of hers. (Just joking!) I think that picture with the headset was priceless. She's strong on academics, strong on fundraising and promoting the university, and supports football. She brought in Barry Alvarez who strengthened athletics at Wisconsin. I like to make fun of her at times, but I think she's a great president and good for the university overall, although I'm not an alum. Interesting thing is, I believe she was recruited by a Republican member of the BOT, Chuck Cobb.

I do believe if she is persuasive about the advantages of UM as far as getting him in and supporting him academically throughout, we've got a great shot. If what I heard is correct, it is not so much about scheme, his buddies at LSU, money, Genron...it comes down to this.

By the way, i believe D'Onofrio can and will scheme so that explosive DLs like TV can shine. I don't think he has to sit in front of the center protecting two gaps; He might play some NT, but there are things they can do, even in a 3-4, to take advantage of his explosiveness. Just because a kid is huge does not mean he has to be a NT, especially a zero-technique NT. He can be an end, where he'd have to be doubled by a T and TE, or perhaps just be in a position to explode through a gap. I think he can do a lot to mess up an offensive scheme sitting out there as a DE in a 3-4.

By the way, I'm not convinced that overall, LSU is a bad university. Yes, they might take a lot of weaker students into their undergraduate programs, especially athletes, but over the years I heard they did some good research and had some decent graduate programs. That often is the way it is in big state universities. They have much more money than smaller universities and can support significant research and graduate teaching. That's why I don't like to criticize places like FSU and LSU academically. I remember when FSU had two Nobel Laureates on their physics faculty. I had friends who were physics grad students there and they were very bright.

The thiing is, there is often a gap between good academics overall, including research and graduate programs, and how they support academically their student-athletes. I don't know that UNC did a very good job of that, and UNC is supposed to be a very good university overall. It's elite is some programs.

I'd love to know graduation rates for student-athletes at LSU, UNC and UM. That would be an indicator. Does LSU get 80%, or even more, to a degree in four or five years? Can they match UM?

Maybe I should stop writing, because if it is what I think it is, LSU people could be reading this and planning some way to undercut what needs to be done this weekend.

LSU football players grad rate for last year was 74% and student athletes overall were 81%, the highest they have ever had. UNC football rate is 75%. Miami football rate is tied for highest in the ACC at 94% (with BC). Only Notre Dame and Northwestern, both at 97%, were higher than Miami.

LSU is a glorified day care center by the standards of most major national universities. That's not to say they dont have smart people or some good students, but overall, schools like LSU and Bama if you have a pulse you can get in. Education in the state of Louisiana is a joke, and always has been. They have some of the worst schools in the nation.

Academic Support at LSU = We'll put the bib on you before your final exam for "Independent study 6000" so you dont get drool on the keyboard.

Advertisement
Miami has one of the better music, marine science, medicine, law, and possibly communication programs.

everything else is meh.

however, it's all about perception.

people are starting to THINK that Miami is a better school than it is. regardless, it is better than most state schools and Miami is by far the best institution in the state.

Our Business programs, both undergraduate and MBA level are also ranked highly.

IIRC Collins had been living with his fat slob coach. That is one reason that the "mama" thing doesnt really help us much anymore. So Fla football has become a very sketchy circus of top players living with coaches, mentors, advisors, etc....so what they mothers or parents actually want, is often secondary to what the kid is being fed by the people closest to them, which is not the parents.

IIRC Collins had been living with his fat slob coach. That is one reason that the "mama" thing doesnt really help us much anymore. So Fla football has become a very sketchy circus of top players living with coaches, mentors, advisors, etc....so what they mothers or parents actually want, is often secondary to what the kid is being fed by the people closest to them, which is not the parents.

That is a sad scenario. The reality is football is the ticket out of poverty, understandable and education is secondary for many, while the possibility of immediate funds is very appealing.

Advertisement

I'm entitled for thinking his mother embarrassed herself after throwing a tantrum & walking out of his signing day party without signing his NLI? What the heck did she go for? He had already announced for Arkansas. It is his life/choice.. She tried making it about her.

Under most circumstances I'd agree, but not in this one. Based on the oddness of the situation she had every reason to question whether her son was being coerced into doing something he didn't want to do by his coach. Given that the mother, brother, and Alex's best friends in school and on the team all made comments about how they thought Alex was going to UM based on what he himself told them, it was shocking and odd that he suddenly picked Arkansas. So the mother decided not to sign without knowing what really happened. She may have been a bit dramatic in how she did it, but not signing was understandable given the situation.

I can relate to how you are describing years ago compared with today, it is generational. Grew up in that era and had those values instilled. Enabling and entitling are not a good thing, IMO.

Well it is only going to get worse thanks to the current administration in the White House.

Sorry, I am a business owner so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bash our government, especially after reading that Polosi now wants to tax our 401 k's and other retirement so that immigrants and illegal aliens can have a better life.

Nothing like laying in the jungle worrying about bleeding out before the copter gets there to give you a proper perspective on where you sit in the pecking order of life. Our grandchildren get upset if they do not have the latest version of smart phone and I am not talking about the teenage ones, these are the 12 and under ones. Miami needs to find a way to change the rules of this game. An offer from THE U has value to kids-- if nothing else it is leverage in negoitations with $$$ mills like LSU. Deny the offer to kids with a hostile handler and to entire high shcools that favor other programs. Maybe they start to lose THEIR 10th grade recruits. Start an aggressive anti-handler program. We seem to lose all these kids anyway so a little scorched earth could go a long way.

Advertisement
Back