Jarren Williams HS Coach

Our defense ranked 75th in 3rd down efficiency last year. The turnovers were nice, but we need to stop acting like our defense was all world when teams like Ga Tech, Duke and Virginia had better statistical defenses. We should’ve shut out Syracuse and UNC, yet we gave up about 400 yards of offense to both. The mentality that our defense was the only reason we won last year is the biggest myth on this forum.

Overall defense was slightly above average with turnovers being their best statistic. It's kind of hard to crap on the defense when they have to play 3/4th of the game on the field.

Advertisement
Overall defense was slightly above average with turnovers being their best statistic. It's kind of hard to crap on the defense when they have to play 3/4th of the game on the field.

Maybe they wouldn’t be on the field so much if they made a stop on 3rd down once in awhile.

The defense was not an elite defense last year but they were at least near the top in several statistical categories. The offense was middle of the road or worse in every statistical category. There's certainly room for improvement on D but the offense was generally mediocre all around the whole season. Major improvements are needed.

The defense was not an elite defense last year but they were at least near the top in several statistical categories. The offense was middle of the road or worse in every statistical category. There's certainly room for improvement on D but the offense was generally mediocre all around the whole season. Major improvements are needed.
Love Diaz's Tenacity....But that Blitzing 2,000 times a game without any disguises needs to calm tf down....and on Off...I'd love to see our WRs in motion once in a blue moon....

Advertisement
Former Miami hurricane kelvin harris had an interesting comment on the big 3rollup. Apparently he talks with players on the team and he alluded to Perry next up to start Fwiw

Define “near the top”. VT, GT, and Duke all had better total defenses than us. Why didn’t they win the coastal?

Some of you guys forget this team went days/weeks without practice last year and then didn't have a bye. Yet in hindsight we should've been blowing out all of our opponents.
Don’t be coy and stupid. The details were in the pudding last season. Rosier was awful and his 3rd down conversion % was an atrocious 25%. If he wins the job then I will support him but for right now we can wish for someone different. Hopefully he does lead us to the promised land because the schedule is very favorable for us.

Advertisement
Don’t be coy and stupid. The details were in the pudding last season. Rosier was awful and his 3rd down conversion % was an atrocious 25%. If he wins the job then I will support him but for right now we can wish for someone different. Hopefully he does lead us to the promised land because the schedule is very favorable for us.

It’s not just the job of the QB to convert 3rd downs, you know. And that job doesn’t just start on 3rd down, either. We were one of the worst teams on 3rd down because we were also pretty ****** on 1st and 2nd down.

I can’t seem to find an official stat, but I think it was during the Pitt game, one of the announcers remarked that we were last in the ACC in yards to gain on 3rd down, averaging a tad over 7 yards to go.

It’s not just the job of the QB to convert 3rd downs, you know. And that job doesn’t just start on 3rd down, either. We were one of the worst teams on 3rd down because we were also pretty ****** on 1st and 2nd down.

I can’t seem to find an official stat, but I think it was during the Pitt game, one of the announcers remarked that we were last in the ACC in yards to gain on 3rd down, averaging a tad over 7 yards to go.
Agreed. Rosier was equally crappy on first and second downs.

Agreed. Rosier was equally crappy on first and second downs.
Well, I happen to think that when you have a crappy QB, you don’t help matters much with run for no gain, run for 2, run for -1, run for 10, run for no gain.

Yeah, on paper that’s about 2.5-3 yards per carry, but when you can’t consistently count on your run gain to pick up 2 or 3 yards, it just makes QB issues that much more evident.

Advertisement
Well, I happen to think that when you have a crappy QB, you don’t help matters much with run for no gain, run for 2, run for -1, run for 10, run for no gain.

Yeah, on paper that’s about 2.5-3 yards per carry, but when you can’t consistently count on your run gain to pick up 2 or 3 yards, it just makes QB issues that much more evident.
Poor QB play compounds the issues with the run, in my opinion. When teams have no fear of your passing game, it's darn near impossible to impose your will in the run game. We need better QB play, and I don't care who we get it from.

Poor QB play compounds the issues with the run, in my opinion. When teams have no fear of your passing game, it's darn near impossible to impose your will in the run game. We need better QB play, and I don't care who we get it from.
You run the ball to set up the pass. That is the way football is played. That is why defenses are always built around, and very much live and die by their ability to stop the run. People love to bring up the UNC games and the Pitt games as examples of poor play from Rosier, and I'll give you the Pitt game, but no team wins when they only get 16 yards from their running backs. Yes. Opportunities were there and Rosier missed them, but it takes a buffoon to think that Rosier was the only problem we had that game. Pitt was horrible defending the run all year, but shut us down with **** near comical efficiency. UNC was the 117th ranked run defense playing with more injuries than the 1970 Thundering Herd, and they held us to 59 yards on 32 carries.

Pathetic. I don't care who our QB is. We are going to struggle when we run the ball like that.

Rosier's poor play allowed Pitt to destroy our run game with a 7 man front, huh? Interesting.

Advertisement
God, give it a rest Mr. Rosier.

Option A - defend my position that Pitt stuffed the box against us, even though they used 6-7 man fronts most of the game.

Option B - call him Mr. Rosier.

Oh my god, this is gonna be hilarious.

Rosier's poor play allowed Pitt to destroy our run game with a 7 man front, huh? Interesting.
So Pitt was not spying for the run? Even when they blitzed the corner and Rosier tried to run the 3 LB’s would be playing zone and came up to stop him

So Pitt was not spying for the run? Even when they blitzed the corner and Rosier tried to run the 3 LB’s would be playing zone and came up to stop him
Correct. Pitt played Cover 4/Quarters every single snap. Yes, they mixed in about a half dozen blitzes, but not on a single down, not even 3rd and 1s did they ever send more than 6–they blitzed with 2 on one play: every other blitz brought only 5–and there safeties were never less than 8 or 9 yards off the LOS.

Yes. I know Quarters is a cover scheme that is about as aggressive towards the run as it gets for zone, but make no mistake, Cover 4 base puts 7 defenders in coverage unless they read certain post snap run keys.

The 60th run defense held our running backs to 16 yards with their front 4.

Advertisement
Back