JC Jackson arrested for armed robbery, T Valentine suspended

This thread has taken a strange turn, where social conformity has somehow become related to some idiots robbing their weed dealer.

Apples and oranges

It's not apples and oranges sir.

Social conformity, or the lack thereof, plays a huge part in this story.

This is a classic case of a kid not wanting to change his behavior regardless of the change in his environment.

I'd understand if he was behaving in this manner in a ghetto where the only way he was going to eat or pay for a critical need (like shelter or medicine). I'm not condoning it or do it myself, but I'd at least see why he would do it.

That is not the case at all here though. He was in an environment were everything he needed was provided to him; education, room and board, food, clothing, shoes...almost everything he needed and more than likely did not have previously.

Advertisement
This thread has taken a strange turn, where social conformity has somehow become related to some idiots robbing their weed dealer.

Apples and oranges

This is a classic case of a kid not wanting to change his behavior regardless of the change in his environment.

I'd understand if he was behaving in this manner in a ghetto where the only way he was going to eat or pay for a critical need (like shelter or medicine). I'm not condoning it or do it myself, but I'd at least see why he would do it.

That is not the case at all here though. He was in an environment were everything he needed was provided to him; education, room and board, food, clothing, shoes...almost everything he needed and more than likely did not have previously.

Stereotyping a bad apple.

Most student athletes work their *** off and succeed at life regardless of race or ethnicity.

That's the norm. This guy(if he's guilty) is the exception.

FWIW...

White and/or Latin kids do the same **** when they grow up in environments like JC Jackson did.

Been working with kids for at least 15 years, many of those years with behaviorally complex children, and I have seen it plenty of times. White/Latin kids who grow up in poverty don't exactly turn out to be saints. One of my trailer park kids just committed an armed robbery on a married couple who were jogging through their billion dollar community in broad daylight.

I've got stories for days.

So in your opinion, how do these these types of kids strive and succeed?

From my experience...

They need something to be passionate about. They need to find their niche in life, something they can succeed at whether it be football or auto mechanic. However, it's up the adults surrounding the kid to feed that passion.

Let's talk football for example.

I can get any kid to run through a wall for me if I can make him believe that I genuinely love him, care for him and support him. If I can make that kid passionate about football, and passionate about his coach/coaches, then I can hold that over his head any time he screws up. I (we) made/make our kids love football. They love playing for us. They would do anything not to ruin that. Personally, my kids know that I love them to death. I would give them the shirt off my back (have), I would feed them if they're hungry (have) and I will do whatever it takes to make them better men and better athletes...but at the same time they know that I'll put my foot in their a$$ (metaphorically). Love and support is something that many of these kids lacked their whole life but they know it when they see it. They actually yearn for it. As soon as you give it to them a light bulb goes off. And I'm talking about GENUINE love, not "You run a 4.3 so it's okay that you have a 1.9 GPA" love. Tough love!

Once you get that kid on your side and he starts to admire you and feel like you genuinely care for him, he will run through a wall for you. He will do whatever it takes not to lose football and/or disappoint you. When I was growing up, I feared DISAPPOINTING my father more than I feared ****ing him off. It's kinda like that with coaching and/or mentoring.

*Love them
*Support them
*Believe in them
*Get them to buy in
*Get them to love/admire you
*Hold that over their head

The problem is the adults that surround these athletes. They don't hold them accountable. We would bench any player of ours, regardless of importance or skill level. Feliciano, Moreau, Talan, Dowels, you name it. This sets the tone for your whole program. Not only are you teaching the star player to be accountable but you're showing every other kid on the team that BS will not be tolerated. "If they benched him I know they'll bench me. I better not ***** up." 99.9% of the time we only had to make this statement ONCE and the message was clear.

The fear of losing something they're passionate about, or something that they live for, usually keeps them in line.

Last edited:
*Love them
*Support them
*Believe in them
*Get them to buy in

TheDENNISSystem.jpg

Apples and oranges

Most student athletes work their *** off and succeed at life regardless of race or ethnicity.

Thats the whole point of my comment(s) in this thread.

He's become the exception because he chooses to eschew his previous environmentally driven behavior in favor of, wait for it...behaviors that require different levels of social conformity.

I'm still not sure how this thing has turned into a black/white thing.

It runs a lot deeper than that in our current social climate.

Advertisement

Apples and oranges

In Gainesville? An exception? You sure?

Apples and oranges

He's become the exception because he chooses to eschew his previous environmentally driven behavior in favor of, wait for it...behaviors that require different levels of social conformity.

It seems, and I'm assuming, that your premise is based on most teenage/high school athletes robbing their weed dealers and then adjusting to a new climate in college.

Myself, and most posters here, came up through the Dade county public school system and in my experience it's the opposite. The football players and other athletes got into some mischief like everyone else, but were as a whole a group of hard working dedicated guys.

The "rob your weed dealer" ******* will probably always be that *******.

Advertisement

Apples and oranges

It seems, and I'm assuming, that your premise is based on most teenage/high school athletes robbing their weed dealers and then adjusting to a new climate in college.

Myself, and most posters here, came up through the Dade county public school system and in my experience it's the opposite. The football players and other athletes got into some mischief like everyone else, but were as a whole a group of hard working dedicated guys.

Good job, good effort.

FWIW...

White and/or Latin kids do the same **** when they grow up in environments like JC Jackson did.

Been working with kids for at least 15 years, many of those years with behaviorally complex children, and I have seen it plenty of times. White/Latin kids who grow up in poverty don't exactly turn out to be saints. One of my trailer park kids just committed an armed robbery on a married couple who were jogging through their billion dollar community in broad daylight.

From my experience...

They need something to be passionate about. They need to find their niche in life, something they can succeed at whether it be football or auto mechanic. However, it's up the adults surrounding the kid to feed that passion.

I can get any kid to run through a wall for me if I can make him believe that I genuinely love him, care for him and support him. If I can make that kid passionate about football, and passionate about his coach/coaches, then I can hold that over his head any time he screws up. I (we) made/make our kids love football. They love playing for us. They would do anything not to ruin that. Personally, my kids know that I love them to death. I would give them the shirt off my back (have), I would feed them if they're hungry (have) and I will do whatever it takes to make them better men and better athletes...but at the same time they know that I'll put my foot in their a$$ (metaphorically). Love and support is something that many of these kids lacked their whole life but they know it when they see it. They actually yearn for it. As soon as you give it to them a light bulb goes off. And I'm talking about GENUINE love, not "You run a 4.3 so it's okay that you have a 1.9 GPA" love. Tough love!

Once you get that kid on your side and he starts to admire you and feel like you genuinely care for him, he will run through a wall for you. He will do whatever it takes not to lose football and/or disappoint you. When I was growing up, I feared DISAPPOINTING my father more than I feared ****ing him off. It's kinda like that with coaching and/or mentoring.

*Love them
*Support them
*Believe in them
*Get them to buy in

The problem is the adults that surround these athletes. They don't hold them accountable. We would bench any player of ours, regardless of importance or skill level. Feliciano, Moreau, Talan, Dowels, you name it. This sets the tone for your whole program. Not only are you teaching the star player to be accountable but you're showing every other kid on the team that BS will not be tolerated. "If they benched him I know they'll bench me. I better not ***** up." 99.9% of the time we only had to make this statement ONCE and the message was clear.

The fear of losing something they're passionate about, or something that they live for, usually keeps them in line.

You copied this right out of Golden's binders.

Good job, good effort.

Tooshey good sir, tooshey.

Gotta put my best foot forward.

FWIW...

From my experience...

*Love them
*Support them
*Believe in them
*Get them to buy in

You copied this right out of Golden's binders.

Except my kids love me.

Golden's kids hate him.

Advertisement
Macho how come your team only wins one game per year?

You been sayin' this joke for like 3 years now and I don't understand where it comes from. Last time you said this dumb **** we went 7-3.

You gotta come up with some new material bro. The truth hurts more. Dig up some factual **** then get back to me.

Advertisement

You been sayin' this joke for like 3 years now and I don't understand where it comes from. Last time you said this dumb **** we went 7-3.

You gotta come up with some new material bro. The truth hurts more. Dig up some factual **** then get back to me.

Name some players that you personally developed into FBS athletes...

Well I've always coached at schools that didn't have FBS talent. I can't turn a 5'7" 185lb Linebacker into an FBS athlete no matter how good my coaching is. My job is to field a competent defense, not develop guys for the FBS.

Hopefully you don't think that the guys who send the most kids to FBS are the best coaches. LOL. Any coach can send Calvin Ridley to a BCS school.

If a kid has the physical tools to play FBS football and you're coaching him properly on the high school level then development happens by default.

Talk to me about what my kids do ON THE HIGH SCHOOL FIELD. That's a more accurate reflection of coaching.

*I couldn't turn my 5'7" 185lb Linebacker into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 100 tackles his Senior season.
*I couldn't turn my 6'0" 190lb Defensive End into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 10+ sacks his Junior and Senior season.
*I couldn't turn my 5'7" 150lb Corner into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 8 interceptions his Senior year, especially considering the fact that his nickname was "bomb squad" and "toast" before I got there and became his DC.
*I couldn't turn my 6'1" 210lb Defensive End into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 13 sacks his Junior year followed by 10 his Senior year.
*This past season I had a 6'3" 215lb kid who played back-up Defensive End the year before I got there. I stepped on campus and moved him to Sam Linebacker and he had the best season of his career and signed a scholarship offer to Alcorn State. I doubt he still gets that offer if he's an undersized DE.

See where I'm going?

Sending kids to FBS isn't a reflection of coaching. But since you asked...

*Wade Freebeck was developed by us before transferring to STA his Senior year. He received a UF offer under us. He's at Vanderbilt now.
*Fabian Moreau was developed by us. He's now a three year starter at UCLA.
*Gavin Ricketts was personally developed by me. He's a three year starting Defensive Tackle at Western Illinois.
*Juwan Dowels was developed by us. He led the county in INT's two years in a row and transferred to American Heritage where he won Broward County DPOY and led the state in INT's with 10. He received offers from Oklahoma, TAMU, Clemson, Cincy, etc...and is now at Syracuse.
*Jon Feliciano. We all know where he's at right now.
*Adrienne Talan was personally developed by me. That's my son. For the past 3 seasons he's been (arguably) the most explosive defensive player in Broward County. He received offers from TCU, Pitt, MSU, Oregon State, etc...and is headed to Nebraska.
*Russell Laughton-James was developed by us before transferring to American Heritage. He's now playing O-line at West Virginia.
*Tevin Allen was developed by us before transferring to STA. He is now playing Safety at Illinois State.
*Andrew Harris was developed by us and is now a starting Safety at Penn. (Ivy League ball)

Then we have a bunch of others kid that are playing small school ball.

Those are the only college level kids we've (I've) had. We're lucky if we have one per year. Some of those kids transferred to other schools when there was a head coaching change.

One thing about our/my kids is...they get to college and they PLAY. Our kids don't sit the bench in college. They already know the game when they get there and they're already familiar with complex schemes so their learning curve is different from most kids. That is a reflection of coaching, not whether the kid gets offers or not. The colleges offer athletes whether they were coached well in high school or not.

Talk to me about what my kids do on THIS level. Talk to me about the defensive rankings within Broward County. Talk to me about the kid's character and his grades. Anything else beyond that is out of my control. My job is to give these kids the best HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE I can and hope that I can lead him to the right path, whether it be college football or freakin' auto mechanic.

Well I've always coached at schools that didn't have FBS talent. I can't turn a 5'7" 185lb Linebacker into an FBS athlete no matter how good my coaching is. My job is to field a competent defense, not develop guys for the FBS.

Hopefully you don't think that the guys who send the most kids to FBS are the best coaches. LOL. Any coach can send Calvin Ridley to a BCS school.

If a kid has the physical tools to play FBS football and you're coaching him properly on the high school level then development happens by default.

Talk to me about what my kids do ON THE HIGH SCHOOL FIELD. That's a more accurate reflection of coaching.

*I couldn't turn my 5'7" 185lb Linebacker into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 100 tackles his Senior season.
*I couldn't turn my 6'0" 190lb Defensive End into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 10+ sacks his Junior and Senior season.
*I couldn't turn my 5'7" 150lb Corner into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 8 interceptions his Senior year, especially considering the fact that his nickname was "bomb squad" and "toast" before I got there and became his DC.
*I couldn't turn my 6'1" 210lb Defensive End into an FBS athlete but I'd like to think I at least had a part in him registering 13 sacks his Junior year followed by 10 his Senior year.
*This past season I had a 6'3" 215lb kid who played back-up Defensive End the year before I got there. I stepped on campus and moved him to Sam Linebacker and he had the best season of his career and signed a scholarship offer to Alcorn State. I doubt he still gets that offer if he's an undersized DE.

See where I'm going?

Sending kids to FBS isn't a reflection of coaching. But since you asked...

*Wade Freebeck was developed by us before transferring to STA his Senior year. He received a UF offer under us. He's at Vanderbilt now.
*Fabian Moreau was developed by us. He's now a three year starter at UCLA.
*Gavin Ricketts was personally developed by me. He's a three year starting Defensive Tackle at Western Illinois.
*Juwan Dowels was developed by us. He led the county in INT's two years in a row and transferred to American Heritage where he won Broward County DPOY and led the state in INT's with 10. He received offers from Oklahoma, TAMU, Clemson, Cincy, etc...and is now at Syracuse.
*Jon Feliciano. We all know where he's at right now.
*Adrienne Talan was personally developed by me. That's my son. For the past 3 seasons he's been (arguably) the most explosive defensive player in Broward County. He received offers from TCU, Pitt, MSU, Oregon State, etc...and is headed to Nebraska.
*Russell Laughton-James was developed by us before transferring to American Heritage. He's now playing O-line at West Virginia.
*Tevin Allen was developed by us before transferring to STA. He is now playing Safety at Illinois State.
*Andrew Harris was developed by us and is now a starting Safety at Penn. (Ivy League ball)

Then we have a bunch of others kid that are playing small school ball.

Those are the only college level kids we've (I've) had. We're lucky if we have one per year. Some of those kids transferred to other schools when there was a head coaching change.

One thing about our/my kids is...they get to college and they PLAY. Our kids don't sit the bench in college. They already know the game when they get there and they're already familiar with complex schemes so their learning curve is different from most kids. That is a reflection of coaching, not whether the kid gets offers or not. The colleges offer athletes whether they were coached well in high school or not.

Talk to me about what my kids do on THIS level. Talk to me about the defensive rankings within Broward County. Talk to me about the kid's character and his grades. Anything else beyond that is out of my control. My job is to give these kids the best HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE I can and hope that I can lead him to the right path, whether it be college football or freakin' auto mechanic.

Your resume is better than NoD.

#firegrohlden
#BRINGBACKBUTCH

I wish they would have came here but, hate to see these young men run afoul of the law and academically. Its like some AA young males lack the ability to adapt to new surroundings. They bring that ghetto, thug, inability to rationalize proper behavior to an institution of higher "learning". They don't have the ability to disassociate themselves from their idiot thug friends, change their appearance (to fit a professional/collegiate environment) or practice proper grammar. The primary problem is many of them don't self recognize these "disabilities" or accept it when someone tells them of their short comings.

Isn't that a bit of a raceist based generalization? "proper behavior [at] an institution of higher "learning" does not require an "AA male" to "change [his] appearance (to fit a professional/collegiate environment) or practice proper grammar," any more than a kid from South Carolina is required to lose his 'southern drawl' and/or cut his shoulder length hair when he enrolls at Yale. Ya'll dig what I mean?
The concept of 'diversity' does not require 'conformity'.

Are you saying that it's ok for him to keep behaving the way he was behaving in an environment that did not necessitate that type of behavior?

This is what it looks like you're saying, which is a long winded way of calling anyone that conforms a sell-out or a cornball.

That is clearly not what I said! My 'long winded (sic) comment did not refer to "him", either. It referred to your racist generalization of "AA young males."

Maybe if they weren't committing boat loads of crime then people would stop the generalizations you speak of. Young Black males are the most disliked group of people in this country and like it or not, it's a well deserved title. Personal responsibility isn't high on their list.

What is crime? Who are the criminals? Over a million Iraqis dead. Police killing Americans. What if the police patrolled wall st like they do Dade County? whites aren't killing each other on top of killing black men? Stop and frisk the child molesters! LMAO at this devil. Wearing a cheerleader outfit yelling and screaming and fawning over these young black men!

Advertisement
Back