2024 Jayden Jackson 4* DT from IMG is a Sooner

Advertisement
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by these results. The writing was on the wall in the spring when the narrative was 'the team will look significantly different in the fall' and then after tons of elite WR whiffs it changed to 'Miami is happy with it's two deep.' We all should have known back then that something was seriously off.
What's the incentive for any elite player to come to Miami right now? NIL? Ok, but if other teams are offering the same NIL or more, what's the incentive? The all star staph failed miserably and then we moved to a staff of virtual nobodies. Outside of OL going in the first round Mario has nothing. If we're not willing to spend money like aTm did a couple years ago this will take a long time. I mean, even the coaching hires seemed cheap. Is that because those were the only dudes wiling to work for normal money?
Mario's had a pretty good track record with drafts on the defensive side of the ball too. Shockingly, his Oregon OL's haven't really been drafted how you'd think for a so-called Offensive Line guru.

Nonetheless, your points still stand.

We have to win 8 Games minimum, and most importantly, we can't get blown tf out in any losses.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by these results. The writing was on the wall in the spring when the narrative was 'the team will look significantly different in the fall' and then after tons of elite WR whiffs it changed to 'Miami is happy with it's two deep.' We all should have known back then that something was seriously off.
What's the incentive for any elite player to come to Miami right now? NIL? Ok, but if other teams are offering the same NIL or more, what's the incentive? The all star staph failed miserably and then we moved to a staff of virtual nobodies. Outside of OL going in the first round Mario has nothing. If we're not willing to spend money like aTm did a couple years ago this will take a long time. I mean, even the coaching hires seemed cheap. Is that because those were the only dudes wiling to work for normal money?

I think the surprise as to the DL is fair and warranted in light of the information conveyed. DL was supposed to be the focus of this class and where NIL money was being heavily allocated. We were told countless times c/o 2024 DL would be similar to c/o 2023 OL.

Struggles at QB, WR, and DB... that should have been expected. Maybe OL, too, but it was not unreasonable to expect Mario/Mirabal's names and record of development would carry weight, IMO.

I don’t know. I’m not talking to who I know about it. I’m piecing things together from what I’m seeing and a couple things I’ve been told.
LoL, Florida's class will start blowing up after Utah boat races them in Provo. And if Miami's class lands in the Top 10 by December isn't this July discussion a little premature?

Advertisement
Because this place is WAY too emotional right now. But you are correct in the sense that I need to just resign myself to sitting back and reading the information I want and not debating things with people. It’s a losing battle.
You’re a good poster and everyone is at each others neck. Reality right now is it looks bleak for recruiting. Saying let’s wait until December won’t change the issues right now even if December winds up being a success. I agree people are very emotional, myself included. It’s very frustrating being a fan of this program sometimes

If we weren’t fed the kool aid all January til June, none of us would be irate at how things are going. That’s the difference. People could have easily said “this class won’t be like Mario’s bump class, we’ll have to prove it on the field or schools have a target on our backs in regards to recruiting”. And when you questioned it, you were met with vehement ridicule and laughter…

Idk if it’s on the staff for not closing, or the money not being what we thought it was, or both…but it all circles back to the same thing.

Get. Elite. Recruits. No matter the cost, no matter the work. Results are necessary.

OPEN QUESTION:

In today's NIL, let's say Utah beats the Gheyter with both sides of the cactus.

Some of their whales decommit by Dec.

Upfront money lost or is upfront NIL provided once you sign LOI?

Advertisement
This. Someone pointed out in another thread about being a software engineer and getting an equal offer from google or a startup.

Connecting the dots and seeing this stuff play out in front of our faces I think at this point we can reasonably see we aren't giving enough to sway the decisions of top tier elite talent vs the more proven commodity.
And this is where last season puts us in a deeper hole. We have to really trounce some of these schools on the offer side to compete. It’s where a better season will help us in 25. Not because kids will line up for us but because we’ll pay less of a “We Suck Tax” to quote @TRick72

He had a better season but it’s not like he set the world on fire or showed coaching genius. He’s got a top 2-3 class and I think they clearly fixed their NIL issues and decided to overpay what’s needed.
Fixed it

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Because this place is WAY too emotional right now. But you are correct in the sense that I need to just resign myself to sitting back and reading the information I want and not debating things with people. It’s a losing battle.
That's a fair point. Everyone is on edge. We all want to win. I respect your patience. Truly I do.

If we weren’t fed the kool aid all January til June, none of us would be irate at how things are going. That’s the difference. People could have easily said “this class won’t be like Mario’s bump class, we’ll have to prove it on the field or schools have a target on our backs in regards to recruiting”. And when you questioned it, you were met with vehement ridicule and laughter…

Idk if it’s on the staff for not closing, or the money not being what we thought it was, or both…but it all circles back to the same thing.

Get. Elite. Recruits. No matter the cost, no matter the work. Results are necessary.
when youre the elite recruiting coach, you will be judged not on effort but on results. no excuses. plenty of time before the close so its all TBD (even for other schools who are doing well right now as it can flip in a moment).

Advertisement
Oklahoma signing a top DL class should not be a surprise. What was Venables known for at Clemson? Excellent defensive lines. I know Clemson’s two national title teams had Watson and Lawrence, but they also had a number of first round defensive lineman, defensive tackles. Miami has Phillips and Gregory Rousseau, but those are edge rushers. I don’t think Miami has had an elite defensive tackle in 20 years.

NIL is a big deal, no doubt, but like elite QBs and WRs I believe Miami is going to have to prove something on the field to attract elite DTs.

JMO.

I believe my friend @RVACane's point is that this has very little to do with either coach. Mario can't force boosters to pay more for NIL, meanwhile Billy is riding on the coat tails of a completely revamped and restocked (following massive embarrassment) NIL collective.

In this new era, instead of an $8M HC, I think I'd prefer a $4M HC and an extra $4M in NIL money.
100% but he wanted to be the cool miami bro fan and liken me to a Sling Blade Billy **** polisher for ******* points without even comprehending the discussion or even worse, ignoring it simply to be a prick.

@OrangeBowlMagic yeah you

And yet we brought in Harrell and Kirk. The team will look significantly different in the fall. That's a statement of fact. Look who did not participate in the spring game and who is most likely to start against Miami (Ohio).

We finished #7 is HS recruiting and #7 in portal acquisitions and #5 in portal acquisition average in 2023.

Advertisement

Again…. Perfectly stated

I’m sure 99.99% of Cis would also agree that if Mario isn’t roping top 10 classes each year he’s the most overpaid 8 mil coach in America given that is his one and only strong suit as a HC.

And yet we brought in Harrell and Kirk. The team will look significantly different in the fall. That's a statement of fact. Look who did not participate in the spring game and who is most likely to start against Miami (Ohio).

We finished #7 is HS recruiting and #7 in portal acquisitions and #5 in portal acquisition average in 2023.
harrell has never proven to be healthy his entire career. if he can do that for once, **** be a threat.

100% but he wanted to be the cool miami bro fan and liken me to a Sling Blade Billy **** polisher for ******* points without even comprehending the discussion or even worse, ignoring it simply to be a prick.

@OrangeBowlMagic yeah you

Ok I’ll rephrase.

Are we allowed to see where the classes finish before we bury our collectives and polish the ***** of uf’s collective?

Feel better?

LoL, Florida's class will start blowing up after Utah boat races them in Provo. And if Miami's class lands in the Top 10 by December isn't this July discussion a little premature?
I’m not so sure about all that anymore. I’ve been banking on the gator class blowing up but if they’re paying these guys top dollar and they decide to stick then that’s a huge deal for their future.

You can lol all you want. The recruiting clock has changed. July is the new December which was the new February. Most of these guys aren’t flipping.

Would you rather be sitting where we are right now or the gator? By the way, I still think we can land 5-6 blue chip guys and finish decently overall but we need to hit on almost all of:
Trader
Patterson
The UGA CB (Ellis?)
Franklin
A. Jones
Stewart
Breland

Advertisement
Back