Jarren Williams best QB on Roster

It's way to quick to say who's the frontrunner. Playing Savannah St. doesn't provide defensive situations that test QB's. The jury should continue to deliberate after better competition.

Advertisement
Jarren wasn't with the 1s either.

He should be the starter but doesn't fully grasp the playbook, and if he starts this year you lose Rosier, Perry, and possibly Weldon next season to graduation and transfer. More than Perry i'd like to see Weldon get significant minutes moving forward. He has a compact motion and was the most accurate by many accounts. Let him get significant minutes over the next couple weeks to see what we have.

Cade has highest QBR and we never punted when he was running the second string offense.

I also would like to see what he can do w first team.

Not enough body of work to make the claim about Williams. He does look good. Just haven't seen enough and we may not.

I don't think Williams will be the guy this year. Knowledge of the playbook is a factor. The other cold hard truth is that if Williams became the starter say midseason, you would lose Perry and Weldon after the season. We would have 1 QB going into Sring and Fall. Ritch knows this.

The likely outcome is that Rosier is the starter for all of 2018. There will be a QB battle in the Spring that lasts thru the Fall. No QB will be named the 2019 starter until 2 weeks before the first game. This way all 3 QBs will remain on the roster until after the 2019 season.

We will need to recruit 2 QBs for the 2020 class. Preferably they are early enrollees so they could participate in the Spring 2020 practices. Otherwise, we could wind up with only 1 scholarship QB on the roster for Spring 2020 practices.
The problem I see with this is, if you keep Perry at 2 this year only for that reason, he will inevitably replace Malik when he struggles at some point this year & could keep the starting job (any good QB will pile up yards & put up points with our skill players, & Perry's more than talented enough). If this happens - knowing Richt has shown he will stick with the guy who's done it before regardless of ability (exactly what we're seeing now) - JW could find himself "stuck" behind a QB who's only one class ahead of him only due to seniority & seek a transfer himself.

There is no reason Jarren shouldn't already be above any of the other backups on the depth chart with his ability & early enrollment - which Richt has said essentially turns true freshmen into redshirt freshmen - unless Malik's performance vs LSU is an accurate representation of our staff's QB coaching & development skills. Bottom line is, according to what you're saying (which honestly isn't that far fetched), mismanagement of QB personel could be a determining factor in Richt not playing the best guy right now. That would be a bad situation that could get much worse.

Let's hope that isn't the case.

Where is this body of work that everyone keeps referencing to say Williams is the best quarterback on our roster right now? The critical term is right now. Look, I really like the kid and am excited about his future, but he did well in Spring and fall when he was mainly going against lower tier guys at practice and scrimmage. He came in Saturday and was OK but threw one ball that absolutely should have been an interception, and that was in some very limited throws. I think everybody is so eager to move beyond rosier, understandably so, that they are looking at Williams through totally tinted glasses. He may be our future but there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the position that he is the best we have to win a game right now.

Advertisement
One of the reasons why he may be #4 is not following Richts stringent system. Richt made a comment today that his TD was supposed to be a 100% give to the RB (Burns).

I personally like the QB to have the freedom to make a play.

Basically what He's saying is you can get away with that $h!t against an inferior opponent, but not against the tougher teams on our schedule.

Advertisement
Malik can't even get away with running plays the way he's supposed to against the tougher teams on our schedule because he can't execute.
Ya boy was 33% against D2 walk-ons and his lone TD he called his own number rather than the play the coaches called. Pump ya brakes. He looked good out there, and he looked the most settled of all the backups, but he needs time to get it all together. I agree with you that he's the future, but he's 4th on the chart for a reason. He didn't out play anybody Saturday.

Ya boy was 33% against D2 walk-ons and his lone TD he called his own number rather than the play the coaches called. Pump ya brakes. He looked good out there, and he looked the most settled of all the backups, but he needs time to get it all together. I agree with you that he's the future, but he's 4th on the chart for a reason. He didn't out play anybody Saturday.
Since you want to be that simplistic about his performance Saturday, if Pope doesn't slip on the second play, Jarren is 2/2 for 40yds & a TD in his first live action. The pass was on point & thrown with anticipation before Pope made his break & the defenders were scattered. No one on Savannah was stopping Pope from getting in from the 10. The one he did complete to Ezzard? Best pass of the night from any of our QBs according to Roman.

The sample size is small (I'm not including spring game stats & performances), but you picked a bad argument to make. As far as your agreeing with me, I've never considered him as just the future. I think he's the best we've got right now & only needs a chance - as in real reps with the ones - to prove it.

Advertisement
Since you want to be that simplistic about his performance Saturday, if Pope doesn't slip on the second play, Jarren is 2/2 for 40yds & a TD in his first live action. The pass was on point & thrown with anticipation before Pope made his break & the defenders were scattered. No one on Savannah was stopping Pope from getting in from the 10. The one he did complete to Ezzard? Best pass of the night from any of our QBs according to Roman.

The sample size is small (I'm not including spring game stats & performances), but you picked a bad argument to make. As far as your agreeing with me, I've never considered him as just the future. I think he's the best we've got right now & only needs a chance - as in real reps with the ones - to prove it.

Sorry, but the throw of the night was either Perry’s deep out to Cager or his TD to Brevin.

The throw to Ezzard was nice, but a tad behind. That’s nit picking it to **** because it was a nice throw. Pope slipped, but shlt happens. It’s why we don’t expect guys to be 100% all the time.

Williams needs to earn his reps with the ones by having stellar performances against the 2s and 3s. He hasn’t done that.

Sorry, but the throw of the night was either Perry’s deep out to Cager or his TD to Brevin.

The throw to Ezzard was nice, but a tad behind. That’s nit picking it to **** because it was a nice throw. Pope slipped, but shlt happens. It’s why we don’t expect guys to be 100% all the time.

Williams needs to earn his reps with the ones by having stellar performances against the 2s and 3s. He hasn’t done that.
You don't see how that pokes a hole in your "he was 33% vs D2 walk ons" argument when he only made 3 throws - the 3rd of which would have never happened if Pope doesn't slip?

Perry's throw to Cager was on a rope & on time (neither of which Malik can do consistently), but it also led him too far & was not made into a small window like JW's throw to Ezzard was, where there were DBs surrounding him on all sides. But yeah, all of it really is nitpicking. I'm honestly not surprised at this coming from you considering your prior QBs evaluations. Maybe you think making it look like Jarren had a bad first game will somehow vindicate you. I don't know.

Regardless, you have no idea what he's doing against the 2s & 3s in practice. If the spring game was any indication, he's probably shredding them. Comments made by his teammates back that up. This will come down to his inexperience & how ready CMR thinks he is as a true freshman. Meaningful live game reps over the coming weeks should answer that question.

Here’s the quote.

“He had his moments too,” Richt said of Williams. “He made a beautiful throw to Marquez Ezzard. The next throw was to Mark Pope and it looked like it was going to be wide open and Pope slipped coming out of his break. Jarren actually scored and pulled the ball when he should have handed it to Robert Burns. Jarren pulled it out of his belly and scored himself. It was supposed to be a 100 percent give.”

Richt is wrong here (Jarren May have called the wrong play) because the FB I believe was pulling around as a lead blocker for Williams. That play was def not a 100% give. I’m thinking Williams called a read/zone option instead of the run play.

So now we have people questioning our coach and what play was called when he emphatically stated clear as day what the play call is.

Jesus.

Same with the person that says they he likes the QB to have the freedom to make a play. Guess what, most QB's do, but not green *** QB's like Williams. Right there, if he does that a lot, is reason enough to have him at the bottom of the depth chart.

This isn't pickup football people in your backyard in middle school. You coach your players to do what you say and freelancing is a surefire way to never see the field. That's how costly mistakes happen and it drives any coach mad.

Advertisement
The problem I see with this is, if you keep Perry at 2 this year only for that reason, he will inevitably replace Malik when he struggles at some point this year & could keep the starting job (any good QB will pile up yards & put up points with our skill players, & Perry's more than talented enough). If this happens - knowing Richt has shown he will stick with the guy who's done it before regardless of ability (exactly what we're seeing now) - JW could find himself "stuck" behind a QB who's only one class ahead of him only due to seniority & seek a transfer himself.

There is no reason Jarren shouldn't already be above any of the other backups on the depth chart with his ability & early enrollment - which Richt has said essentially turns true freshmen into redshirt freshmen - unless Malik's performance vs LSU is an accurate representation of our staff's QB coaching & development skills. Bottom line is, according to what you're saying (which honestly isn't that far fetched), mismanagement of QB personel could be a determining factor in Richt not playing the best guy right now. That would be a bad situation that could get much worse.

Let's hope that isn't the case.
Williams doesn't have full command of the playbook. That's why he's 4th string. I wouldn't call it mismanagement of the QBs. If you recruit a QB every year ( and you should), you are going to have this problem. At least 1 guy is going to transfer regardless of who wins the job. If it's Williams, Perry and Weldon will both likely transfer. That's just the way it is. Not having a QB in the 2019 cycle could present a huge problem next year if we lose two QBs. Actually, it will be a problem even if we lose one QB because we won't have a 3rd string QB on the roster which could affect development of WRs not in the two deep rotation and we wont get a good look on the scout team offense with a walk-on QB or perhaps the #2 QB has to be the scout team QB as well.

Advertisement
Back