Jarren Williams named starter; Diaz, Williams share thoughts

Advertisement
Guys just be patient with Jarren. He might not get it right away, but I suspect at some point in the game it will click for him and he will begin to be the QB we were looking for. I think the first 3 drives might be a bit ugly, but it will eventually get better.

Kinda checked out after the season so not to obsessively follow the offseason and have preconceived thoughts. I haven't been following the position battles and thought Kosi would win. But I think this guy is talented and the coaches want someone who can run the operation efficiently and do what's the need to be done on every play. It's been a while since we have had that. Its game prep time and we have no time to waste anymore.

Advertisement
Thought for sure it would be Tate but I'm good with the kid. I like pass first QBs that can throw from the pocket. They are the types that won us five 5 NCs. What to see him hit those TEs in the middle and endzone like the good ole days. Keeps the safeties up and opens up the deep ball, also keeps them out of the box and helps the run. Brand new QB with no tape for gator to study, I like that.

Advertisement

From Jarren's dad:

“I think what Jarren was looking for is he wanted to compete; my hats off to coach [Manny] Diaz,” Anthony Williams said by phone. “He created an environment where it’s about competing; no matter what classification you’re in, the best player will play. That’s the message for all recruits.

“Jarren felt he didn’t have an opportunity to compete last year. He felt [otherwise] this year. All he wanted was an opportunity [to compete].”

Anthony Williams said he’s “very, very proud of Jarren. He’s been very diligent in the offseason, working out, training. He really took the challenge and has always been about the team. In order to get the team better, he had to make himself better.”

Williams said he was most impressed by his son’s work ethic.

“He would get up at 7 in the morning to train and come back home at 3 or 4,” Anthony Williams said, saying he not only worked on his body all offseason but specifically worked on the things that offensive coordinator Dan Enos “wanted him to work on with his lower body. He was just committed.”

Williams did that work during both the time he spent in Miami and the time he spent in the Atlanta area where his parents live.

Also credit Williams for sticking around when Tate Martell transferred here.

“He’s fine,” Williams’ father told me that January day. “He’s committed to being there. It has never been an issue with competition with Jarren. The cream always rises to the top.”

Last edited:
I hope to god Florida does try to blitz the **** out of Jarren... I dare Florida to leave our receivers in one on one coverage.... Jarren will have a freaking field day on them...
Agree and with enos spread coast offense we’re gonna have them spread out so wide with formations and routes that all there gonna have in the box is five guys and one of them is a LB. if that LB blitzes and leaves the middle of the field open for our TE and slots guys, then good luck gaytor. And if they try to bring a CB on a blitz which puts a safety on Jeff Thomas or one of our other burners at WR, then again, good luck gaytor. Grantham is trash and only knows how to blitz, your figure out those blitzes and he’s dead man in the water because he has nothing else, no adjustments or anything.

From Jarren's dad:

“I think what Jarren was looking for is he wanted to compete; my hats off to coach [Manny] Diaz,” Anthony Williams said by phone. “He created an environment where it’s about competing; no matter what classification you’re in, the best player will play. That’s the message for all recruits.

“Jarren felt he didn’t have an opportunity to compete last year. He felt [otherwise] this year. All he wanted was an opportunity [to compete].”

Anthony Williams said he’s “very, very proud of Jarren. He’s been very diligent in the offseason, working out, training. He really took the challenge and has always been about the team. In order to get the team better, he had to make himself better.”

“He would get up at 7 in the morning to train and come back home at 3 or 4,” Anthony Williams said, saying he not only worked on his body all offseason but specifically worked on the things that offensive coordinator Dan Enos “wanted him to work on with his lower body. He was just committed.”

Williams did that work during both the time he spent in Miami and the time he spent in the Atlanta area where his parents live.

“He’s fine,” Williams’ father told me that January day. “He’s committed to being there. It has never been an issue with competition with Jarren. The cream always rises to the top.”

Gators coach Dan Mullen, preparing for UF’s Aug. 24 opener against UM in Orlando, took the news in stride.

“They said Jarren Williams; we’ll look at him,” Mullen said at a press conference Monday. “He hasn’t played a lot. None of their guys have played a lot, so it’s not like, ‘Let’s go study this guy.’ I have no idea what Manny and Dan are planning to do with the offense. He hasn’t played a lot. I think we were recruiting him at Mississippi State. I knew about him. We know him a little bit, but that’s a couple years ago.”

The cream always rises to the top!

Advertisement
Gators coach Dan Mullen, preparing for UF’s Aug. 24 opener against UM in Orlando, took the news in stride.

“They said Jarren Williams; we’ll look at him,” Mullen said at a press conference Monday. “He hasn’t played a lot. None of their guys have played a lot, so it’s not like, ‘Let’s go study this guy.’ I have no idea what Manny and Dan are planning to do with the offense. He hasn’t played a lot. I think we were recruiting him at Mississippi State. I knew about him. We know him a little bit, but that’s a couple years ago.”

Advertisement
You can put Williams, Tate or K'osi behind the center and it will make no real difference if the offensive line has not improved dramatically over last year's version.
Your point has been made a million times already. We got it. No need to ever mention it again.

From Jarren's dad:

pretty much confirms what we all thought- jarren didn't take not feeling like he got a fair shot last year well, but as soon as it became clear he'd get one this year, he buckled down and went to work, even with a high profile transfer coming in to steal the limelight. love to see it!

Somebody guard Publix?

LOL! This jw15 just doesnt talk right for me, WTH is this, " i feel like im a tough guy", well you are about to find b out, i just want to see how he responds once he gets blasted. One things for certain, they recruited rea well on defensewhen coach shannon was over their!

From JW freshman 15 to the big time! Kid showed heart and got his mind right. Can’t argue with that.

Advertisement
Back