Jaylan Knighton Talks Top Schools, Sets Decision Date

View as article
Talked to him a little bit at practice today. The interest is real but I get the sense that he's genuinely letting the process play out. I know he's not thrilled about the idea of staying close to home though.

Miami is definitely putting forth their best effort. Hickson was all over him today and Manny was talking to him periodically as well. They're selling him on the fact that Dallas is leaving early and Burns will probably transfer.
You were at UM practice? If so, what were your thoughts on the team?

The very thought about him and Chaney paired together is mesmerizing lol.

Advertisement
You were at UM practice? If so, what were your thoughts on the team?

The very thought about him and Chaney paired together is mesmerizing lol.

Energy and tempo is much better than the last 3 regimes. Lots of "coaching up".

Everybody spoke highly of Feely. An assistant coach told me "he's everybody's favorite guy around here". We spoke about the transformation that Miller has made. Coach seems to think that he'll be a real force with one or two more off-season(s) of work.

I was told the QB race is legitimately even right now. This particular coach loves Williams though, as do I. He's just crisp back there. Efficient. Smart.

Martell is struggling from under center, which leads me to my only gripe. We run way too much 21 Personnel (under center) for my liking. The offense I saw today reeks of the old "square peg round hole" issue we've had at Miami for years. 2/3 of our QB's are prototypical spread players yet we're forcing them to play under center and take 5/7 step drops.
The coach even said Martell is great when he's playing 5 yard behind center and can read the defense from back there, move around, make plays, etc. So...
I don't know what the plan is for him going forward. I can tell you one thing, he throws an ugly ball at times. LOL
Some people around the program alluded to the fact that he needed to humble himself. All of that off-season trending got to his head a little bit. Personally I think he's going to struggle if they force him into this system. If they spread it out (in the gun) and use his athleticism he could be a threat. But under Center he's no bueno. (just my opinion from limited viewing)

I was told "in a perfect world we'd be under center 75% of the time". I'm personally not a fan of that but we'll see how it goes. I was told Enos is a **** of a coach and things are much more detailed this year.

Many times today the QB's couldn't even finish their drops before the pass rush was in their face. That's pretty alarming. We'd go play-action...QB would fake the hand-off...turn around to look for a WR...bam...a DL in his face.

One good thing I noticed about the offense is that we're willing to take 5 yard completions. There's finally an effort to get the ball to quick guys intermediately.

I'll be at practice again Saturday to give things another look. Diaz is having a coaching clinic after practice so I'm looking forward to that.

Talked to him a little bit at practice today. The interest is real but I get the sense that he's genuinely letting the process play out. I know he's not thrilled about the idea of staying close to home though.

Miami is definitely putting forth their best effort. Hickson was all over him today and Manny was talking to him periodically as well. They're selling him on the fact that Dallas is leaving early and Burns will probably transfer.

That makes me smile.
He doesn’t have to commit early, keep the foot on the gas. If his biggest thing is simply he isn’t crazy about staying home then that’s good news.

Advertisement

Everybody spoke highly of Feely. An assistant coach told me "he's everybody's favorite guy around here". We spoke about the transformation that Miller has made. Coach seems to think that he'll be a real force with one or two more off-season(s) of work.

I was told the QB race is legitimately even right now. This particular coach loves Williams though, as do I. He's just crisp back there. Efficient. Smart.

Martell is struggling from under center, which leads me to my only gripe. We run way too much 21 Personnel (under center) for my liking. The offense I saw today reeks of the old "square peg round hole" issue we've had at Miami for years. 2/3 of our QB's are prototypical spread players yet we're forcing them to play under center and take 5/7 step drops.
The coach even said Martell is great when he's playing 5 yard behind center and can read the defense from back there, move around, make plays, etc. So...
I don't know what the plan is for him going forward. I can tell you one thing, he throws an ugly ball at times. LOL
Some people around the program alluded to the fact that he needed to humble himself. All of that off-season trending got to his head a little bit. Personally I think he's going to struggle if they force him into this system. If they spread it out (in the gun) and use his athleticism he could be a threat. But under Center he's no bueno. (just my opinion from limited viewing)

I was told "in a perfect world we'd be under center 75% of the time". I'm personally not a fan of that but we'll see how it goes. I was told Enos is a **** of a coach and things are much more detailed this year.

Many times today the QB's couldn't even finish their drops before the pass rush was in their face. That's pretty alarming. We'd go play-action...QB would fake the hand-off...turn around to look for a WR...bam...a DL in his face.

One good thing I noticed about the offense is that we're willing to take 5 yard completions. There's finally an effort to get the ball to quick guys intermediately.

I'll be at practice again Saturday to give things another look. Diaz is having a coaching clinic after practice so I'm looking forward to that.

Hiding the juice in a thread about Knighton on the recruiting board. Very sneaky

Thanks for the response along with the scoop. Seems like Enos and Butch Barry have the most work to do for this upcoming season. I can only hope this team truly improves 1 day at a time.

Also it seemed like the injury bug bit us bad these past few days.

Last edited:

I don't like the under center thing either. Hopefully that is just the first part of the installation.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Thanks coach.
Do you think the under cente thing is intended to put the qb’s in uncomfortable positions to see who can handle it better? Or do you legit think it’s going to be a huge part of the offense.

Advertisement
It's definitely going to be a big part of the offense.

Understand that Enos is pushing for under center, but he eluded after practice 4 that the QB's need alot of work in that area with everything from the huddle to the snap count because the previous staff taught them very little in that area...Couldn't the emphasis in practice just be enos piling on the reps to try to get them up to speed and adjusted as fast as possible so they can progress?

In a positive light, I was told that he will tailor his offense to the players we have.

I'm trying to remind myself that we're only a few practices into the spring, so things haven't even taken shape yet.
I remember in one of his earlier videos he said he Is going to install the stuff he does a lot and see how the players look and then adjust the system afterwards. I think the 2nd spring game will be close to how we will look.

Advertisement
Back