Jarren Williams named starter; Diaz, Williams share thoughts

On the other hand, if lil Wrecked wasn't here to begin with and we had a real OC, we wouldn't have been in that position.

lil Jon richt supposedly talked him into to staying, probably the best thing he’s done while being the qb coach

Advertisement
if they blitz often that'll be a big mistake because one on ones with our WRs TEs and RBs is exactly what we want

Yeah I’d be way more worried if Florida sends 3-4 and gets pressure and baits Jarren than if they decide to blitz. The offense is built so the QB is making reads before the snap and their is always an outlet. Florida forcing the offense to checkdown to backs or tight ends or run quick hitters benefits the offense.

My bigger worry is Florida getting pressure with 3-4 guys and then playing coverage.

Agree but with Williams startin his first game I would imagine they’ll be sending pressure to try and shake him early. Imagine Enos will have safety valves worked in to the game plan to get him comfortable.
I hope to god Florida does try to blitz the **** out of Jarren... I dare Florida to leave our receivers in one on one coverage.... Jarren will have a freaking field day on them...

Image result for standing O gif

Advertisement
1st Manny and Dan are racist.
2nd I am so disappointed they did not listen to the boosters
3rd They are on the hot seat
4th I can’t watch Miami football any longer because the guy I wanted on the team I love didn’t win.

Did I do it right?
You could have added the abysmal 2-10 record you expect since we made the wrong decision.

But kudos anyway.

I could care less who won the QB competition. My main preoccupation is the Florida game. The team should improve each week thereafter and will be cresting during the final 9 games of the season. [People kept saying that Williams' "off the field" comportment could prevent him from starting. My guess is that he did not know the playbook as well as Tate. Pure conjecture, though.]

Advertisement
The talent on offense is there, we need someone at the QB position who can consistently get the ball to our playmakers. I think/hope Williams can be that guy

We also need an OL coach that can turn this OL into something that can allow that to happen...hoping Barry dat guy.

UM

Advertisement
I would argue if they were all “close” Williams wouldn’t have won out over the other two’s experience. I think coaches feel he is much better than the other two today and in the future.
I don't read that at all. I think it was closer than most believe. They all had limitations (each different). Selecting Williams makes me think they were taking the long view. Bite the bullet so to speak, and go with the QB that long term matches what they want even if it costs us in the short term. After UF, the schedule sets up to give him a chance to grow into the position.

You can put Williams, Tate or K'osi behind the center and it will make no real difference if the offensive line has not improved dramatically over last year's version.
Even the exact same o-line, with better play calling suited to not exposing the o-line weaknesses, and a QB that can make quick checkdowns, and it would be a HUGE difference.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Competition is one of the cornerstones of The New Miami and the most highly anticipated position battle of fall camp finally has a victor.

Head coach Manny Diaz announced Monday that redshirt freshman Jarren Williams will be the Hurricanes’ starting quarterback when the season begins against Florida on Aug. 24. Williams earned the starting nod over redshirt sophomores N’Kosi Perry and Tate Martell.

“All three guys showed tremendous improvement and development, which is a credit to their hard work and the work of Dan Enos and his offensive staff,” Diaz said. “We believe we can win with all three guys, however, we feel like Jarren has the greatest upside due to his passing ability, his instincts and his determination.

“As we move into preparation for the Florida game we will continue the competition to determine who will serve as the backup quarterback.”

Williams will be the first starting quarterback of the Diaz Era, accomplishing a goal he set for himself years ago.

“It means the world,” Williams said. “This is something that I’ve always strived for growing up. It’s been my dream since I was a kid. When I was six years old, I used to sit in front of the TV and watch Michael Vick play. That’s a dream I have always had and I’ve strived for it. Having the opportunity to lead this team is the opportunity of a lifetime and I am going to take full advantage of it.”

After playing in just one game as a true freshman a year ago, the 2019 season will be the first chance the college football world will truly get to see Williams in action. The former U.S. Army All-American and consensus four-star recruit described what he brings to an offense as a starting quarterback.

“I feel like I’m an elite passer,” Williams said. “I can make all the throws, even in tight windows. What a lot of people don’t know is that I can extend plays with my feet. I’m not a slow guy. I can tuck the ball and get 15 yards. I can make a guy miss, but I am a pass-first guy. I stand in the pocket and trust the pocket and get the ball to my receivers.”

Williams completed one of his three pass attempts against Savannah State in his collegiate debut, tallying 17 passing yards and a one-yard rushing touchdown against the Tigers. But Diaz believes his starting quarterback has grown exponentially since last season.

“Obviously Jarren is a gifted passer,” Diaz said. “He has learned, I think, the maturity that comes with being the starting quarterback at a place like Miami. He is becoming more and more comfortable with the offense. I think Jarren, also, is a guy that hit 20 miles per hour [running] this summer. Jarren is a better athlete than, I think, people give him credit for – all the reasons he was recruited to come here in the first place.”

New offensive coordinator Dan Enos brought in a new offensive system and has worked tirelessly with all of Miami’s quarterbacks since January. Williams feels he has improved greatly under Enos’ tutelage and he is hungry to get even better.

“I think I’ve progressed a lot under coach Enos,” Williams said. “Being able to go out there and get meaningful reps with the 1s and really get the speed of the game down and get chemistry together is so important. I feel like it is night and day if you watched from the spring until now. I feel like I have gotten a lot better, but my goal is perfection and I am still striving for that.”

Competition has been fierce in fall camp, with all three quarterbacks trying to prove themselves worthy of being named the starter. Williams has had plenty of highlights, but he is more focused on eliminating errors from practice to practice.

“I feel like I’ve been doing a good job,” Williams said. “Of course I have mistakes here and there. But my main thing is learning from it, going back and watching what I did wrong and fixing mistakes so I don’t make the same mistakes next time.”

A starting quarterback is much more than just a passer. He is a leader of the offense and of the entire team. His attitude will set the tone for a team. In addition to his physical gifts, Williams believes he has what it takes to be the starting quarterback at Miami.

“I feel like I’m a tough guy,” Williams said. “I have passion. I feel like I have the intangibles to really be that guy.”

While the battle for the starting quarterback job is over, Williams is just getting started with his hard work and preparation. The Lawrenceville, Ga., native wants to ensure that he excels as the leader of the Hurricanes’ offense.

“You’ve got one shot and when I get my shot, I’m going to be prepared for it,” Williams said. “When I get the opportunity, I am going to make sure I do what I do.”

****...he was watching Michael Vick play when he was a kid? I'm old as a mufugga...

Advertisement
There are two great interviews with Jarren's High School coach and Quincy Avery on 247 and Rivals. It sounds to me like Jarren felt he was leading for the job before the scrimmage this past weekend. He knew it was the opportunity to really wrap it up.

And for those who thought he slacked at some point, it seems he was working with Avery at every opportunity when he went home during the summer . Avery mentioned specifically time spent on Jarren's footwork and eye placement that will allow him to maintain better balance, and be able to use the entire field, which is something Enos' offense looks to do. I know I just really over simplified what was said but the point is he put the work in on what Enos told him to do. Avery went on to say he can see the growth in Williams as a player on and off the field since he arrived at Miami. He said that DeShaun Watson some other pro guys who train with him spoke with Jarren and gave him some advice on earning and keeping the starting job. Really good reads.

I think the safe pick was either Tate or N'Kosi

Going with Jarren to me says something --- they love his upside.

I'm with this gamble, try and go big here, too many offensive weapons to have them squandered

There are two great interviews with Jarren's High School coach and Quincy Avery on 247 and Rivals. It sounds to me like Jarren felt he was leading for the job before the scrimmage this past weekend. He knew it was the opportunity to really wrap it up.

And for those who thought he slacked at some point, it seems he was working with Avery at every opportunity when he went home during the summer . Avery mentioned specifically time spent on Jarren's footwork and eye placement that will allow him to maintain better balance, and be able to use the entire field, which is something Enos' offense looks to do. I know I just really over simplified what was said but the point is he put the work in on what Enos told him to do. Avery went on to say he can see the growth in Williams as a player on and off the field since he arrived at Miami. He said that DeShaun Watson some other pro guys who train with him spoke with Jarren and gave him some advice on earning and keeping the starting job. Really good reads.
Yep just was gonna post some snippets from thr article

Advertisement
Back