Jaquan Johnson

Does Porter really know the difference between a 4-3 and a 4-2-5?

Good point

Doubt he knows a **** thing. He sees something and wants to tweet as fast as possible.

If his job was to report breakfast, he'd be tweeting about Kaaya having Corn Flakes and then have to back track if they were Frosted Flakes or Special K. But he'd get that first I saw a bowl full of milk tweet out there ahead of the other 3 imbeciles -- unless Susie sent it the night before guessing on the cereal of choice.

I saw a report from Susie saying Kaayas going to have a nice steak and potato dinner friday night

Advertisement
Let me add that it's more like the traditional Miami Over, though people use it differently nowadays, where the wide DE (usually in 9) is on same side of this "Sam" regardless of TE position. This player and Chad Thomas will consistently exchange C-Gap responsibilities. It's why Grace was so important and why Jaquan's tackling will be key. It's a big space and instincts are needed to fill it.

Agreed 100%. If we're going to play with a 9, then we need someone there with linebacker instincts. That exchange happens quick and that backer needs to scrape quick and tight.

Good point

Doubt he knows a **** thing. He sees something and wants to tweet as fast as possible.

If his job was to report breakfast, he'd be tweeting about Kaaya having Corn Flakes and then have to back track if they were Frosted Flakes or Special K. But he'd get that first I saw a bowl full of milk tweet out there ahead of the other 3 imbeciles -- unless Susie sent it the night before guessing on the cereal of choice.

:q3XKXeX:

We're still a 43. If the SAM/Nickel flips alignment according to formation strength, it's a 43. The 425 features a S$ and a W$ who align according to ball placement. The S$ plays to the field; the W$ plays to the boundary. They are locked into those positions regardless of formation or motion. All of this is done because the 425 is a sectional defense with split field coverage and two formation strengths--a run strength and a passing strength.

Everyone needs to stop using the term 425 in this context. We sound uninformed. The only thing 425 about this situation is body type: We're playing with two linebackers, three safeties, and a two corners. "Nickel," "42 Nickel" or something to that effect would work better in this context. Really, we are playing a true 43 with Nickel Personnel. The fact that the nickel is a safety or a corner is irrelevant. He's a DB. Nickels can be classified as their own position. Not all Corners have the skillset to play Nickel; not all Safeties have the skillset to play Nickel; and some Linebackers DO have the skillset to play Nickel.

This is not a true 4-3. It is basically a 4-2-5. Last year at miss st diaz took a safety who was similar size to grace and put him at "sam". This isnt exactly the same defense he used to run at texas. Its more of a hybrid defense. Grace was not being used as a traditional sam in the scheme. They were using him like a rover in the 4-2-5. That's what jaquan will be doing, basically being a rover.

Call it Nickel, call it a hybrid, call it whatever, but don't call it a 425. The 425 is a system, not a package. Teams base out of a 425. If you watch Diaz's defenses, they function like a 43. The only thing hybrid about his system is choice in personnel. You're wrong about how they were using Grace. If you watched the spring game, you would have seen Grace playing in a 50 stack alignment with a 9tech covering him up--that screams traditional 43. If Grace was playing as an overhang with a 6tech/7tech taking C gap, then you would have an argument.

I challenge you to do some research on how defenses operate. Check out how they classify positions, how they align, how they determine strength. When you have a true Mike, and you SAM/Nickel and WILL are flip flopping according to strength, then you're playing a 43. It doesn't matter if your SAM/NICKEL is 190 lbs. Again, I need to emphasize that the 425 is a BASE SYSTEM with unique positions and unique operation concepts. It is not a package.

^^^^this

Advertisement

Does Susan Miller Dykenan?

[TWEET]773522535543693312[/TWEET]
SAM is also the name of her outdated plug in fun toy
with that face you know she aint getting no vitamin D on the regular

Disgusted-gif.gif

We're still a 43. If the SAM/Nickel flips alignment according to formation strength, it's a 43. The 425 features a S$ and a W$ who align according to ball placement. The S$ plays to the field; the W$ plays to the boundary. They are locked into those positions regardless of formation or motion. All of this is done because the 425 is a sectional defense with split field coverage and two formation strengths--a run strength and a passing strength.

Everyone needs to stop using the term 425 in this context. We sound uninformed. The only thing 425 about this situation is body type: We're playing with two linebackers, three safeties, and a two corners. "Nickel," "42 Nickel" or something to that effect would work better in this context. Really, we are playing a true 43 with Nickel Personnel. The fact that the nickel is a safety or a corner is irrelevant. He's a DB. Nickels can be classified as their own position. Not all Corners have the skillset to play Nickel; not all Safeties have the skillset to play Nickel; and some Linebackers DO have the skillset to play Nickel.

This is not a true 4-3. It is basically a 4-2-5. Last year at miss st diaz took a safety who was similar size to grace and put him at "sam". This isnt exactly the same defense he used to run at texas. Its more of a hybrid defense. Grace was not being used as a traditional sam in the scheme. They were using him like a rover in the 4-2-5. That's what jaquan will be doing, basically being a rover.

Call it Nickel, call it a hybrid, call it whatever, but don't call it a 425. The 425 is a system, not a package. Teams base out of a 425. If you watch Diaz's defenses, they function like a 43. The only thing hybrid about his system is choice in personnel. You're wrong about how they were using Grace. If you watched the spring game, you would have seen Grace playing in a 50 stack alignment with a 9tech covering him up--that screams traditional 43. If Grace was playing as an overhang with a 6tech/7tech taking C gap, then you would have an argument.

I challenge you to do some research on how defenses operate. Check out how they classify positions, how they align, how they determine strength. When you have a true Mike, and you SAM/Nickel and WILL are flip flopping according to strength, then you're playing a 43. It doesn't matter if your SAM/NICKEL is 190 lbs. Again, I need to emphasize that the 425 is a BASE SYSTEM with unique positions and unique operation concepts. It is not a package.

Dont have to do research. Im well aware what a 4-2-5 and a 4-3 defense is and different assingnments. Is the defense a true 4-2-5 like tcu? No but it is a 4-3 with some 4-2-5 concepts. As far as safety diaz and banda actually refer to the safeties as field and boundary, and rover.
So i will continue to call it a 4-2-5 when i see 3 safties on the field playing the roles.

Dont have to do research. Im well aware what a 4-2-5 and a 4-3 defense is and different assingnments. Is the defense a true 4-2-5 like tcu? No but it is a 4-3 with some 4-2-5 concepts. As far as safety diaz and banda actually refer to the safeties as field and boundary, and rover.
So i will continue to call it a 4-2-5 when i see 3 safties on the field playing the roles.

You still don't understand how a pure 5-spoke secondary functions. It's what makes a nickel based system unique. That is the only truly unique 425 concept. We don't play with 5-spoke secondary rules. We play with traditional secondary rules. Everything else you're talking about is personnel. The fact that we play a safety at that position rather than a corner or a linebacker changes nothing. What if we sub Corn into that spot? Does it convert the defense into something else?

You can call it whatever you want. I'm not here to talk down on people. I'm here to share what I have learned. I challenged you to look up those things not as an insult but as a friendly suggestion. Really, do some research. I do it all the time. It's good to keep learning. I'm just looking out :D

Advertisement
Let me add that it's more like the traditional Miami Over, though people use it differently nowadays, where the wide DE (usually in 9) is on same side of this "Sam" regardless of TE position. This player and Chad Thomas will consistently exchange C-Gap responsibilities. It's why Grace was so important and why Jaquan's tackling will be key. It's a big space and instincts are needed to fill it.

Agreed 100%. If we're going to play with a 9, then we need someone there with linebacker instincts. That exchange happens quick and that backer needs to scrape quick and tight.
In real life, no matter how good Grace would have been and what a nice fit Jaquan will be, we're likely going to allow some gashing runs against the top teams. In fall, saw the sea open up a few times and it had to do with Diaz's aggressive attacks *across* multiple gaps. Sometimes big losses. Sometimes huge gains because this "LB" would just lose leverage.

We shall see. Think we're going to like Diaz's blitz packages. They border on chaos.

[MENTION=9070]WestEndzone[/MENTION] dropping knowledge all up in this thread and he's 100% correct

How similar is our defense to Charles Kelly's and their use of the Star position. They tend to have 2 LBs on the field most of the time.

How similar is our defense to Charles Kelly's and their use of the Star position. They tend to have 2 LBs on the field most of the time.

I think Kelly really likes to have multiple hybrid players on his defense. They've jumped in and out of odd fronts quite a bit. When the Star position is on the field, they're playing with 33 personnel. The Star is more of a true Nickel here. I remember them having a hybrid DE/OLB position that essentially functions as a stand-up WDE. As it pertains to the Nickel/Star: I would say that our Sam/Nickel position is more Sam than Nickel and their Star position is more Nickel than Sam.

Advertisement

In real life, no matter how good Grace would have been and what a nice fit Jaquan will be, we're likely going to allow some gashing runs against the top teams. In fall, saw the sea open up a few times and it had to do with Diaz's aggressive attacks *across* multiple gaps. Sometimes big losses. Sometimes huge gains because this "LB" would just lose leverage.

We shall see. Think we're going to like Diaz's blitz packages. They border on chaos.

I'm anxious to see some of those blitzes too, though I've never been a fan of blitzing just to blitz (not saying that he does that or will do that). I think the best defenses can line up in base in stop everything you do. If we're getting gashed at that Sam spot, then we should scoot that 9tech inside, move the Sam to overhang and only ask him to be a contain player. The smallest jit, assuming he has a ***** or two loose, can squeeze the D gap no matter how large the blocker is.

I'm anxious to see some of those blitzes too, though I've never been a fan of blitzing just to blitz (not saying that he does that or will do that). I think the best defenses can line up in base in stop everything you do. If we're getting gashed at that Sam spot, then we should scoot that 9tech inside, move the Sam to overhang and only ask him to be a contain player. The smallest jit, assuming he has a ***** or two loose, can squeeze the D gap no matter how large the blocker is.

I've been told we played at the same High School. And, while the position may have been gone by the time you came around, what you described is the position I had to drop down (from FS, after our guy broke his clavicle) and play for the middle portion of my senior season: "monster." Not sure if you got a chance to play in or around that position. Sounds imposing, but it's the opposite. It was really just a Safety willing to get crushed.

Jaquan's perfect for a similar position because he's just a backyard football player willing to do anything. We actually just got better at defending screens.

I read this morning that Michigan brought 5 or more pass rushers 65% of Hawaii's drop backs last week. That's Don Brown's defense going against a team that you would presume would have trouble doing much of anything against Michigan's base.

Advertisement

I've been told we played at the same High School. And, while the position may have been gone by the time you came around, what you described is the position I had to drop down (from FS, after our guy broke his clavicle) and play for the middle portion of my senior season: "monster." Not sure if you got a chance to play in or around that position. Sounds imposing, but it's the opposite. It was really just a Safety willing to get crushed.

Jaquan's perfect for a similar position because he's just a backyard football player willing to do anything. We actually just got better at defending screens.

Nice! During my time there we played a 52 slant, like the 1983 Canes. Our S$ would invert as a contain player in Cover 3. Pretty much the same thing you described. Seldom did we have the S$ playing in a 2 shell. I played the DE/OLB position. Half the time I was a D gap contain player; the other half I was a C-gap player.

TCU, playing with defensive backs as D-gap players, has been able to hang with traditional power teams in the past. Check out the Rose bowl against Wisconsin a few years back:( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaJ3Yuchh0 ). They're an inverted Cover 2/Robber against 2 backs. Their S$ and W$, the contain players, are by no means physically imposing specimens. They were tough enough to hang with Wisconsin's big bodies.

We lose some pass rush and the exchange feature of playing with a 9/50 stack, but we're able to cover up that undersized player. The problem lies in teaching our DE's to play a 6 or 7 tech. I don't know if we've been doing throughout camp. 6 tech is really hard to teach, as it's a little like a 2 gap read. A good 6tech is such an asset though.

I read this morning that Michigan brought 5 or more pass rushers 65% of Hawaii's drop backs last week. That's Don Brown's defense going against a team that you would presume would have trouble doing much of anything against Michigan's base.

I should explain my opinion a little more. Philosophically, I think there should be a presumption against blitzing. Basically, you shouldn't blitz until you have a legitimate reason to blitz. Blitzes should be used to answer questions that arise.

You mentioned them blitzing on 65% of Hawaii's drop back passing plays. To me, that sounds like Don Brown liked to send at least one extra guy against the protection that Hawaii likes to run on obvious passing downs. To me, it looks like Don Brown had a reason to blitz. Some team like to protect the quarterback on passing downs, some don't.

Another point to make is the idea of playing two games on defense. Sometimes football games move in certain ways where you're playing two different styles of defense during any particular series. For example: against FAMU, we looked completely different on first and second down than we did on third down. Almost every team in football has a third and long package. You don't need to play defense on third down like you need to on first and second.

That's how you stop the spread - have to bring pressure creatively. Look at how Stanford has defended Oregon the past few years. They bring a extra rusher virtually every down.

Nice! During my time there we played a 52 slant, like the 1983 Canes. Our S$ would invert as a contain player in Cover 3. Pretty much the same thing you described. Seldom did we have the S$ playing in a 2 shell. I played the DE/OLB position. Half the time I was a D gap contain player; the other half I was a C-gap player.

TCU, playing with defensive backs as D-gap players, has been able to hang with traditional power teams in the past. Check out the Rose bowl against Wisconsin a few years back:( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaJ3Yuchh0 ). They're an inverted Cover 2/Robber against 2 backs. Their S$ and W$, the contain players, are by no means physically imposing specimens. They were tough enough to hang with Wisconsin's big bodies.

We lose some pass rush and the exchange feature of playing with a 9/50 stack, but we're able to cover up that undersized player. The problem lies in teaching our DE's to play a 6 or 7 tech. I don't know if we've been doing throughout camp. 6 tech is really hard to teach, as it's a little like a 2 gap read. A good 6tech is such an asset though.

Sounds like you played what we called "Blood" (OLB/DE). Fun spot.

Didn't see us play in the 6/7 during camp, but I didn't get to watch a ton. Mostly saw us playing wide and stuff I won't mention on the site till it's shown in a game. Ironically, D-Jax had been playing behind Chad in that wide DE role, but because of injury may have found a better spot for himself in the role AQM/Harris had been playing.

Someone we haven't talked about much or at all on this thread is Shaq. Really, really good at strong side gap responsibility. While I've made mention of him likely having issues in coverage (glad it happened to him against FAMU because he's probably the type to work on his drop immediately), I'm also curious to see how he holds up against backside play responsibility.

Advertisement
Back