Jarrid Williams part Tres

I think y'all are overrating him quite a bit...but without question, he's a plug n play starter for us on either side...but I don't see a bunch of upside here. If we can get some HM All-Conference play from him I'd be clapping it up like Larry Coker.

Advertisement
I think y'all are overrating him quite a bit...but without question, he's a plug n play starter for us on either side...but I don't see a bunch of upside here. If we can get some HM All-Conference play from him I'd be clapping it up like Larry Coker.
I mean he would be the best lineman we have... So it's more appreciating his presence to the MAX.

How do the people that post the ...... “if he wanted Baylor he would have already committed to them and is just waiting for Miami to get him in” know this is actually the real story?

I see people posting and repeating / adopting this as true but what is the legitimate basis for that statement? Something Ivins or Ferman or another moderator wrote? A few crystal balls predicting Miami? An opinion or guess by someone that really and truly knows him and what he wants to do? An interview with the kid? Haven’t seen where the player either said or hinted to that effect.

Baylor fans could be saying the same thing .... If the kid was going to pick Miami he would’ve already done so and is waiting for Baylor to get him in.

Hopefully he comes here; just curious about the above.

Advertisement
Advertisement
How do the people that post the ...... “if he wanted Baylor he would have already committed to them and is just waiting for Miami to get him in” know this is actually the real story?

I see people posting and repeating / adopting this as true but what is the legitimate basis for that statement? Something Ivins or Ferman or another moderator wrote? A few crystal balls predicting Miami? An opinion or guess by someone that really and truly knows him and what he wants to do? An interview with the kid? Haven’t seen where the player either said or hinted to that effect.

Baylor fans could be saying the same thing .... If the kid was going to pick Miami he would’ve already done so and is waiting for Baylor to get him in.

Hopefully he comes here; just curious about the above.
Because it's logic & common sense.

There's no hold up for him to prolong an announcement to Baylor, his old HS coach in on staff at Baylor & it's an in-state school, plus there's no hurdle to jump over with admissions, if he wanted to go to Baylor logic tells you the decision would've been made much sooner due to the proximity & familarity with the program.

The fact he's been said to have announced his decision multiple times with the date being extended each time points to a kid waiting until all T's are crossed & all i's dotted in an attempt to get into Miami's Grad program.

If he were going to Baylor it's a smoother transition with no hold up, therefore a quicker decision, the hold up on his announcement makes sense if he's coming to Miami do to us as a program having to do a little maneuvering in order to get him in without any issues.

Sometimes you blow smoke, brother. What do you want me to say? I call it just like I see it. Is it not enough I said he's a plug n play starter and possible HM All-Conference Player?
False, I never blow smoke, I give my opinion based on what I see & what I know.

But you're making the same argument you made towards King with the supposed huge disparity between G5 & P5 football.

Not arguing with you, you're entitled to your opinion, it's just hilarious that you essentially have the same opinion on both King & Jarrid simply because they played at Houston.

False, I never blow smoke, I give my opinion based on what I see & what I know.

But you're making the same argument you made towards King with the supposed huge disparity between G5 & P5 football.

Not arguing with you, you're entitled to your opinion, it's just hilarious that you essentially have the same opinion on both King & Jarrid simply because they played at Houston.

I think its a bigger jump than you give it credit for. I don't have the same opinion...I'm higher on King, obviously.

I would have given a bigger breakdown now that he's basically coming, but honestly, I think @Lance Roffers already covered it. From an analytical standpoint, he's a mid-tier D1 starting tackle at the G5 level. Our tackles are so sorry that that slides right in as a starter here these days. I'm hoping he can be a mid-tier P5 tackle and with a good season can be in the discussion for some All-Conference votes. More hopeful than sure though.

If this were NCAA14, it'd be like getting a nice 78/80 OVR RT when your other options are 70 and 68 OVR.

Advertisement
If the jump was that big then how on Earth do G5 guys manage to get drafted to the NFL?

Football is Football, yes there is more talent, better run programs & better overall players in the P5's than the G5's but it's not like G5 schools are D2 or JUCO.

And I never said Jarrid is some elite caliber OT that will be a 1st team All-ACC, I think he's a good pass protector that will be head & shoulders better than any Tackle we have on roster this year due to his experience, size & scheme fit in Lashlee's offense. Our OT's have been so far below average that it's an upgrade to get a mid-tier G5 Tackle, because trust me not one of our OT's would start for any legitimate P5 program in the country except ours.

I said in the OP his run blocking needs work, if I was blowing smoke I wouldn't have even mentioned it, I didn't eval him as a perfect player, I evaled him as a definite upgrade at either Tackle spot because I'll take him ALL DAY over another season of Zion starting or having a nightmare scenario like Herbert actually getting starter snaps.

FSU, Baylor, Ole Miss & USC all inquired & sought to get him on their team, so multiple P5 OL coaches seem to think he's good enough.

Firstly, we basically have the same opinion on the guy.

However, to the bold...2020 Draft...basically 20% of the draft was non-P5 guys. Perhaps an anomalous year, but G5, FCS, D2, D3 only being 20%-ish is pretty low and basically demonstrates the jump from those levels to P5. There are some good individual players here n there (the AAC more than most), but the overall level of competition game-to-game, snap-to-snap is pretty significant, even in a weak division like the ACC Coastal, IMO. Most players won't play UP in a transfer situation. There are some outliers here n there like everything, but playing up is very rare.

Will this pick up allow scaife to slide inside? Or is he still our next best tackle?

For my money, Scaife is still the next best tackle, but I think they see him as a guard.

Scaife allowed 23 pressures on 521 pass snaps, for a percentage of 4.4%. Higher than Jarrid, but also against much better competition.

.4% sounds like a small amount, but against 4% that is a 10% increase in pressure. Seeing pressure at a 10% higher rate (not percentage points), is not insignificant. Adding this kid and Scaife at the other T solidifies our line in my mind to at least P5 average. Studies show that terrible (bottom 10%) OL performance is far more hurtful than great (top 10%) OL performance helps. The point is, just try to get five OL who are average at the same time and you will have a very good OL.

Advertisement
Sup

39328AC9-C401-46DB-9373-1F56AEADB24D.png

@El.......not only do I want him here, he could be the final piece to put this offense on full throttle.

@El.......not only do I want him here, he could be the final piece to put this offense on full throttle.

hahahaha what? This dude is going to make this offense full throttle?

this offense still has an average center, average guards and then Scaife on the line.

average WR with none of them showing they are elite. Solid RB but no superstar. Brevin is the only guy on our offense that will be drafted in the first 3 rounds in the NFL. This team still lacks elite talent.

Advertisement
Back