Jaquan Johnson

I just think if Jaquan is being asked to play the same role as Grace, he's going to get absolutely trucked at times. He make some plays for sure, but I just think at his size he's going to get totally lost in the wash at times.

Advertisement
We're still a 43. If the SAM/Nickel flips alignment according to formation strength, it's a 43. The 425 features a S$ and a W$ who align according to ball placement. The S$ plays to the field; the W$ plays to the boundary. They are locked into those positions regardless of formation or motion. All of this is done because the 425 is a sectional defense with split field coverage and two formation strengths--a run strength and a passing strength.

Everyone needs to stop using the term 425 in this context. We sound uninformed. The only thing 425 about this situation is body type: We're playing with two linebackers, three safeties, and a two corners. "Nickel," "42 Nickel" or something to that effect would work better in this context. Really, we are playing a true 43 with Nickel Personnel. The fact that the nickel is a safety or a corner is irrelevant. He's a DB. Nickels can be classified as their own position. Not all Corners have the skillset to play Nickel; not all Safeties have the skillset to play Nickel; and some Linebackers DO have the skillset to play Nickel.

This is not a true 4-3. It is basically a 4-2-5. Last year at miss st diaz took a safety who was similar size to grace and put him at "sam". This isnt exactly the same defense he used to run at texas. Its more of a hybrid defense. Grace was not being used as a traditional sam in the scheme. They were using him like a rover in the 4-2-5. That's what jaquan will be doing, basically being a rover.

Call it Nickel, call it a hybrid, call it whatever, but don't call it a 425. The 425 is a system, not a package. Teams base out of a 425. If you watch Diaz's defenses, they function like a 43. The only thing hybrid about his system is choice in personnel. You're wrong about how they were using Grace. If you watched the spring game, you would have seen Grace playing in a 50 stack alignment with a 9tech covering him up--that screams traditional 43. If Grace was playing as an overhang with a 6tech/7tech taking C gap, then you would have an argument.

I challenge you to do some research on how defenses operate. Check out how they classify positions, how they align, how they determine strength. When you have a true Mike, and you SAM/Nickel and WILL are flip flopping according to strength, then you're playing a 43. It doesn't matter if your SAM/NICKEL is 190 lbs. Again, I need to emphasize that the 425 is a BASE SYSTEM with unique positions and unique operation concepts. It is not a package.

Dont have to do research. Im well aware what a 4-2-5 and a 4-3 defense is and different assingnments. Is the defense a true 4-2-5 like tcu? No but it is a 4-3 with some 4-2-5 concepts. As far as safety diaz and banda actually refer to the safeties as field and boundary, and rover.
So i will continue to call it a 4-2-5 when i see 3 safties on the field playing the roles.

You still don't understand how a pure 5-spoke secondary functions. It's what makes a nickel based system unique. That is the only truly unique 425 concept. We don't play with 5-spoke secondary rules. We play with traditional secondary rules. Everything else you're talking about is personnel. The fact that we play a safety at that position rather than a corner or a linebacker changes nothing. What if we sub Corn into that spot? Does it convert the defense into something else?

You can call it whatever you want. I'm not here to talk down on people. I'm here to share what I have learned. I challenged you to look up those things not as an insult but as a friendly suggestion. Really, do some research. I do it all the time. It's good to keep learning. I'm just looking out :D

Like i said i know what a 4-2-5 is. I played d-line in a 4-2-5, 4-3, and 3-4. Im well aware what it is. You are harping on the point of a flat out 4-2-5 scheme and i call it it 4-2-5 because thats what the personnel is. Its 4 linemen, 2 LBs, and 5dbs. Nickel or 4-2-5 i call it the same despite the difference in the actual scheme.

[MENTION=538]rokulika[/MENTION]

Where is Jaquan on your power ranked list of possible moves to the LB position?

Advertisement
I just think if Jaquan is being asked to play the same role as Grace, he's going to get absolutely trucked at times. He make some plays for sure, but I just think at his size he's going to get totally lost in the wash at times.

How do the Arizona Cardinals successfully get away with playing a 200 pound dude at LB at the highest level of football?

Like Diaz said, it will all depend on the opponent. Playing teams like Clemson and UNC who spread you out most of the game Jaquan will fit perfectly there. Let him play out in space.
Now if we were playing a more traditional offense then McCloud will be used more in the base defense.

Look I'm just happy we are trying to put the best athletes on the field to try and stop these spread attacks. Under al we stayed in base defense and teams would role out 4 WR's and dude made ZERO adjustments.

Advertisement

How do the Arizona Cardinals successfully get away with playing a 200 pound dude at LB at the highest level of football?

You mean Deone Buchanon? He's 211, runs a 4.4, was a first round draft pick, a 1st team All-American, and started as a true freshman. So the fact that he's a sick player and athlete definitely helps.

Buchanon is an anomaly, not the norm. Using 1 LB out of 100 starting LB's in the NFL as an example isn't a strong case.

Jaquan is a good, smart, instinctual player - but he's 190, runs a 4.6 at best, and couldn't beat out Carter or Jenkins to start at Safety. He's a totally different level of athlete and player.

I'm not saying it can't or won't work, I'm just saying I'll be surprised if it does. The tone of these posts seem to be this is a great move to get a talented player on the field, when I think it's more a move the coaches have no choice but to make since we have zero depth at LB.

Advertisement
Back