Jason Candle Recruiting/ Player Development

Udynasty

Redshirt Freshman
We know Mario places a premium on recruiting. It seems Candle excels in both recruiting and player development. Considering he is viewed as a top offensive mind, the fact that he can recruit at a high level + develop players is a game changer compared to the other aformentioned candidates.

From his bio:

Jason Candle Recruiting:

Candle and the Rockets have been consistently excellent in adding talent to the program as each of Toledo’s last five recruiting classes have been ranked No. 1 in the Mid- American Conference by 247 Sports.

Recruiting excellence is nothing new for Candle, who has a long history of recruiting success. As an assistant coach, Candle was regularly mentioned among the nation’s top recruiters, including being nationally recognized by Rivals in 2010. He was one of only nine coaches in the country from Group of Five conferences to be named to the list and the only coach from the MAC. Candle also was named the Mid-American Conference “Recruiter of the Year” by http://Scout.com in both 2011 and 2012. Toledo’s 2011 recruiting class was ranked No. 1 in the MAC by both Scout and Rivals. In 2014, Candle was named one of only two MAC assistants to be named among the top recruiters in the Group of Five conferences by Rivals.

Candle’s first recruiting class as Toledo’s head coach in 2016 was rated No. 2 in the MAC by http://ESPN.com despite the fact that he assumed the head coaching job just two months before Signing Day. Even more impressive is the fact that all but two of Candle’s assistant coaches were new to the program during the critical final two months of the recruiting season.

Jason Candle Player Development:

Going back to his days at Mount Union, Candle has had a tremendous track record of mentoring players who have gone on to play in the NFL. A total of 25 players who Candle coaches as either and assistant or head coach made it to the professional ranks.

At Mount Union, Candle coached a pair of receivers Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts, who had outstanding NFL careers. Garcon played 11 seasons in the NFL with Indianapolis, Washington and San Francisco. He caught 628 passes, including an NFL-best 113 for the Redskins in 2013. Shorts had 229 receptions in six NFL seasons.

Candle has coached 23 Rockets who have made it to the NFL, including six who were selected in the NFL Draft between 2017-19. Kareem Hunt (Kansas City-third round), Michael Roberts (Detroit-fourth round) and Treyvon Hester (Oakland-seventh round) were all selected in the 2017 draft. Logan Woodside (Cincinnati-seventh round) was taken in 2018, while Diontae Johnson (Pittsburgh-third round) and Ka’dar Hollman (Green Bay-sixth round) were selected in the 2019 draft. Hunt led the NFL in rushing with 1,327 yards as a rookie in 2017. Johnson caught 59 passes as a rookie for the Steelers in 2019 and was named All-Pro second-team as a punt returner. In 2020, Johnson caught 88 passes with seven TD receptions, while Hunt rushed for 841 yards for the Cleveland Browns.

imagine when he has access to our level if athletes

Advertisement
Really impressive recruiting track record.

Certainly with him, Mario, Trob, BMac, and whoever DC is we will be in business

Any recruiting you can get from him is a bonus. He’s never recruited at the P5 level so I take his results at Toledo with a grain of salt. But that’s OK. The staff is loaded with recruiters. I’m more concerned with his scheme, game plans and play calling. All of which have been successful for a decade. He’ll be given the weapons, it’s his job to deploy them correctly

Advertisement
Advertisement
We know Mario places a premium on recruiting. It seems Candle excels in both recruiting and player development. Considering he is viewed as a top offensive mind, the fact that he can recruit at a high level + develop players is a game changer compared to the other aformentioned candidates.

From his bio:

Jason Candle Recruiting:

Candle and the Rockets have been consistently excellent in adding talent to the program as each of Toledo’s last five recruiting classes have been ranked No. 1 in the Mid- American Conference by 247 Sports.

Recruiting excellence is nothing new for Candle, who has a long history of recruiting success. As an assistant coach, Candle was regularly mentioned among the nation’s top recruiters, including being nationally recognized by Rivals in 2010. He was one of only nine coaches in the country from Group of Five conferences to be named to the list and the only coach from the MAC. Candle also was named the Mid-American Conference “Recruiter of the Year” by http://Scout.com in both 2011 and 2012. Toledo’s 2011 recruiting class was ranked No. 1 in the MAC by both Scout and Rivals. In 2014, Candle was named one of only two MAC assistants to be named among the top recruiters in the Group of Five conferences by Rivals.

Candle’s first recruiting class as Toledo’s head coach in 2016 was rated No. 2 in the MAC by http://ESPN.com despite the fact that he assumed the head coaching job just two months before Signing Day. Even more impressive is the fact that all but two of Candle’s assistant coaches were new to the program during the critical final two months of the recruiting season.

Going back to his days at Mount Union, Candle has had a tremendous track record of mentoring players who have gone on to play in the NFL. A total of 25 players who Candle coaches as either and assistant or head coach made it to the professional ranks.

At Mount Union, Candle coached a pair of receivers Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts, who had outstanding NFL careers. Garcon played 11 seasons in the NFL with Indianapolis, Washington and San Francisco. He caught 628 passes, including an NFL-best 113 for the Redskins in 2013. Shorts had 229 receptions in six NFL seasons.

Candle has coached 23 Rockets who have made it to the NFL, including six who were selected in the NFL Draft between 2017-19. Kareem Hunt (Kansas City-third round), Michael Roberts (Detroit-fourth round) and Treyvon Hester (Oakland-seventh round) were all selected in the 2017 draft. Logan Woodside (Cincinnati-seventh round) was taken in 2018, while Diontae Johnson (Pittsburgh-third round) and Ka’dar Hollman (Green Bay-sixth round) were selected in the 2019 draft. Hunt led the NFL in rushing with 1,327 yards as a rookie in 2017. Johnson caught 59 passes as a rookie for the Steelers in 2019 and was named All-Pro second-team as a punt returner. In 2020, Johnson caught 88 passes with seven TD receptions, while Hunt rushed for 841 yards for the Cleveland Browns.

Mario loves guys that can recruit first!

Don't mind Candle...And love his pedigree as Campbell is a beast

But it must be said Toledo has come back down to earth the last 2-3 seasons after being top 2-3 in MAC forever. It's now more like an interchangeable top 5.

I haven’t opened the mega thread to read one post. I said I was gonna wait until an OC was officially announced before I got caught up in every little rumor. That being said, I hope Campbell is the guy and I hope it gets done soon. I think he’d great.

Advertisement

From his bio:

Jason Candle Recruiting:

That is very impressive to say the least. I have always stated that with a staff full of elite recruiters including the head coach that both coordinators should be excellent X's and O's guys and I stand by that. Obviously, Jason Candle is a fantastic X's and O's coach but his ability to recruit at a high level and his track record of coaching up and developing players makes Candle a Grand Slam hire if he is hired. I like the idea of Candle as our OC more and more each day. Please let this happen so we can get off of this ride!

Any recruiting you can get from him is a bonus. He’s never recruited at the P5 level so I take his results at Toledo with a grain of salt. But that’s OK. The staff is loaded with recruiters. I’m more concerned with his scheme, game plans and play calling. All of which have been successful for a decade. He’ll be given the weapons, it’s his job to deploy them correctly
Exactly 💯

I haven’t opened the mega thread to read one post. I said I was gonna wait until an OC was officially announced before I got caught up in every little rumor. That being said, I hope Campbell is the guy and I hope it gets done soon. I think he’d great.
Yeah, a lot of positive responses on Candle as an OC.

Advertisement
If he is always getting the #1 class, why are his teams losing so much?
Some guys may be stud coordinators but not that as the Head Coach. He was Matt Campbell’s OC at Toledo before Campbell left for Iowa State. He seems to have done OK as a HC but as an OC, with only that to focus on, he should shine here.

From his bio:

Jason Candle Recruiting:

How can you say he is great at recruiting and developing when he gets beat by G5 teams on a regular basis? That would mean his Xs and Os is questionable and that is what we are hiring him as(an OC). Do we really want an OC who can't beat teams that he has massive talent advantages over?

How can you say he is great at recruiting and developing when he gets beat by G5 teams on a regular basis? That would mean his Xs and Os is questionable and that is what we are hiring him as(an OC). Do we really want an OC who can't beat teams that he has massive talent advantages over?
his defense sucks

Advertisement
Back