Jason Candle Recruiting/ Player Development

Yeah, at this point just do whatever it takes to get Briles. The Kent St guy is OK too with me, but this long drawn out process is no longer secret and is going to just be a bad look if it drags on.
Honestly, and I get being thorough, I really do. But that being said, for me it's always been like this:
  • You reach out to Brady and make him an offer. If he wants to wait on the NFL or you get the sense that he'd take the job here and then jump in a month if an NFL offer came along, you move on.
  • Briles would be my next choice and I don't think there's any reason we couldn't offer him a package to get him to commit for two years. If he does his job well here, with TVD and Garcia, in two years he's probably back in the SEC with a HC job. He knows how to run the ball and excels at it. He's been doing it at the P5 level for years, he puts up numbers, what more is there to want?
Now I'm concerned that Briles may feel backed into a corner with that "declined the offer" stunt he pulled last night when it looked like Candle was going to take the job. If he was our backup and now backs out because we let him feel like sloppy seconds, we could end up in a tough spot from a strength of negotiating position standpoint pretty quick.

Advertisement
But he's correct in this case. If you have the better talent (and Toledo has been #1 or #2 in recruiting for years in the MAC) and consistently lose to inferior teams, what does that say about your coaching and coordinating? Are you saying there's no correlation?
Lincoln Riley loses to teams each year with inferior talent, would you not want him as OC?

1642624579766.gif

And just like that…. It’s over !

View attachment 173277
And just like that…. It’s over !
Yesterday, I wrote extensively why it made no sense for Candle to be the OC at Miami and I got roasted by hundreds of our irrational fanbase.

Candle would have been a great addition, but it didn't make sense for him in my opinion.

Candle is a head coach in a conference that is the coaching farm system for P5 schools. He's going to be a P5 coach one day. It made no sense for him to go to Miami or any other school to be an OC when he'll get a P5 head coaching job whenever he wins his MAC division or a MAC title.

Coaches all across the country are starting preparation for Spring football practices. I don't know where Mario goes from here. It's way late in the game to find quality coaches willing to leave now because they would be burning bridges with their current coaches. He may have to dip down to a G5 or FCS coach for the OC job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
@Memnon what is his scheme?
He runs the Mount Union Spread, with Pistol adaptations depending on personnel.

He comes from the DIII Mount Union Dynasty that has produced a bunch of Coaches under the legend Larry Kehres.
Larry basically took the Ohio HS Offense that he learned & developed from Ken Wable & evolved it over time to adjust to the kind of athletes he would be recruiting locally in the region.

Nick Sirianni, Matt Campbell, Alex Grinch, Ed Warner & Jason Candle all played & coached under Larry K.

Candle’s system is really dependent upon who he has at QB, for instance; this previous season his QB was more mobile & not really that much arm talent, so he ran a more Spread-Option Pistol that incorporates QB Option runs. His QB this season DeQuan Finn only had 2,260yds passing off 315 attempts, but also 130 rushes for 631yds, but back in 2017 when we played Toledo & he had a kid like Logan Woodside they threw the ball a lot more & played with a lot more 4/5-wide sets.

Last year they played mostly 12 & 11 personnel, but when Woodside was there they ran a lot of 10, 2 & 1.

Advertisement

He comes from the DIII Mount Union Dynasty that has produced a bunch of Coaches under the legend Larry Kehres.
Larry basically took the Ohio HS Offense that he learned & developed from Ken Wable & evolved it over time to adjust to the kind of athletes he would be recruiting locally in the region.

Nick Sirianni, Matt Campbell, Alex Grinch, Ed Warner & Jason Candle all played & coached under Larry K.

Candle’s system is really dependent upon who he has at QB, for instance; this previous season his QB was more mobile & not really that much arm talent, so he ran a more Spread-Option Pistol that incorporates QB Option runs. His QB this season DeQuan Finn only had 2,260yds passing off 315 attempts, but also 130 rushes for 631yds, but back in 2017 when we played Toledo & he had a kid like Logan Woodside they threw the ball a lot more & played with a lot more 4/5-wide sets.

Last year they played mostly 12 & 11 personnel, but when Woodside was there they ran a lot of 10, 2 & 1.
Wow, so basically he adapts to what he has? What a rare trait.

How is his pace and space?

An offensive coordinator who adapts his play calling and system depending on the strengths of his players, in particular his QB?
Sir, it had been my understanding that's simply not allowed in football.

your post tells me that he is willing to and does adapt to his personnel.

Advertisement
Sounds like he didn’t have a QB last year 👀

I watched a little bit of their game against OSU this past season. They got whooped as OSU did whatever they wanted to do on offense but Toleo started off hot and the QB was their entire offense using his legs and improvising with big plays deep after scrambling around some. He was not a passer, just a big athlete playing QB. Like LCE said, Anthony Brown-esque.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I watched a little bit of their game against OSU this past season. They got whooped as OSU did whatever they wanted to do on offense but Toleo started off hot and the QB was their entire offense using his legs and improvising with big plays deep after scrambling around some. He was not a passer, just a big athlete playing QB. Like LCE said, Anthony Brown-esque.

The more I hear “adapts” the better my ears feel.

The more I hear “Anthony Brown” the more I appreciate noise cancelling AirPods…

LCE is a gift to this board.

Advertisement
Back