2024 Jayden Jackson 4* DT from IMG is a Sooner

The dude hasn’t even started his second season and y’all ready to fire him haha.
6UFgdU9hirj1pAOJyN.gif

Advertisement
I realize a number of things. It’s not like you think with what recruits and their “agents” are using against us. We’re not the intended target. Their favorite schools are.

We’re being used as the boogeyman by kids to get their favorite schools to match us or get in the ballpark. It’s pretty obvious.

The difference is that last year we were ahead of the crowd and we were paying more than the crowd. Plus it was the bump class. Ruiz has his own issues with his company. I don’t expect his publicly traded company to be tanking and for him to still do what he was doing.

This year other schools have organized and adjusted, including market rates. We’re going to have to pay more than we’d like to land kids we really want. We need other boosters to meet that if we’re going to compete like we want.
We’re going to be the new Northwestern when we go to the BIG10

No because that’s not true for 24 beyond a couple players. We needed the NIL to be overwhelmingly good this cycle and it’s not. Other schools have better, more vast networks.
I don’t believe it’s entirely NIL $$$

We’re whale hunting for one of the most prized position groups in all of football - DL and most notably DT. We don’t have a recent history nor the reputation - yet - of developing D Lineman. So the only way to get those prized DL recruits is to outbid the big dogs.

Mario was able to get 2 prized OT’s - Maui and Pancake - last year because of his and Mirabel’s reputation for developing OL. Undoubtedly, those 2 could have gone elsewhere and gotten more $$$.

Until one of our coaches establishes themselves as a DL developer, we’ll have to outbid the big dogs to get whales at DL - especially DT

I don’t believe one - $$$ - is exclusive from the other - reputation of developing DL.

Here’s a scary thought: Whenever people discuss this recruiting class in here they always speculate about it “strengthening”, or going up, if we have a great season. I’ve also pondered the thought of how bad it could get, God forbid, if we have another 5-7, or 6-6 type season. Also, regarding NIL, so basically what I can gather is many of our boosters are giving up, or throwing in the towel because Mario had a bad first year? If true, that’s ridiculous. One year and they’ve given up already? Every coach deserves at least 3 years to show what they can do. Don’t compound the problem by tying his hands when it comes to recruiting.

I don’t think the numbers support that. A good majority of the top 300 kids are committed before a single game is played.

Now does that mean all of the ones that we are after? No.
Does it mean if we play well we can’t flip a few? No.

NIL has changed it so that most top level targets are locked up well before even half the season is over (again majority, not all).

The final thing, we saw it with Diaz multiple years and with Mario last year. The whole “as long as we have a good season we’re going to be great” thing hasn’t worked for us.

People are right, something fishy is going on with Miami recruiting and Occams Razor would probably have it be NIL. That doesn’t mean we’re broke, it just means we’re trying to be UGA, OSU, Bama but without their results.
Uhhh you do realize we haven't had a good season in 20 plus years right?

Advertisement
The dude hasn’t even started his second season and y’all ready to fire him haha.

Good lord let the man work. It takes 95% of programs at least 3 years to flip a roster unless you have the bankroll of a Bama, O$U, Georgia or something like that.

If you are that upset you want to fire a coach who just landed the best class Miami has signed in a long time and who hasn’t even coached game 1 of year 2 then it might be time to log off and go get some fresh air.
Think you interpreted that the wrong way. No sane person thinks he should be fired…

Manny made 3.1Ms at UM in 2021. Which was comparable with Duke, Colorado St, Boston College.
Mario made 8Ms at UM in 2022. Which was comparable with Norte Dame, LSU, Penn State.

So let’s stop with the “but the last few staffs couldn’t do this” sure and they were paid that way… Mario is being paid double, we should take better results as the floor.

You said having a good season "hasn't worked for us".

I guess I read it wrong. I thought you mean't we had a good season and still didn't get the top kids.

My bad
That was my point. We don’t have good seasons lol

We historically **** the bed every season. So relying on a good season to land recruits is like finding a tropical beach in the North Pole during winter. It ain’t happening

Advertisement
That was my point. We don’t have good seasons lol

We historically **** the bed every season. So relying on a good season to land recruits is like finding a tropical beach in the North Pole during winter. It ain’t happening
I agree but I really do think we're about to have a very good season. I think we finally have coaches with a pulse. 🤷‍♂️

Apparently not. They’re offering money and they’re offering what they think is market but it’s not enough. It’s already been said on here after Nebraska took Barney by one insider that they won’t overpay.

The gator won 6 games and recruited like **** last year and their NIL was terrible. This year their NIL is paying and Napier’s cleaning up. Do you really think Mario all of a sudden can’t recruit and sling blade Billy can recruit at an elite top 3 level???
Throwing this out there…. What if boosters and those close to the program knew the NIL money was never going to be on par with the elite of elite?
That’s why they hired a top 5 recruiter and gave him 8Ms a year. So he could convince kids to take less and create that bond… if it’s flat out “this dollar amount or Im not coming” then we should’ve hired someone else who brings more to the table on field.

I agree but I really do think we're about to have a very good season. I think we finally have coaches with a pulse. 🤷‍♂️
I respect that. It wouldn’t surprise me if we did. It also wouldn’t surprise me if we went 6-6.

For me though? Im done expecting or hoping for good seasons. Im in wait and see mode.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

When a certain poster said this......all they heard was..."cant recruit..and " Miami Bro".

*But this class isnt over and last class on paper was great. Need a real shot in the arm an to be working on flips and mining new guys. They really should be in on some of those Northwestern guys an getting them in the portal.

After losing this one ...they should be bringing in Nicholas at Norlan for a work out..He is above 300 pds now.

A guy i also liked who is about to commit somewhere soon or already has...but we could/should easily be able to flip is...

No way he should be headed to Stanford. We should be int he game there as he is from Canada and i think played at TVD's old school.

Kendall Jackson, David Stone and Jackson are about to come off the board...its time to open it more

TVD was not an Avon guy, the kid who went to Clemson was an Avon guy. Tyson Ihabenoideahowtospellhisname.

Canada used to be our thing so I see your point.

Think you interpreted that the wrong way. No sane person thinks he should be fired…

Manny made 3.1Ms at UM in 2021. Which was comparable with Duke, Colorado St, Boston College.
Mario made 8Ms at UM in 2022. Which was comparable with Norte Dame, LSU, Penn State.

So let’s stop with the “but the last few staffs couldn’t do this” sure and they were paid that way… Mario is being paid double, we should take better results as the floor.

I agree we need results for the money being out into Mario but we don’t have the money to hire 2million coordinators like the big schools. You have to keep that in mind as well. We got burned by gattis. Huge misstep. Then this time it seems we went cheap again. Saban is rolling with former NFL coaches as coordinators and ours are coming from lower level ball. You can’t expect Bama results until we spend money like Bama.

With that being said. Mario needs 8 wins this year. Bottom line. He has to show this is trending up. Year 1 are usually disasters for all head coaches go back and look at history. It’s year 2 and 3 you can really start to judge a coach and program trajectory.

Advertisement
I respect that. It wouldn’t surprise me if we did. It also wouldn’t surprise me if we went 6-6.

For me though? Im done expecting or hoping for good seasons. Im in wait and see mode.
I've been through the ups and downs of this program since the late 70's. But the last 20 years I've felt we've just decided average is the norm. I'm so sick of it and really hope Mario can turn it around. I've been saying for years the trenches is where UM was dominant when we we're really good. If Mario can build those and get a top QB we have a chance.

The NIL issue is a whole other issue.

Last edited:
Way more optimistic about Guidry than Dawson. Albeit it’s not lost on me that relative to Gattis he will look like Sean Payton.
I'm Giddy over Guirdy. LOL

After watching some Marshal games that D is fun as **** but disciplined in it's approach. It's great for someone like James Williams IMO. Plus those guys tackled so I'm hoping he can get our guys too.

Advertisement
Back