2024 Jayden Jackson 4* DT from IMG is a Sooner

Someone pointed out Lagway is committed to UF bc Napier had a QB drafted high. Mario had a QB drafted top 10 who won rookie of the year.

So now Oregon gets that credit but not Mario? But yet UF gets the credit for Trask, not Mullen?

It’s money, Mario was hired (and paid very very well) to convince these kids to take less to come play for him. Not much, but less.

If he can’t do that…. Then we were better off hiring a “X&O” coach at 2.5-3Ms & dumping the other 5Ms into NIL a year.
lagway was interested in us. we didnt do anything w the interest based on a prior posters report last year.

im saying, your schools pedigree matters. how many tight ends has mario sent to the NFL draft as an HC? how many has miami as a program sent? you dont think our history with TEs makes a diff in our recruiting of that position regardless of the HC or even the position coach? our recruiting failures are not all NIL but if you choose to believe that, so be it. no need to convince others

Advertisement
It’s not Billy, it’s not Mario, it’s money… but you read past that point so you can make your ******* comment.
Seems like a **** measuring contest to me.

Boosters saying “if we have to spend more than anyone else to land the player, why did we pay Mario 80 Million?”

To be honest it’s a fair question.

lagway was interested in us. we didnt do anything w the interest based on a prior posters report last year.

im saying, your schools pedigree matters. how many tight ends has mario sent to the NFL draft as an HC? how many has miami as a program sent? you dont think our history with TEs makes a diff in our recruiting of that position regardless of the HC or even the position coach? our recruiting failures are not all NIL but if you choose to believe that, so be it. no need to convince others
If school pedigree matters no QB would ever go to UF. They’ve produced zero good NFL QBs in 100 years. Hathcock was tweeting/hinting about Lagway before he committed… why? Because he paid him.

The school pedigree is a cop out. If Lincoln Riley got hired tomorrow at Wazzu St he would have a 5 star QB in fold by August.

Advertisement
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by these results. The writing was on the wall in the spring when the narrative was 'the team will look significantly different in the fall' and then after tons of elite WR whiffs it changed to 'Miami is happy with it's two deep.' We all should have known back then that something was seriously off.
What's the incentive for any elite player to come to Miami right now? NIL? Ok, but if other teams are offering the same NIL or more, what's the incentive? The all star staph failed miserably and then we moved to a staff of virtual nobodies. Outside of OL going in the first round Mario has nothing. If we're not willing to spend money like aTm did a couple years ago this will take a long time. I mean, even the coaching hires seemed cheap. Is that because those were the only dudes wiling to work for normal money?

It’s Mario too. He squandered away last year with Gattis and put us in a hole where, in my opinion, kids just want other schools in the ballpark. It’s money to the point that we’d have to pay so much more to get a kid like UiF with Rashada.

If school pedigree matters no QB would ever go to UF. They’ve produced zero good NFL QBs in 100 years. Hathcock was tweeting/hinting about Lagway before he committed… why? Because he paid him.

The school pedigree is a cop out. If Lincoln Riley got hired tomorrow at Wazzu St he would have a 5 star QB in fold by August.
they sent their most recent QBs into the league. we haven't. that matters just like our history in producing TEs. look man, the fallacy you guys believe is that kids care how a dude ends up being in the NFL. they just care if the school can get them there. thats what Bama and OSU does with their QBs now.

Advertisement
Guys some of this stuff is just obvious. All you have to do is look at Mario and Billy last cycle and the one before that, neither had a good season, neither is a coaching savant and now look at what’s happening between them. Then Nebraska takes Barney to boot.

I think we better hope our guys will go balls to the wall for 2-3 DL, Trader and Ellis, the UGA CB

Guys some of this stuff is just obvious. All you have to do is look at Mario and Billy last cycle and the one before that, neither had a good season, neither is a coaching savant and now look at what’s happening between them. Then Nebraska takes Barney to boot.

I think we better hope our guys will go balls to the wall for 2-3 DL, Trader and Ellis, the UGA CB
tech billy goat can say I won one more game than Mario in a harder conf with a harder schedule lol. that is so sad

Or….

Happy You Get That GIF by Couponmoto

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by these results. The writing was on the wall in the spring when the narrative was 'the team will look significantly different in the fall' and then after tons of elite WR whiffs it changed to 'Miami is happy with it's two deep.' We all should have known back then that something was seriously off.
What's the incentive for any elite player to come to Miami right now? NIL? Ok, but if other teams are offering the same NIL or more, what's the incentive? The all star staph failed miserably and then we moved to a staff of virtual nobodies. Outside of OL going in the first round Mario has nothing. If we're not willing to spend money like aTm did a couple years ago this will take a long time. I mean, even the coaching hires seemed cheap. Is that because those were the only dudes wiling to work for normal money?
A lot of good points and questions. I don’t even know if we’re being outbid in every situation. We’re the leverage school. Get a miami offer and bring it to Ohio State to get them to up their deal.

Advertisement
tech billy goat can say I won one more game than Mario in a harder conf with a harder schedule lol. that is so sad
He had a better season but it’s not like he set the world on fire or showed coaching genius. He’s got a top 2-3 class and I think they clearly fixed their NIL issues and decided to pay what’s needed.

He had a better season but it’s not like he set the world on fire or showed coaching genius. He’s got a top 2-3 class and I think they clearly fixed their NIL issues and decided to pay what’s needed.
agreed just sad that they even had a better season. fwiw, i dont think they close with this great of a class either. i just dont think well end up with a top 5 class which was the expectation when we signed mario

Advertisement
Lagway=Richardson

See easy

Now I will say Mario has to be the only coach in America that can have a first round pick at QB, and it be used against him.

Literally happens to no one else. Have "renowned" QB coaches on twitter blasting Mario. National narrative is he is a QB killer. It's ridiculous imo

Herbert is considered an outlier in part because he was not only someone Mario inherited but he was already a full-blown starter for the last 8 games of his freshman year under Taggart, completing 63.5% of his passes with 19 TD's and only 4 INT's. Herbert was already an established commodity, not an unknown gem unearthed by Mario.

The problem is the blue-chip QB's Mario evaluated, recruited, and signed at Oregon all turned out to be colossal busts: Tyler Shough, Jay Butterfield, and Ty Thompson. Then he comes to Miami and after saying he didn't think there was a better QB in the country than the one he was inheriting in TVD, he proceeds to hire Josh Gattis and cripple our offense with the atrocity we all witnessed last season.

It's less that Herbert's being used against him and more that everything that's happened after Mario no longer had Herbert has exacerbated his perception as a QB killer. Some fans may not like it and they may disagree with it, but that negative recruiting pitch is clearly resonating with premier QB recruits who won't give us the time of day. If we end up with an Anthony Brown-esque portal QB next season, it'll be pretty clear why it's come to that.

Herbert is considered an outlier in part because he was not only someone Mario inherited but he was already a full-blown starter for the last 8 games of his freshman year under Taggart, completing 63.5% of his passes with 19 TD's and only 4 INT's. Herbert was already an established commodity, not an unknown gem unearthed by Mario.

The problem is the blue-chip QB's Mario evaluated, recruited, and signed at Oregon all turned out to be colossal busts: Tyler Shough, Jay Butterfield, and Ty Thompson. Then he comes to Miami and after saying he didn't think there was a better QB in the country than the one he was inheriting in TVD, he proceeds to hire Josh Gattis and cripple our offense with the atrocity we all witnessed last season.

It's less that Herbert's being used against him and more that everything that's happened after Mario no longer had Herbert has exacerbated his perception as a QB killer. Some fans may not like it and they may disagree with it, but that negative recruiting pitch is clearly resonating with premier QB recruits who won't give us the time of day. If we end up with an Anthony Brown-esque portal QB next season, it'll be pretty clear why it's come to that.
it helped that mario didnt ruin herbert when he took over the way TVD took a nose dive last year w a new offense.

Are we not allowed to see how the classes actually finish before we bury our coaches and bronze Billy's ****?

I believe my friend @RVACane's point is that this has very little to do with either coach. Mario can't force boosters to pay more for NIL, meanwhile Billy is riding on the coat tails of a completely revamped and restocked (following massive embarrassment) NIL collective.

In this new era, instead of an $8M HC, I think I'd prefer a $4M HC and an extra $4M in NIL money.

A lot of good points and questions. I don’t even know if we’re being outbid in every situation. We’re the leverage school. Get a miami offer and bring it to Ohio State to get them to up their deal.
This. Someone pointed out in another thread about being a software engineer and getting an equal offer from google or a startup.

Connecting the dots and seeing this stuff play out in front of our faces I think at this point we can reasonably see we aren't giving enough to sway the decisions of top tier elite talent vs the more proven commodity.

Advertisement
Back